Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on April 17, 2014
Wow, this is one great book. Let me start off by stating I have no idea if I have celiac disease. I'm totally convinced I have some form of gluten sensitivity, although I've never been tested. For years, I would experience general malaise, feel tired, irritable, have toe neuropathy, carpal tunnel symptoms, achy, stiff, painful, tender muscles and joints. I can add more symptoms, but you get the point. Several years ago, I went on a low carb diet to lose weight. I cut out all grains, and looking back, I had minimal gluten save for some soy sauce once in a blue moon. What happened? In about three months all my symptoms went away. I went off my diet, started eating a lot of gluten and guess what happened? You guessed it. It was around this time that "gluten free" was just beginning to be a household word. Yeah, I diagnosed myself and no longer eat gluten. I am fine. If I slip up in a restaurant where I know I have unwillingly been "glutenized", or if I have a day where I swallowed a stupid pill and willingly eat gluten, all those old symptoms come back. And let me tell you, it takes a good while for them to go away. Yeah, I know the medical community will tell me of the importance of getting tested, but why? When I keep away from gluten I feel great. When I eat it I feel awful. That's enough for me.

I was looking for a book on gluten that is current and has the latest research and facts. I wanted a book that talked about gluten sensitivity, not just celiac disease. I found it! Unlike some gluten books, this is a refreshing, interesting read, never dry, text-book boring. The story of wheat unfolds like a mystery! I admit, I'm not done reading it, but I just can't put it down.

If you are at all interested in what I call the "gluten phenomenon"...if you are celiac, have gluten allergies or just suspect you have some form of gluten intolerance, this book is for you. Highly recommended.

---------------------------------------------------------
I am updating this book to say that I am convinced this is the most up-to-date, exhaustive (in a good way) topic on the subject of gluten that I have ever read. So much of what we read on the internet is just heresey. For example, I was in fear of cosmetics for too long a time - I remember reading on the Gluten Free Girl blog that one must be careful with cosmetics, particularly lipstick. Well that theory has now been put to rest. Heck, you'd need to eat the whole tube of lipstick to get even a teeny amount of gluten in your system. I just can't say enough about this book in general. I'm so grateful I found it!
55 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2014
I was diagnosed out of good luck by a very canny doctor, 33 years ago as with Celiac Disease and put on a strict diet. Seven years later I was declared completely cured, and broke my gluten free diet My intestines went crazy and sent me back to the gluten free diet. Six years ago my daughter, also celiac, and I opened a gluten free bakery, first of its kind, and complemented the store with industrially produced gluten free cereals, pastas, cookies and anything we can find. We serve people with many intolerances to gluten, lactose, eggs, etc every day, and hear many cases. After all these years and many good physicians during these years, I have never read a more thorought explanation of what s been happening to me, my daughters, my grandchildren, and why I lost a brother to the disease, as has Dr. Alessio Fasano and his team, in the Gluten Freedom book. I have been writing some reviews in the facebook page Panare Bakery, in Guatemala and given away many copies of this fantastic book that takes you throught the complete panorama of those of us that are gluten sensitive, and those that have celiac disease. It helps us undersand what going on in our bodies, and more important, how to live happily with this situation and learn how to eat properly for a better health. Thank you Dr Fasano, and I hope many many doctors and patients read you, to help undiagnosed people with Celiac Disease in the world.
on July 29, 2014
Very informative book. For one who wants to understand the details of the disease, it was very satisfying to get the explanation from a pioneer and expert whose compassion showed through in his writing. For disease management tips, other books may be superior, but for understanding, this is the best one I found.
on April 18, 2014
As soon as I started reading Gluten Freedom, I couldn't put it down. I have learned more things from this book than any physician, book and article that I have encountered. It contains four sections talking about everything from how gluten affects the brain to how to lead a gluten-free lifestyle. Highly recommend to anyone who has celiac disease, gluten sensitivity, is experiencing gluten-like symptoms, ect.
on June 4, 2014
I was interested in this book because Dr. Fasano was mentioned several times in a recent online seminar series dealing with thyroid disease, which I have, and which apparently has gluten sensitivity connections which cause symptoms, many of which I also have. I bought this book based on the rave reviews of it, and also because I have a friend who was diagnosed a couple years ago with celiac disease and I was curious to learn more about it and how it relates to gluten sensitivity. It was engaging to learn about the history of celiac disease and about Dr. Fasano's wonderful contributions to the understanding and treatment of it which have allowed my friend to have good health at last. But honestly, after listening to all the presenters of the seminar I mentioned, I didn't learn much more from this book about how gluten can affect the body or about practical management of gluten sensitivity. If you are looking for a book that will inform you about celiac disease and it's history, written by the man who is changing that history, then you've found it in this book. For my interests, it was okay but I can't say I'm thrilled to have read it, it changed my life, or it was very helpful.
44 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Gluten Freedom is an easy-to-read, comprehensive guide to living gluten-free. The book includes scientific facts, real-life stories from people who have been there, recipes, resources and more! Dr. Fasano truly outdid himself compiling this work. Highly recommended for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
on August 29, 2014
Written by an undisputed expert in the field of gluten-related disorders, this book is a great blend of scientific information and reality-based advice. The author's knowledge is credible and deeply detailed, and he conveys this in a way regular folks can read and learn. He uses patient stories, recipes and even their own words to illustrate how integrating gluten-free choices in life is possible and even pleasant. Whether you have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, this is a reference book you'll read over and over.
on April 18, 2014
I had the pleasure of previewing Dr. Fasano's book Gluten Freedom last week. I could not put the book down! While I personally do not suffer from Celiac disease, I do suffer from several other debilitating Auto Immune diseases. I began having symptoms of severe brain fog and was having major events in my life, like my daughters first words and first time walking, wiped away. There were days I could not walk, could not get out of bed, could not dress myself. I was desperate for any form of relief! Dr. Fasano's book opened my eyes to many fact about gluten issues I did not know. He explained the difference between Celiac disease, which I learned through his book is the only current Auto Immune disease with a known cure, Gluten allergy and gluten intolerance. Dr. Fasano's Gluten Freedom gives you easy to understand information and useful tips to help you figure out which, if any, you may have, how to help understand a loved one suffering from any and easy guidelines to make the change over to gluten free living. Once I removed gluten from my diet completely, my brain fog eased and I regained some movement back in my joints. I will not get back the memories I have lost and it can't fully remove the inflammation in my joints, but some improvement is better than no improvement. I highly recommend Dr. Fasano's book. You will not be disappointed!
on October 25, 2014
Re-reading this now. Dr. Fasano is like a new lamp lighted in a dark corner. It shows the good stuff, but also the cobwebs. I live in an area where few people are progressive, including the few doctors available. No one is up to date on this subject and many still think it's a fad disease. Wish I lived in a more enlightened area. So far, I am treating myself using his guidelines.
on September 30, 2015
The leading celiac doc wrote this, so it's info you can trust. He goes into great detail explaining celiac and gluten sensitivity, which I appreciate. I feel much more educated and understand the disorders much better now.