5.0 out of 5 stars A truly delightful story for early toddlers
Published on October 27, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Get the unabridged version!
Published on June 20, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Get the unabridged version!, June 20, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Go, Dog. Go!: P.D. Eastman's Book of Things That Go (Board book)
I love the original version of Go, Dog. Go! This is not the same thing: my wife bought this board book thinking it would be as delightful as the original, but as soon as you open it you'll realize that the story is completely gone, the characters are gone, the excitement and wonder is gone. All that are left are some pictures and disjointed prose that fail to impress.
I first read this book about 40 years ago; it has made an indelible impression on me. I started reading GDG (the original version) to my son when he was a few months old--he loved it. I tried reading the board version (this edition) to him about the same time--he and I both hated it.
Stick with the original; don't bother with this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please buy the real "Go Dog Go", May 16, 2002
By A Customer
No need to repeat what others have said about this book. Simply put: avoid this rewritten, watered-down sham of a book and go out and buy a copy of the real "Go Dog Go" which is one of the greatest children's books of all time.

1.0 out of 5 stars More dishonesty from Random House, May 3, 2003
Look at the cover of this Bright and Early Board Book...does it say "Abridged" or "Adapted"? NO, to discover that fact, one has to look carefully at the fine print on the inside of the cover. And even then, what Random House says is "Originally published in a different form as 'Go Dog Go'" instead of a more honest "Abridged and Adapted from 'Go Dog Go'". This is deceptive marketing at its absolute worst. If this were food for the stomach rather than food for the mind, the FDA would long ago have ordered Random House to cease and desist this sort of misleading behavior or face the consequences.
I am old enough to remember the difference between a book labeled "by P.D. Eastman" and a book labeled "by P.D. Eastman (Abridged)." There was a day when publishers felt compelled to be honest about their product, which allowed us consumers to easily make an informed choice about what we wanted to buy.
I for one still want that choice from publishers and urge any and all of you who care about books to not purchase this Random House Bright and Early Board Book, at least until they are a little more honest in their practices.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT "Go, Dog. Go!", April 6, 2002
By A Customer
Eastman's "Go, Dog. Go!" is a wonderful book. BUT THIS IS NOT IT! This book is a small board book that has most of the original illustrations and a completely different text. It is not an "adaptation" of the original text; it is something completely different and far less enjoyable. It even uses words that are not in Eastman's original eighty-word set (a major issue when dealing with beginning readers).
If you love "Go, Dog. Go!", as I do, buy it! But this is not it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Where IS your hat?, August 21, 2004
S. Green (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I am a "Go, Dog. Go" purist, my favorite part of the book was where one dog asked another: "do you like my hat?" I have a problem with the board-book edition...that whole exchange that took place in many parts of the book is missing, rubbed out like it is unimportant. What happened? Does PD Eastman know about this? When I made the purchase, I thought I was buying a whole book, not some edited version that cut out 3 or 4 pages of a 12 page book. The only thing I can pass on from this is percentages: 25% is missing and I am 100% disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly delightful story for early toddlers, October 27, 1999
By A Customer
We may have to purchase a second copy of this board book for our next baby--our 15-month-old son has just about worn this first copy out. We average reading this fun book at least three times a day, not to mention all the times I catch my son sitting alone and "reading" the book to himself and laughing out loud. We really like to animate the story, making a big deal about the "dog party" at the end of the book. The sheer delight on our son's face simply mirrors our own with this fun romp.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this book, May 15, 2000
R. Smith (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a terrible adapation of the orignal Go Dog Go. When adapting it for a board book format, the editors lost most of the fun in the original language. Many of the pictures don't make sense with the new words, and you'll wonder how this ever could have been a "classic" Buy the original. It's only a few dollars more, and well worth the price and the risk of a few ripped pages.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the Board Book!!!, May 11, 2001
Amazon Customer (New England, USA) - See all my reviews
Go, Dog, Go! is one of the true classics for very young children. It is also unusually long -- 50+ pages. That clearly posed a problem for the creators of the shortened board version. Their "solution," though, is dreadful. They didn't just shorten the book, they rewrote it from scratch! This little board book has flat, toneless prose, with none of the effortless whimsy of the original.
Treat your baby to the *real* Go, Dog, Go! My 13-month old daughter happily sits through the full version, and enjoys the way it builds up to its big ending. You may end up with a couple of torn pages, but it's an honorable fate for a book to be loved to death.

1.0 out of 5 stars Board book is NOT the same as Hardcover, September 10, 1998
By A Customer
I, too, remembered "Go Dog. Go!" very fondly. Unfortunately, the Board Book is nowhere near as entertaining.The pictures are selections from the hardcover, with new words. No "Do You Like My Hat?" dialogue. I was SO disappointed! My sons (3 and 9 months) like it - but I immediately bought the "real" book when I discovered this one was lacking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Keep your hat on, February 11, 2005
What a travesty. What a big travesty. They did not condense this book--they gutted it of all its wit and humor. Buy the original "Go, Dog. Go!"

Go, Dog. Go!: P.D. Eastman's Book of Things That Go
Go, Dog. Go!: P.D. Eastman's Book of Things That Go by P. D. Eastman (Board book - July 8, 1997)
$4.99 $3.50