5.0 out of 5 stars A children's masterpiece as simple and complex as a haiku
Published on April 10, 2000 by hyperbolium

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch these dogs go!
Published on December 11, 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars A children's masterpiece as simple and complex as a haiku, April 10, 2000
I was well into my 30s before I realized that this was not a Dr. Seuss book. Given that it's issued in the same size and binding, I'd always assumed it was written by Seuss. My realization that it was written and illustrated by P.D. Eastman cleared one of my largest childhood confusions: I *loved* "Go Dog Do," and merely *liked* "The Cat in the Hat." Years later I realize that Eastman's art is funny, while Seuss's is fantastic, and I prefer the former to the latter. As another reviewer mentioned, you can stare at these dogs for a long time -- there's incredible depth to the expressions and postures of these seemingly simple illustrations. The insomniac dog who sleeps through the next morning's reveille is a favorite! The repetitive narration is similarly hypnotic, and you'll quickly find some of the expressions creeping into your every day dialog. All in all, my very favorite childhood book, and one of the few that I still re-read a few times a year. [©2000 hyperbolium dot com]

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book that made me want to learn to read, August 6, 1999
By A Customer
When I was three or four years old I thought Go Dog Go was the finest piece of literature ever written. I wanted it read almost every single day. I loved the pictures, I loved the words, I loved the story and I loved the characters. I memorized the text and recited it along whoever was reading, and when I was four I learned to sight read all the words in it and proudly read it to my parents instead. Unlike many books for preschoolers, it has a real plot, and it's a funny and relatively sophisticated plot at that. My three younger siblings all loved it too, and I was happy to take over a share of the Go Dog Go reading duties from my parents. Every four year old deserves to have a copy of this book and someone special to read it to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite children's book, December 1, 2001
My all time favorite children's book. Big Dog. Little Dog. My son's first word was "dog". I loved this book when my teens were little and my little one (currently 6 ˝ months) will sit through most of this book (sometimes all) when I read it to her now. It is a great "first reader" as the words are common and the pictures offer help in that when one reads "One big dog going in." and "Two little dogs going out." the picture shows just that. There are red, yellow and green trees, dogs "over the water", dogs "under the house" and lots more word pictures that are fun to read and easy to learn by. The three dogs having a party on a boat at night is just about my favorite line but I still get the most fun when it is night and the dogs are supposed to be asleep and one little one is laying in bed with his eyes wide open. Simply put every child should have this book in their library and reading it to a child should start at a very young age. My highest possible recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars DOGS!!!, August 19, 2003
I love this book! The hats that the girl dog always wears are absolutely wonderful! I especially like the one she wears when she is skiing! It is taller than she is! The boy dog is rude! The dog party is wonderful! I wish I could go to a party in a big tree!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vocabulary For The Dogs, April 21, 2004
Joshua Koppel (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This was one of my favorites as a child. It became a favorite of my daughter's as well. Now my son is hooked on it.
The book starts simply. "Dog" is the only word on the page. That sets up the theme.
We quickly are taken through comparisons and colors. Black, white, red, blue, yellow, green, in, out, up, down, big, small, stop, go, over and under. Add some simple numbers and the book gains real substance.
But then we have the two plots. First is the "Do you like my hat?" story that runs to the book's conclusion. The other is dogs on the go. They run around, go to sleep, wake up, drive away fast, and finally all congregate at the top of a tree.
Great Eastman illustrations and fun vocabulary will entertain most children

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, and a great early reading book, February 19, 2000
Mike Christie (Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This is the book I picked when my daughter Jesse showed signs of wanting to learn how to really read, and it was a great choice. The vocabulary is tight--71 words (I wrote them out separately to help Jesse!)--and presented very well, with simple, exciting and fun illustrations.
All the activity involves dogs--blue dogs on red trees, big and little dogs, dogs in cars, in mazes, in boats and on rooftops. The text of the first five pages is: "Dog./Big dog./Little dog./Big dogs and little dogs./Black and white dogs."; this is perfect for a child learning to read, with the repetition building confidence very quickly.
The artwork is good and straightforwardly entertaining; perhaps not up to Dr. Seuss' standards, but then very little is. Jesse loves this book, and recommends it as strongly as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Household favorite, October 22, 2004
I LOVED this book as a child, especially the scene where the dogs are all sleeping. It was fun seeing all the different sleeping positions and laughing at them and I begged to have it read over and over again. It is no different with my little one and tonight, it went to bed with him. You know you've done a great job when a child takes the book to bed. There's no better point than that! This is such a darling book, full of surprises, dogs driving fast in sports cars to get to a party, and a girl trying to get a boy ("do you like my hat? No, I don't like that hat.") The surprise in the end with all the different color dogs in the tree having a party is a particular favorite as well. This one is a must for your library - it is just tons of fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the few books you MUST include in a child's library!, January 12, 2000
By A Customer
There is just something about this book which delights every child I know. I think it's the simple but universal concepts---Go, Stop, Like, Don't Like, etc. Along with that, it's the clever details in the illustrations. My boys are so fascinated with the one dog that stays asleep while the rest wake up, by the dog yelling to stop the Ferris wheel, and most of all by that wildest of parties in kid's lit---the dog party in the tree! My older son literally looked at that picture for an hour one night. It's such a scene of pure excitement! If for some strange reason you are only getting 10 books for your child, this would be one of the 10 to get!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was both of my children's first favorite., September 5, 1999
By A Customer
My 9 year olds favorite book when she was 1-2 was Go Dog Go! We read it to her over and over every night! Now it's my 2 year olds first favorite book too! "Read Go Go Go Dog!!" Her face lights up as I open the book and begin reading. And when my 9 year old hears me reading it, she comes and climbs into bed to listen again, too. A classic!

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch these dogs go!, December 11, 2002
A Kid's Review
Dogs, dogs and more dogs! If you love dogs, you'll love this book. There are big dogs, little dogs, green and blue dogs!It's also a great book for young kids to learn their opposites. I can remember my mom reading me this book when I was little. Then when I started to learn how to read i would practice reading it to my very own dog and as I got better I would read it to everyone who would listen. This book is just a fun book to read and I think everyone should have the chance to read it.

Go, Dog. Go!
Go, Dog. Go! by Philip D. Eastman (Library Binding - June 12, 1966)
$11.99 $10.79