5.0 out of 5 stars Simply great
This is the first BOTH gluten-free AND sugar-free cookbook I managed to find and I absolutely LOVE it!

There's hardly a recipe I don't like, and all of the ones I tried are absolutely delicious and quite simple. (e.g. one of my favorites is the crepes recipe)

Published on August 31, 2006 by HealthNut

2.0 out of 5 stars Not For People in Need of a Sugar-Free Diet
Published on December 9, 2011 by Artista

2.0 out of 5 stars Not For People in Need of a Sugar-Free Diet, December 9, 2011
This review is from: Gluten-free, Sugar-free Cooking: Over 200 Delicious Recipes to Help You Live a Healthier, Allergy-Free Life (Paperback)
I gave it 2 stars for the gluten-free recipes, which may be good, but I bought the book for the sugar-free recipes. I'm hypoglycemic, so I was excited to come across a this cookbook. This book uses Agave instead of white sugar. I don't care what you call it...Agave has the same effect on me as sugar. It is not for people who need to live sugar-free! I've tried it several times and it puts me in the up & down roller coaster just like sugar or honey. So I researched it, and indeed it is not for sugar sensitive people and has many undesirable side effects. Stevia does not throw my blood sugar out of wack, and many other non-sugar sweeteners, such as xylitol & Tagatose are truly sugar substitutes.
If you are on a sugar-free diet for diabetes, hypoglycemia, or any other reason, this is NOT the book for you, as it seems it is not what we think of when we see the title "sugar free" recipe book...which I would take as a book with recipes that are safe for sugar sensitive people or anyone wanting to avoid the effects of sugar in their diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply great, August 31, 2006

It's perfect not only for people with celiac disease and other food intolerances, but also for health-conscious gourmets who while trying eating healthy, are not willing to give up the taste.

Oh, and the ingredients are NOT hard to find, provided you've heard of sth called heath food store.

If there's one thing I'd improve, it would be more recipes using stevia, which is hardly present in the book. Agave's great but stevia's way better. I also hope that the author will discover coconut flour and maybe utilize it in her future recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of All!, October 19, 2006
Barbara Schiltz "nutrbarb" (Gig Harbor, WA United States) - See all my reviews
As a nutritionist, one of my biggest frustrations has been helping gluten-free patients with HEALTHY recipes that are free of refined sugars...... Bingo! Sue O'Brien has done it and done it well. The ingredients are all easy to find in a health food store. Her descriptions of the alternative ingredients are very helpful.I have tried and tasted many recipes and have found then all delicious and healthy too. All other Gluten-free cookbooks use an abundance of refined sugars. I recommend this book as a first line to my gluten-free patients and have used it as gifts for my family and friends! Please write another, Sue!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tasting healthy recipes I ever made, October 29, 2006
This book has some of the best tasting healthy recipes I ever made... no compromises on ingredients, all of which I was able to find at the local health food store. I 've gotten tired of healthy but "cardboard" cooking, and this book helped me, particulary with snacks and desserts I could enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - a cookbook for ME, September 28, 2008
I bought this book yesterday and today I made crepes and brown rice pudding. Both fantastic! I then went directly to the health food store and purchased everything I need to make several more recipes to try. These recipes have taste and flavor, I can't wait to make more recipes from this book. I am on a dairy free, gluten free, low glycemic index, and yeast free diet. I also LOVE to cook, and for the 6 weeks I have been on this new way of life for me, food has been bland. Until yesterday when I found this book! Thank you Ms O'Brien for bringing joy back to eating and cooking for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many obvious recipies, October 19, 2007
A cookbook for gluten free cooking should concentrate on foods that usually contain gluten. There are only a few recipies for breads and desserts. Main dishes, vegetables and salads seldom contain gluten or sugar anyway and this cookbook has 145 pages out of 207 of these recipies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy and Tasty, August 27, 2005
MDC (Broomall, PA) - See all my reviews
Because the explanations are thorough and easy to understand, I found the recipes to be uncomplicated and simple to prepare. One of the particularly beneficial features of the book is the variety of recipes offered. I was pleasantly surprised by how tasty healthy substitutions can be!

I would highly recommend this book to anyone with food allergies, parents of children with food-related behavioral difficulties, or those who simply want to follow a healthy lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, October 11, 2008
I have made about 10 of the receipes in this book and each one has turned out terrific. This was the first cookbook I found when I found out I needed to stay away from gluten and while I was already eating sugar-free, the book has helped blend the two together. The receipes are simple and not too many ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Gluten-free cookbook I have found, December 27, 2007
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a little over a year ago, and was frustrated to find that most gluten-free cookbooks out there (ex., The gluten-free gourmet) mostly contained desserts and breads with high fat and high sugar contents instead of healthy meal ideas, and/or recipes that took forever to make and had a million hard to find ingredients. As someone who has always been health concious (I was diagnosed with Diabetes I at age 7) and doesn't always have a lot of time to cook (finishing college), this book has been a godsend. All of the recipes I have tried have been delicious, and most take less than an hour to make. I highly recommmend this book to anyone with celiac disease who wants to maintain a HEALTHY, flavorful, gluten-free lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, October 12, 2006
M. Doran (United States) - See all my reviews
I have tried many of the recipes and have enjoyed them all. The recipes are easy to follow and I have not had problems finding ingredients at Health Food Stores and many large grocery stores even cary much of what I need. I love the variety and the fact that there are ideas for every-day meals as well as wonderful main dishes to show off at a dinner party or pot-luck. Anyone will enjoy these dishes whether they are on restricted diets or not.