1,740 Reviews
 (1,360)

5.0 out of 5 stars This made my day!
I can't imagine anyone more qualified to do the audio version of this book than Samuel L Jackson. It's genius. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. I highly recommend this to anyone, especially someone who has struggled with a small child at bedtime.
Published on June 14, 2011 by epl

3.0 out of 5 stars Er, folks...
... just a note to outraged parents: this is not a children's book, it is a *parody* of children's book. It should not be read to children, but it is not *intended* to be read to children.

Published on October 22, 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars This made my day!, June 14, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars very funny but...., June 1, 2011
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
Do not buy this book if you are a first time new parent- you won't get it.

Do not buy this book if you have perfect kids- you won't get it.

And definately do not buy this book if you dislike swearing- you will hate it.

But for those who have kids that find every excuse not to go to bed and get driven nuts at night trying to be patient- this is hilarious!

We all love our kids and this book says what goes through our minds sometimes but would never say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely Funny!, June 7, 2011
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
Ok, I know everyone is going to be shocked about cussing in a children's book - but this isn't a children's book. This is a wildly amusing, completely relate-able book for real parents of real kids. Hasn't every parent felt this at one time or another? We don't hate our kids or want them to be injured by our words, we just really want them to GTFTS! I can't wait for the creators of this book to come out with a potty training one.
Great laughs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed until I cried!, June 8, 2011
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
I am not a person who swears, so I never thought I'd buy this book. But I not only bought one for me but also one for my son who has a 2 year old, 4 year old, and seven year old. We sat together tonight as he read it and we laughed so hard we had to constantly stop reading to get our breathe back. I told him I was sleep deprived for five years after I had him. He told me this book was "his life" and he knew his wife would love it, too! The illustrations are beautiful and contrast wonderfully with the verses.

3.0 out of 5 stars Er, folks..., October 22, 2011
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)

No doubt some book sellers, dealing with many books every day and misled by the cover (which covers up the f-word), put this book in the children's section. But I've seen book stores with Flaubert's "Sentimental Education" in education book, or Pirsing's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" in the "automotive maintenance" section. That is not the author's fault.

The book itself is quite amusing, although, like most children's books, which it copies, quite short. As for the price, quite apart from supply and demand, like with "real" children's books, you are not, really, paying for the text -- it is too short for that (as most children's books are) -- but for the artwork and the production value, which are both very good.

Whether it is worth the price is a personal issue. Some people will be greatly amused and would enjoy it as a conversation piece. Some people will think it's very overpriced. But I am just noting that much of the criticism of this book in the reviews (that is corrupts children, that it is overpriced because it is short, etc.) is just not to the point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for parents with a sense of Humor!, June 6, 2011
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
I got this book pre-ordered as a mothers day gift, I finally got it. I laughed so hard!

It is a great book if you have a sense of humor!

Do NOT read to kids of course, it's adult humor!

Do NOT get this if you do not like swearing

I laughed the whole way through, my friends all enjoyed it! You will get this book if you have problems at night time with your children. Great book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, June 15, 2011
A reader (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
I NEVER write reviews, but this book is too brilliant to let pass. It is, for me, pitch-perfect, and the illustrations make it even funnier -- we have (now given away) an endless supply of the lovely books on which this is clearly based, the 'sheep are asleep beyond the hills' books. They seem so charming with your first baby . . .

As other reviewers have said, clearly pass on this book if you object to profanity -- that seems too obvious to mention, and I'm unclear on why anyone who objects to profanity, or thinks it too low-brow, would buy a book called "Go the @^#*(@^# to Sleep." Caveat emptor, no? Also pass on it if you are yourself not very funny, or your children are unusually docile. Finally, be sure to hide it from your kids -- I live in some terror that my kids will find this on the high shelf in my home office. With those caveats in mind, buy it now. I second the earlier reviewer who said it made him more patient in the bedtime ritual -- I just climbed down from the top bunk, at 37 wks pregnant, after consoling my 5 yr old about the 'sad part' of the book she just read (the dog goes back to its original owners), and the 2 yr old because the 5 yr old's sobbing was keeping her up, and thinking "just go the eff to sleep." I felt kind of zen about the whole thing, as opposed to cranky and annoyed.

Do not buy this for your friends having their first child; they won't appreciate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Sweet, June 9, 2011
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
There are a lot of cheap parodies of Margaret Wise Brown's classic Goodnight Moon, with varying degrees of cleverness (unfortunately, usually not very good). This could have been just another, and certainly would have gotten a lot of buzz based on the title alone.

I couldn't help taking a look, figuring at the worst, it'd be something like Baby, Mix Me a Drink (Baby Be of Use) from McSweeney's. But, it's actually a very sweet look at the troubles and frustrations of being a new parent. Having a child turns your life upside down, no matter how prepared you think you are for it, and, yeah, it's hard. Sure, this is a joke book, and the humor is certainly in the inappropriate profanity, but underneath, there's the touching honesty of a loving parent who can admit that it doesn't all just come easily.

And, unlike those cheap parodies, the words and rhythms actually scan pretty well. Huh; look at that. I suppose with an endorsement from David Byrne on the back cover, that's the least one could hope for.

Anyway, this highly recommended as a gift for anyone with a first child aged three months to -- whenever kids start going to sleep by themselves. (It's gotta happen eventually, right?) In any case, not only will the new parents laugh, they'll be able to relate.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's okay to laugh! Honest!, June 24, 2011
Butch Leitz (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
Yeah, it's disrespectful and irreverant. The whole pious review stuff about "my kids demand more respect than... yadda yadda yadda" yeah, yeah, yeah, I love my kids, too, but come on. I totally got this. I laughed so hard i cried! This isn't your momma's nursery book, make no mistake about that.

Short, concise, like a symphony that starts off with a simple refrain that builds on itself page by page, it's a "Ravel's Bolero" in writing. Yes it repeats the theme with little tweaks and embellishments page by page (the theme being, basically, the title of the book). It perfectly delivers the loving but warped mind-set we - as parents - get into on those oh-so-late nights when the little munchkin(s) just don't seem to be drifting off.

It's ok to laugh a little (or alot)! Honest!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a conversation piece!, December 17, 2011
bbdadeo (Vineland, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
I have had a lot of fun with this little book since I received it. It makes a great ice-breaker at gatherings. Of course, make sure the kiddies aren't around. Even my 81 year old mom had to chuckle.

Go the F**k to Sleep