Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Board book|Change

on June 20, 1999
I love the original version of Go, Dog. Go! This is not the same thing: my wife bought this board book thinking it would be as delightful as the original, but as soon as you open it you'll realize that the story is completely gone, the characters are gone, the excitement and wonder is gone. All that are left are some pictures and disjointed prose that fail to impress.
I first read this book about 40 years ago; it has made an indelible impression on me. I started reading GDG (the original version) to my son when he was a few months old--he loved it. I tried reading the board version (this edition) to him about the same time--he and I both hated it.
Stick with the original; don't bother with this one.
55 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2000
I was well into my 30s before I realized that this was not a Dr. Seuss book. Given that it's issued in the same size and binding, I'd always assumed it was written by Seuss. My realization that it was written and illustrated by P.D. Eastman cleared one of my largest childhood confusions: I *loved* "Go Dog Do," and merely *liked* "The Cat in the Hat." Years later I realize that Eastman's art is funny, while Seuss's is fantastic, and I prefer the former to the latter. As another reviewer mentioned, you can stare at these dogs for a long time -- there's incredible depth to the expressions and postures of these seemingly simple illustrations. The insomniac dog who sleeps through the next morning's reveille is a favorite! The repetitive narration is similarly hypnotic, and you'll quickly find some of the expressions creeping into your every day dialog. All in all, my very favorite childhood book, and one of the few that I still re-read a few times a year. [©2000 hyperbolium dot com]
33 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2002
No need to repeat what others have said about this book. Simply put: avoid this rewritten, watered-down sham of a book and go out and buy a copy of the real "Go Dog Go" which is one of the greatest children's books of all time.
on August 6, 1999
When I was three or four years old I thought Go Dog Go was the finest piece of literature ever written. I wanted it read almost every single day. I loved the pictures, I loved the words, I loved the story and I loved the characters. I memorized the text and recited it along whoever was reading, and when I was four I learned to sight read all the words in it and proudly read it to my parents instead. Unlike many books for preschoolers, it has a real plot, and it's a funny and relatively sophisticated plot at that. My three younger siblings all loved it too, and I was happy to take over a share of the Go Dog Go reading duties from my parents. Every four year old deserves to have a copy of this book and someone special to read it to them.
on December 1, 2001
My all time favorite children's book. Big Dog. Little Dog. My son's first word was "dog". I loved this book when my teens were little and my little one (currently 6 ½ months) will sit through most of this book (sometimes all) when I read it to her now. It is a great "first reader" as the words are common and the pictures offer help in that when one reads "One big dog going in." and "Two little dogs going out." the picture shows just that. There are red, yellow and green trees, dogs "over the water", dogs "under the house" and lots more word pictures that are fun to read and easy to learn by. The three dogs having a party on a boat at night is just about my favorite line but I still get the most fun when it is night and the dogs are supposed to be asleep and one little one is laying in bed with his eyes wide open. Simply put every child should have this book in their library and reading it to a child should start at a very young age. My highest possible recommendation.
on May 3, 2003
Look at the cover of this Bright and Early Board Book...does it say "Abridged" or "Adapted"? NO, to discover that fact, one has to look carefully at the fine print on the inside of the cover. And even then, what Random House says is "Originally published in a different form as 'Go Dog Go'" instead of a more honest "Abridged and Adapted from 'Go Dog Go'". This is deceptive marketing at its absolute worst. If this were food for the stomach rather than food for the mind, the FDA would long ago have ordered Random House to cease and desist this sort of misleading behavior or face the consequences.
I am old enough to remember the difference between a book labeled "by P.D. Eastman" and a book labeled "by P.D. Eastman (Abridged)." There was a day when publishers felt compelled to be honest about their product, which allowed us consumers to easily make an informed choice about what we wanted to buy.
I for one still want that choice from publishers and urge any and all of you who care about books to not purchase this Random House Bright and Early Board Book, at least until they are a little more honest in their practices.
0Comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2002
Eastman's "Go, Dog. Go!" is a wonderful book. BUT THIS IS NOT IT! This book is a small board book that has most of the original illustrations and a completely different text. It is not an "adaptation" of the original text; it is something completely different and far less enjoyable. It even uses words that are not in Eastman's original eighty-word set (a major issue when dealing with beginning readers).
If you love "Go, Dog. Go!", as I do, buy it! But this is not it.
on August 21, 2004
I am a "Go, Dog. Go" purist, my favorite part of the book was where one dog asked another: "do you like my hat?" I have a problem with the board-book edition...that whole exchange that took place in many parts of the book is missing, rubbed out like it is unimportant. What happened? Does PD Eastman know about this? When I made the purchase, I thought I was buying a whole book, not some edited version that cut out 3 or 4 pages of a 12 page book. The only thing I can pass on from this is percentages: 25% is missing and I am 100% disappointed.
on October 27, 1999
We may have to purchase a second copy of this board book for our next baby--our 15-month-old son has just about worn this first copy out. We average reading this fun book at least three times a day, not to mention all the times I catch my son sitting alone and "reading" the book to himself and laughing out loud. We really like to animate the story, making a big deal about the "dog party" at the end of the book. The sheer delight on our son's face simply mirrors our own with this fun romp.
on April 21, 2004
This was one of my favorites as a child. It became a favorite of my daughter's as well. Now my son is hooked on it.
The book starts simply. "Dog" is the only word on the page. That sets up the theme.
We quickly are taken through comparisons and colors. Black, white, red, blue, yellow, green, in, out, up, down, big, small, stop, go, over and under. Add some simple numbers and the book gains real substance.
But then we have the two plots. First is the "Do you like my hat?" story that runs to the book's conclusion. The other is dogs on the go. They run around, go to sleep, wake up, drive away fast, and finally all congregate at the top of a tree.
Great Eastman illustrations and fun vocabulary will entertain most children