5.0 out of 5 stars One Awesome Book -Review Updated 6/17/14

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Valid information
Published 15 days ago by swimmob

5.0 out of 5 stars One Awesome Book -Review Updated 6/17/14, April 17, 2014
This review is from: Gluten Freedom: The Nation's Leading Expert Offers the Essential Guide to a Healthy, Gluten-Free Lifestyle (Hardcover)
Wow, this is one great book. Let me start off by stating I have no idea if I have celiac disease. I'm totally convinced I have some form of gluten sensitivity, although I've never been tested. For years, I would experience general malaise, feel tired, irritable, have toe neuropathy, carpal tunnel symptoms, achy, stiff, painful, tender muscles and joints. I can add more symptoms, but you get the point. Several years ago, I went on a low carb diet to lose weight. I cut out all grains, and looking back, I had minimal gluten save for some soy sauce once in a blue moon. What happened? In about three months all my symptoms went away. I went off my diet, started eating a lot of gluten and guess what happened? You guessed it. It was around this time that "gluten free" was just beginning to be a household word. Yeah, I diagnosed myself and no longer eat gluten. I am fine. If I slip up in a restaurant where I know I have unwillingly been "glutenized", or if I have a day where I swallowed a stupid pill and willingly eat gluten, all those old symptoms come back. And let me tell you, it takes a good while for them to go away. Yeah, I know the medical community will tell me of the importance of getting tested, but why? When I keep away from gluten I feel great. When I eat it I feel awful. That's enough for me.

I was looking for a book on gluten that is current and has the latest research and facts. I wanted a book that talked about gluten sensitivity, not just celiac disease. I found it! Unlike some gluten books, this is a refreshing, interesting read, never dry, text-book boring. The story of wheat unfolds like a mystery! I admit, I'm not done reading it, but I just can't put it down.

If you are at all interested in what I call the "gluten phenomenon"...if you are celiac, have gluten allergies or just suspect you have some form of gluten intolerance, this book is for you. Highly recommended.

---------------------------------------------------------
I am updating this book to say that I am convinced this is the most up-to-date, exhaustive (in a good way) topic on the subject of gluten that I have ever read. So much of what we read on the internet is just heresey. For example, I was in fear of cosmetics for too long a time - I remember reading on the Gluten Free Girl blog that one must be careful with cosmetics, particularly lipstick. Well that theory has now been put to rest. Heck, you'd need to eat the whole tube of lipstick to get even a teeny amount of gluten in your system. I just can't say enough about this book in general. I'm so grateful I found it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, April 18, 2014
As soon as I started reading Gluten Freedom, I couldn't put it down. I have learned more things from this book than any physician, book and article that I have encountered. It contains four sections talking about everything from how gluten affects the brain to how to lead a gluten-free lifestyle. Highly recommend to anyone who has celiac disease, gluten sensitivity, is experiencing gluten-like symptoms, ect.

4.0 out of 5 stars learned a lot about Dr. Fasano and his work, June 4, 2014
Susan M. (Northeast USA) - See all my reviews
I was interested in this book because Dr. Fasano was mentioned several times in a recent online seminar series dealing with thyroid disease, which I have, and which apparently has gluten sensitivity connections which cause symptoms, many of which I also have. I bought this book based on the rave reviews of it, and also because I have a friend who was diagnosed a couple years ago with celiac disease and I was curious to learn more about it and how it relates to gluten sensitivity. It was engaging to learn about the history of celiac disease and about Dr. Fasano's wonderful contributions to the understanding and treatment of it which have allowed my friend to have good health at last. But honestly, after listening to all the presenters of the seminar I mentioned, I didn't learn much more from this book about how gluten can affect the body or about practical management of gluten sensitivity. If you are looking for a book that will inform you about celiac disease and it's history, written by the man who is changing that history, then you've found it in this book. For my interests, it was okay but I can't say I'm thrilled to have read it, it changed my life, or it was very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Praise for Dr. Fasano's "Gluten Freedom", April 17, 2014
"Gluten Freedom" is a godsend for the millions suffering not only from Celiac disease but also other autoimmune disorders who have been advised by their doctor to adopt a gluten-free lifestyle. Dr. Fasano masterfully presents the latest scientific research information and gives his readers hope and practical tools for understanding so they may begin to experience joy and happiness of eating real and delicious foods again without hesitation, embarrassment, or the risk of exacerbating their condition. I appreciate that Dr. Fasano takes the whole person into consideration and offers practical tools for understanding food as medicine that will surely empower his readers to embrace their healing journey. As a holistic registered nurse and certified holistic lifestyle and wellness coach who works with women struggling with chronic health issues and having personally experienced the life-altering effects of autoimmune disease, I trust Gluten Freedom as a valued resource and will recommend it to my clients.
~ Shannon Garrett BS, RN, CHLC,
@AutoimmuneRN

5.0 out of 5 stars The most thorough book Ive read on gluten sensitivity and celiac disease, August 30, 2014
I was diagnosed out of good luck by a very canny doctor, 33 years ago as with Celiac Disease and put on a strict diet. Seven years later I was declared completely cured, and broke my gluten free diet My intestines went crazy and sent me back to the gluten free diet. Six years ago my daughter, also celiac, and I opened a gluten free bakery, first of its kind, and complemented the store with industrially produced gluten free cereals, pastas, cookies and anything we can find. We serve people with many intolerances to gluten, lactose, eggs, etc every day, and hear many cases. After all these years and many good physicians during these years, I have never read a more thorought explanation of what s been happening to me, my daughters, my grandchildren, and why I lost a brother to the disease, as has Dr. Alessio Fasano and his team, in the Gluten Freedom book. I have been writing some reviews in the facebook page Panare Bakery, in Guatemala and given away many copies of this fantastic book that takes you throught the complete panorama of those of us that are gluten sensitive, and those that have celiac disease. It helps us undersand what going on in our bodies, and more important, how to live happily with this situation and learn how to eat properly for a better health. Thank you Dr Fasano, and I hope many many doctors and patients read you, to help undiagnosed people with Celiac Disease in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most thorough and factual guide on living gluten-free from our leading expert!, April 15, 2014
Gluten Freedom is an easy-to-read, comprehensive guide to living gluten-free. The book includes scientific facts, real-life stories from people who have been there, recipes, resources and more! Dr. Fasano truly outdid himself compiling this work. Highly recommended for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great info, July 29, 2014
Very informative book. For one who wants to understand the details of the disease, it was very satisfying to get the explanation from a pioneer and expert whose compassion showed through in his writing. For disease management tips, other books may be superior, but for understanding, this is the best one I found.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource!, June 18, 2014
During the writing of my own book on cooking to nourish your archetypes, I read Gluten Freedom by Dr. Alessio Fasano, MD, Founder and Director of the Celiac Research at Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School. Given that many of my own recipes feature gluten-free alternatives, I was eager to read an expert’s version of the history of gluten-related illnesses and to learn more about the current state of treatment. Dr. Fasano’s book did not disappoint. The book contains a comprehensive review of the spectrum of gluten-related disorders, and also includes chapters on discussing leaky gut (you’ll get introduced to zonulin) as well as gluten’s influence on brain chemistry. Gluten Freedom also discusses new treatments and therapies, including enzyme therapy, a “celiac pill” treatment, and the possible development of a therapeutic vaccine. The book also talks about methods for prevention including delaying gluten introduction until one year of age, which is now being studied.

Taking the subject to a richer level of detail and creativity, Gluten Freedom also offers several recipes to remove gluten from the menu including all-time favorites like chocolate chip cookies and gluten-free scones. There is a charming chapter called “Dinner with Dr. Fasano” where we learn about the region, Campania, where Dr. Fasano spent his childhood. He then offers what sounds like a heavenly five-course meal of gluten-free specialties including Capri Salad featuring Mozzarella di bufala di Campania — the soft mozzarella cheese from the Dr.’s home region.

I like how this book provides comprehensive information on gluten issues including an appendix of apps for mobile phones as well as an extensive list for recommended reading. There are also some excellent practical features like a “Wheat Alert” table of menu items that contain wheat, and a stage-by-stage life guide for how to avoid gluten from cradle to grave.

After finishing the book, I was still left with a question, which I posed to the authors: “Is there any value in a low-gluten diet even if you don’t have gluten sensitivity? Does it help to diversify the grains we eat? If gluten calories are substituted with more fruits and vegetables, would that be better for overall health?”

Pam Cureton, one of the contributing writers for the book and a registered dietitian at the Center for Celiac Research and Treatment, responded:

“No, there is no advantage to following a low-gluten diet for those who tolerate gluten. There is, however, an advantage to eating more whole, natural foods and reducing the amount of processed foods to reduce unwanted levels of sodium, sugar, fats and extra calories. For people who tolerate gluten, these are the problem ingredients, not the wheat, rye or barley. Including these as whole grains along with other ancient grains, amaranth, millet, sorghum and others, would benefit everyone.”

I’m glad my own oatmeal-chocolate chip cookie recipe contains sorghum! Thanks, Pam! And thanks to Dr. Fasano and all the contributors to Gluten Freedom — helping us navigate this difficult health and dietary issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ, April 18, 2014
Well-written, informative book for anyone with celiac disease or gluten-related disorders. Includes the latest research by a top expert in the field. I read it very quickly and understood it, even with my celiac brain fog. I will be reading it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gluten Sensitivities, June 13, 2014
Dr Fasano, what a blessing that 'serendipity took you down a different path'. You are way ahead of the pack. Please keep the excellent research going. As for the skeptics - it's their loss. I'm one of those emerging minorities with gluten sensitivities that perhaps skeptics don't believe exist. Last year my 11 year old granddaughter became allergic to wheat. Her mother (my daughter) is now also gluten sensitive. What's going on !!

"Gluten Freedom" has given me additional information, guidance and advice on top of other books which I have read ie Grain Brain, Wheat Belly, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis Root Cause, Body Ecology Diet and many many more.

Being a little bit sick is frustrating, debilitating and lingers with you each day. I wasn't prepared to sit around and wait for a worse diagnosis so decided to research, research, research. This word "gluten" popped up everywhere - so I took notice. Giving up gluten in March 2013 was the key to turning my health around - Amen. This was confirmed 9 months later for me by a holistic Dr, who by the way, mentioned Dr Fasano's research to me. As soon as his book was published I purchased it.

I thoroughly recommend Gluten Freedom by Dr Alessio Fasano as a must read if you want to start reclaiming your health. You have nothing to lose but everything to gain.

$24.95 $19.05