5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the family.
A wonderful movie that my children loved going to. While maybe not the best animated movie of all times it was cute and explored a story line that was new....not just the villain and the super hero story line. It kept you interested and did not cause me to look at my watch to see "how much longer."

SPOILER ALERT:

For those who are disappointed that...
Published on March 30, 2011 by L. Ryder

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5* - Young children will love it
Published on March 14, 2011 by Z Hayes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the family., March 30, 2011
L. Ryder (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews

SPOILER ALERT:

For those who are disappointed that it did not hold true to Romeo and Juliet dieing...seriously...do we really need little kids to attach to a character who then in the ends commits suicide and "the love of her life" kills himself. Can't we leave the harshness out of a children's movie and let them laugh and be children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for what it is, June 15, 2011
I was not looking forward to watching this movie, My wife saw it for 8.99 new from a seller and BAM two days later it was in my mailbox!!

I almost threw it away and hope she would forget about ordering......however right when I walked in the door, "did my movie come!?!?!"

As you could guess an hour later I was watching it and to mu surprise this was not a bad little movie. not a great Disney classic but I have seen much worse as of late, very cute movie and would be great for any family or for any couple that like a little goofy in there romance.

I would actually watch this movie again and recommend for others to as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5* - Young children will love it, March 14, 2011
This review is from: Gnomeo & Juliet (DVD)
As parents to a six-year-old girl, my husband and I are constantly on the look-out for tolerable kid-friendly shows that we can take her to (at the movies). I say tolerable because quality is often lacking in many of these films and then there's the issue of PG vs. G ratings. Well, when we heard Gnomeo and Juliet was being screened at our local cinema, we decided to give it a try, and to our surprise, our picky 6-year-old loved it!

I have to say that this movie is mainly for young children. It is full of color, which will appeal to most kids, and there are adorable garden gnomes running around. My husband fell asleep within fifteen minutes (to be fair, he had had a long day at work), but my daughter's attention was riveted to the screen from the beginning till the end. Me? I enjoyed the music (thanks to Elton John who obligingly helped with the soundtrack featuring his classic hits - his partner David Furnish was a producer on this film). I also sort of enjoyed the silly premise - instead of the doomed star-crossed Romeo and Juliet, we have warring garden gnomes, the Reds and the Blues, and two impish and totally cute gnomes, Juliet (a Red, voiced by Emily Blunt) and Gnomeo (a Blue, voiced by James McAvoy) who flirt and later fall for each other despite their differences.

The casting is a sort of coup really given the famous names featured here - there's Jim Cummings, Patrick Stewart, Dolly Parton, Ozzy Osbourne, and many more! The movie is a kaleidoscope of color and at times this can get a tad overwhelming but the children appeared to love it, so my verdict - awesome entertainment for the kiddie set!

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked someone else's title, "better than it should have been", May 1, 2011
Red Ball Jets (Richmond, Va. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gnomeo & Juliet (DVD)
I went to the drive-in to see this movie last night with my 9YO child (at their suggestion) and I would latter find out that was their second time seeing this movie.

5 minutes into this movie I was saying to myself, "this is going to be a LONG 90 minutes and I hope it goes by quickly".

About 15 minutes into the movie, everything started to come together and I found myself very interested.

Then, what felt like the blink of an eye, the movie was over and I found myself yearning for more.

I loved it and I'm typically a critical person. I'm going to purchase it once it comes out.

If you have any expectations of this movie you're going to be disappointed. It's a "G" rated movie with a very simple story line. Considering and stating that, I think all age groups could appreciate this movie.

I found it to be cute and adorable and a tear-jerker at some points.

If you liked Curious George, I think you would like this?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Kids Movie! 5 Stars!!!, June 30, 2011
This review is from: Gnomeo & Juliet (DVD)
We got this movie first from NetFlix. My nephew has been watching it non-stop every night for two weeks! To surprise him I ordered it from Amazon and it came today lightning fast before we had even sent back our copy to NetFlix. My nephew is thrilled! This movie is absolutely adorable! Very cute and funny, great music. He loves it;) We have been on the hunt for Firestone the pink flamingo! He wants two for our backyard just like in the movie! We give 5 stars!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wherefore art thou, Gnomeo? He's in the garden with the other lawn creatures!, June 1, 2011
It's certainly a novel concept, despite the fact that Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet has been retold in almost every form, from West Side Story to The Flintstones. In the case of Gnomeo and Juliet, the story becomes one of lawn gnomes, the "red" and "blue" groups who live next door to each other in a British suburb.

Lawn gnomes and gardening are popular in the U.S. to be sure, but their is a significant passion and pride in gardens that is decidedly English. That doesn't mean Americans won't "get it;" and as a matter of fact, the film was a surprise box office hit domestically. Just pointing out that the tone, comedy and the cast is predominately English, which suits Anglophiles like me just fine.

It's a very funny film, not so much an animated film in the Disney Cinderella sense than in the Disney Jungle Book sense -- a collection of funny set pieces arranged around a simple storyline with some tender moments here and there. The film was released under the Touchstone banner rather than Disney, perhaps because it doesn't follow the Disney mold in general and contains a few naughty bits, like the one gnome who runs around in a Borat-like swimsuit.

Overall, it's a charming, witty romp, beautifully designed and executed (though I kind of liked the second alternate ending better than the one that was used).

The voice cast is excellent, but the stars are really the Elton John/Bernie Taupin hits that complement the story, including two superb new songs (John himself appears in a bonus feature). The songs don't seem clumsily shoehorned into the story as an excuse to use them; they fit remarkably well.

Sir Elton was reportedly miffed that the film was not given what he perceived as sufficient support, yet it did quite well anyway. I can't help wondering how much more of a sensation it would have been had it been released shortly after The Lion King, which would have capitalized on the new renown for Elton John and when his music catalog was at the perfect age for nostalgia and the fascination each generation has with whatever was popular two decades before it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great use of 3D - Laughs & Smiles Abound, May 25, 2011
This review is from: Gnomeo and Juliet (Three-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD + Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
Going into this movie blind, with no expectations, and "negative critic review" skepticism, I came out smiling and applauding to the credits. The story is not to be compared strictly to the Shakespeare play, but it gives plenty of "easter egg" nods of acknowledgment to the masterpiece, including one very special (and clever) appearance that was quite a surprise to see! No spoilers here..

Watching feuding gnomes in glorious color and animation will enchant the little ones, but the humor and script will captivate the older audiences, including everyone from young adult college kids (I'm 25 myself) to parents and grandparents. Keep your eyes peeled, and your ears perked, for fun and hilarious references throughout. The cast is a treat including everyone from Ozzy Osbourne to Michael Caine, and the music is great too, especially if you're a "classic rock" Elton John fan from days past. Every tune is either strictly from his library or carefully paraphrased background music that sends subliminal messages making you question, "Which one is that one?" Of course, each familiar number makes you want to sing along.

As for the 3D, at first I thought some of the tricks at the beginning were "cheap" tricks, as are present in all 3D movies.. then the 3D opens up with some really awesome scenes which make parts of the scenery push through the screen and hover over the living room floor, from sprinkling water to the roofs of work-sheds to blades of grass to dusty debris to beautiful flowers. The crystal clear 1080p resolution brings out the rustic look of the gnomes, and the colorful palette of detail bursts with life on your 3D television. It's also a nice touch to have "full screen" 1.85:1 aspect ratio that fills your widescreen display without any black bars on the top and bottom.

Overall, I went into this film with unfortunate doubts clouding my own judgment. The resulting smiles never ceased, the laughs were never forced, and I truly felt great when the credits rolled. The good feeling you have when you eat a really tasty meal, or walk out of a difficult exam, relieved and content?

Yea, that feeling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gnomes With Attitudes, April 24, 2011
Took my granddaughter to see this with zero expectation of enjoying it, (SPOILER) but when I saw Jason Statham as the bully and the great Death Race scene, I perked up. A lot of other movie references and great Elton John music (Elton Johns gnome cracked me up) made this the best Shakespeare movie since Shakespeare In Love. A lot of the humor will go right over kids heads, but they'll love the colorful characters and music.

5.0 out of 5 stars great kid family friendly movie, April 16, 2011
This review is from: Gnomeo & Juliet (DVD)
I am very picky on what my daughter is allowed to watch. This movie earned the PG rating and was still entertaining for me. I laughed and was very pleased with it. My three year old didnt once ask to get up from her seat!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction, April 11, 2011
M. Gobet (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gnomeo & Juliet (DVD)
Our Movie day was suppose to be a Girls Day out with daughter and 3 year old Granddaughter. Not sure if this movie would keep her interest. But darned if it didn't. Granddaughter was totally into the story, she could pick out the hero (Romeo) the pretty girl (Juliet) and villian. Daughter and I enjoyed the Shakespeare references and spoofs. the voice overs were great to challenge your ears. And the music, well, Sir Elton was from my Era so I enjoyed all the tunes.
Good movie for all ages. And good introduction to Shakespeare. Now the granddaughter will be able to look for this classic tale echoed in many books and movies to come.

Gnomeo and Juliet (Three-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD + Digital Copy)
$35.99 $12.99