5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know how I lived without it
Published on April 15, 2010 by M. M.

1.0 out of 5 stars dont recommend it
Published on June 13, 2011 by genevieve

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know how I lived without it, April 15, 2010
This review is from: Go Girl Female Urination Device, Lavender (Health and Beauty)
The Go Girl is fantastic for active women and other people with uteri who enjoy the outdoors, sports, music festivals, camping, hiking, biking, traveling, etc. Sketchy bathrooms -- or nonexistent ones! -- are no match for this handy device. Honestly, before I ordered it, I wasn't quite sure how it would even work: would it properly form a seal with no leaks? What if it was too hard or too soft? What if it didn't "fit" me or just plain didn't work? How the heck would I get it back in that tiny case? But I thought for the price, it was worth trying.

How it works: You hold the Go Girl up to your body and relax your muscles, and the pee comes out the little "exit" tube at the end. It's made of a soft, flexible, medical-grade silicone, so it molds to your unique shape and forms a leak-proof seal. When you're done, you either 1) rinse/wash/dry the device and put it back in the case, or 2) put the unwashed device into a plastic bag to wash later. The Go Girl I bought is a pinkish-lavender, but you can also get it in khaki. (Although I'm not a "pink" kind of person, the khaki one was little too phallic-looking for my tastes -- but it could be a great option for others who, for various reasons, want something that blends in a bit better. Suggestion to the company: please make the Go Girl in more colors!)

The Go Girl comes in a small, resealable plastic tube, rolled up with a plastic bag and a small paper napkin. The bag and napkin are for "emergency" situations when you can't rinse/wash the Go Girl. You're supposed to toss the plastic bag and the napkin after use and replace them with your own baggie and toilet paper in preparation for your next "emergency." The instructions that come with the Go Girl advise you to practice using it in the shower a few times so you can get the hang of it. Holding and positioning the device was a little awkward at first for me (hey, I've never used anything like this before!), but after a few times, it felt natural.

The only thing the instructions lack is a detailed description of how to fold the Go Girl small enough to get it back in the plastic case. They advise you to go to their website to see a video, which I had to watch four times (!) before I could figure out how they were actually folding it. Here's how you do it:

1. Hold the Go Girl so the "narrow" side with the exit tube is facing you.
2. This seems counter-intuitive, but stay with me: fold the Go Girl flat from front to back so that the two narrow rounded ends meet at the top. It should now be in a diamond shape with the exit tube pointing down and slightly towards you.
3. Fold the exit tube upwards. Now the Go Girl should look like a rounded triangle.
4. Roll the Go Girl up from left to right like a tiny sleeping bag and stick it back in the plastic carrying case. Voilà!

I carry mine in my purse in case I come across any sketchy bathrooms while I'm out and about. There have been several times where I was so thankful I had it with me. I also find that it's actually faster and more convenient to stay standing, adjust your clothes, and use the Go Girl -- instead of sitting down and doing all that that entails.

I would absolutely recommend this product without hesitation. I actually bought several to give to my sister, mom, and girlfriends, and they love them. Every person who otherwise has to sit or squat to use the bathroom should have one of these!

** Update, June 20, 2011: I still keep my Go Girl in my purse, and I use it all the time. It has never leaked, not even once. I've used it at two Bonnaroos, and, honest to maude, I don't know if I would have survived without it. I've also used it on several train trips, cross-country/international flights, and a month-long backpacking trip through Europe. It's a life-saver.

** Update, October 22, 2012: I keep using my Go Girl, and it keeps being awesome. The girlfriend I go to Bonnaroo with also has a Go Girl (guess who got it for her? LOL), and this past August we ventured to San Francisco for Outside Lands, a three-day music festival in Golden Gate Park. They had the standard porta-john setup, and we were once again thankful to have our Go Girls so that we could stay standing up and use the built-in urinals, thereby completely avoiding the gross toilet seats. Also, over Labor Day, I used my Go Girl while hiking in the Big South Fork -- and I would not have felt as comfortable or safe (from bugs) without it. And finally, I got into road and mountain biking several months ago, and just last week I ordered a second Go Girl to keep in my bike kit permanently -- it's so small that it fits perfectly inside my seat bag along with my spare tube and patch kit. This way, I'm never without my Go Girl on the trail or greenway. I actually can't believe it's taken me this long to get a second one! LOVE IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked Pissah!, September 6, 2013
I peed everywhere. That bush? Yep. Peed on it! That tree? Uh huh. Peed on it. Those tiny woodland creatures? Screw you, b*tches! Peed on them. I peed in the sun. I peed in the rain. I peed just for fun. I peed down a drain. I peed in the light. I peed in the dark. I peed left and right. I peed in the park.

You just hold it in place, pull your pants down just enough for it to stick out and pee. No taking your pants all the way off. No squatting. No accidentally peeing down the side of your leg. When you're done you just shake it out, rinse it if you can, and stick it back into the container. Easy PEEsy.

The directions say to try this at home first in your toilet. I did not do that and it was fine....HOWEVER.... My friend, on the other hand, who also got a GoGirl for our long weekend adventure, tried it for the first time after several bottles of wine. She didn't pee on anything. Except herself. So maybe follow the directions unless you're as awesome as I am, especially if you've gone through, like, a bottle and a half of red AND white wine in like 45 minutes. I'm just sayin'.

Also, mine is lavender and hers is khaki, I don't think that made a difference in pee skill, but I feel like I was more fashionable when doing it. They should make more colors so a girl can coordinate her PEEnis with her outfit.

Either way, I can't wait until winter so I can try to write my name in the snow.

5.0 out of 5 stars A travel must., May 24, 2010
When you don't know where the next bathroom will be located or what the state of it may be, this handy devise saves you from pure and utter disgust. I've filled my shoes and wet my pant cuffs all across Europe, but not any more. I'm so thrilled to have this product before my trip to Asia. I tested it out at home, find it easy to use and easy to clean. I also purchased a set of Kushies "On The Go" Wet Bag 2-Pack, Girl Print in which to store this. The small bag fits the Go Girl tube, a little toilet tissue and a sanitizing wipe too.

I'm remembering a certain west Texas gas station restroom in which this would have been super handy on a road trip as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what a gal needs, December 10, 2009
I purchased this for those moments when I envy my son and my husband their "outdoor plumbing". We have an RV and a Sailboat, and we camp and travel often to places where the standards of cleanliness are not quite up to mine. This gadget is PERFECT for those times. Don't bother buying a special container for disposal, any empty, wide-mouth bottle with a screw cap will do the job. This product is easy to use (practice at home so you know the right angles and details) and if I have one criticism, it is the size of the container it ships and then stores in. The silicone rubber is thin so the item is flexible, it rolls up very small and stuffs into a plastic tube. That might be great for transporting it, but once I took it out, I just could not get it back into that tube. No problem: dedicate a rubber lined cosmetic bag, tuck in a small package of wipes-to-go, and you're all set. You'll be thanking yourself the first time you need it AND you actually have it with you!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars dont recommend it, June 13, 2011
when i read that it was made of silicone i expected the sturdiness that silicone products tend to host. like the divacup. i expected it to be hard enough to press against my pelvic floor and pee without leakage because i could press hard enough to contain urination pressure... unfortunately, and for some reason, this urination device was made of floppy thin rubber-like stuff. it will not contain pee at a normal release rate. the bulb fills up and nomatter how hard i think i'm pushing the part against my body, it cracks and overflows and i make a mess. this is a fault of sizing. this thing is HUGE. it covers bush to anus and outer labia lips! so not only is it difficult to make a seal, but it gets EVERYTHING wet, like peeing in a diaper and then removing it and cleaning yourself off. functionally this urination device only needs to cover the area around the urethra. maybe, they dont give credit to the women who will be purchasing this device, but i know exactly where my urethra is. and i expected a smaller stronger silicone thing that could contain the pressure of urination instead of flopping around like pizza dough. the exit for this device is blocked mostly so that only a smaller amount of urine can escape at one time. that may be causing some of the pressure problems, i may try to cut the blocked end off so it drains properly.

from the picture i thought this thing was 3 inches long, so i thought this would be a great device to own. i was wrong. i will purchase another version of this device if they make the silicone at least a centimeter thick to withstand pressure so that i may press the cup part against my body without fear of crumpling or overflow. they also need to make it 2 inches wide at the cup part TOPS, so that no mess gets into the other parts.

To pee standing up using your fingers you need to align your urethra to a straight line and clear the way to form no resistance from the urethra. to do this take your dominant hand and make an upside down V, spread your inner labia with the V so the skin is flat around your urethra (use a mirror to locate your urethra if you're not sure). next you need to pull upwards towards your belly button. so you are spreading and pulling, this aligns the skin so the urethra has a straight clear shot. then you push it out strong, then relax and pee normally, still holding the inner labia outwards, and pulling the whole vulva upwards towards your belly button. when you feel like you are almost done peeing, push it out fast and stop a second early so the stream is still strong enough not to dribble. if you do this correctly, the urine will not touch your labia or fingers. the only downside to this is that you have to wash your hands afterwards, but i guess you should be doing that anyways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for active girls, November 1, 2009
I got this a few weeks ago. i play paintball in the woods every week with a bunch of guys and it is such a pain to find a hill or tree that covers everythung when you have to drop your draws and go. thats why i got this also going to paintball events the porta pottys get nasty and you have to try to hover over the seat with out peeing on your own pants. i am a short woman so let me tell you it is not easy.

with the go girl now all i need is a tree. i used it a bunch in my own bathroom to get the hang of it. hardest part is learning to go keeping you pants up like a dude. i had no problems with leeking on my cloths or anything.
it is great! and even if you pants fall you are still standing, wont pee on your pants cus you can aim and the tree still covers you...
its soft and can be stuffed iin its bag in a pochet without anone knowing... so cool.
My hubby thinks its funny... I love it and i just wash it out with water and i am ready to go again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Tips for Use, August 16, 2010
This product worked pretty much as expected. I was able to use the product on our two day camping trip with moderate success. It was particularly useful to avoid late nights trapsing through the woods in the dark, bitter cold on my own.

Every review said to "practice, practice, practice," as this made use much easier. I tried it once at home, was successful, and assumed it would be fine to take it camping - where I was much less successful. Here are some tips I picked up while using it in the great outdoors:

1. Always make sure you have carefully placed it before urinating. Specifically, be careful not to place this too far forward or you will miss the goal, and hit your pants.

2. When trying to pee "man style" without removing your pants entirely, be careful there is a big enough gap between the Go Girl and your trousers, or they will get wet all down the front - not very pretty.

3. If you are going to take the advice of others and pee into a water bottle or other container with it, make sure you have a 24 oz. minimum size bottle so you have enough space (it's hard to switch bottles mid-pee). AND, be careful that the Go Girl doesn't create a suction with the bottle - otherwise the pee will get stuck in the Go Girl and will not go through to the bottle, resulting in overflow. I recommend a wide-mouth, empty Gatorade container, for instance.

4. Always take extra underwear and pants when you are using this for the first time or two - just in case. Or, at least take laundry detergent and be prepared to clean up any messes.

I hope this helps others avoid some of the problems I had. Truly, this is a great product and it made camping so much more delightful. In fact, my husband has now suggested a backpacking trip for the two of us, and with the Go Girl I may be willing to try it after all! I just need to get a bit better at using it. Truly, with this one, practice does indeed make perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for the camper, September 30, 2010
I saw this on a tv commercial and laughed. I thought it would make a cute gag gift for my Mom. She is always complaining about the bathroom facilities (or lack there of) when camping. I bought three. I knew that curiosity would get the better of me and I would want to try it.

When I first opened it I thought "You have got to be kidding me". I am not a small person and I figured there was no way it would work for me. I tried it fully expecting to clean up a mess after. Imagine my surprise when it worked. There is a slight learning curve.

I told my friend about GoGirl and she bought the other two off of me that day. She plans to use them when she goes to the races and amusement parks so she doesn't have to sit on the seat. I am going to have to place another order for my stocking stuffers now!

Amazon is half the price of what you can buy them for on GoGirl's website. Great deal! They are compact and great to have in case of emergency. I would suggest watching the video on GoGirl's site to show you how to fold it back up and the proper way to use it. It doesn't come with instructions.

Update:
I wanted to add another use that I hadn't thought of until this month. I had knee surgery two weeks ago. I had a leg immoblilzer on and I had no idea how hard it would be to get on and off the toilet. "Hovering" on public toilets would have been impossible. The GoGirl made life much easier for me after surgery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know how I lived without it, April 15, 2010

1. Hold the Go Girl so the "narrow" side with the exit tube is facing you.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Wrong Kind of Sprinkler System, September 2, 2014
I bought this from a local camping store a couple years ago, same color and everything. I decided to take their advice and practice in the shower. A person can only waste so much time peeing on herself in one day. It all boils down to four basic flaws.

ONE. The hole in the spout simply isn't big enough. Women don't pee with a cute, dainty stream. We let 'er rip like any other large hairy mammal on this planet. The flow backed right up, and WHOOSH, there was urine all over the place.

TWO. It's floppy. So, even if you decide to customize the thing and trim a bit off the spout to open up a wider hole, it still crumples at the base where you're trying to make a seal and leaks all over you.

THREE. I have already mentioned that women are mammals. Women have HAIR DOWN THERE! Oh, yes they do! You cannot make a seal with silicone against hair. Nope. Doesn't happen. Leaky pee day in the shower. My husband at the time thought it was HILARIOUS. Yeah, high-five! No? I've got pee all over my hands? Awwwwwwwww.

FOUR. There's pee in it. When you go to a public restroom, you expect a certain level of hygiene from your fellows. Rule number one is to NOT wash out a pee funnel in the sink! Yuck! Of course, you can take their advice, roll it up, and put it in a baggie. Yeah, THAT'S what women want rattling around in their purses and pockets: a urine-soaked funnel. Even if the bag holds, what are you supposed to do, next time? Ya ever smelled stale urine? I HAVE. I used to work at an elderly assisted-living facility. Yikes.

Of course, you can't take a pee funnel back to the store. Nahhhh, I didn't use it. How do I know it doesn't work. UHMMMMM..... *runs away*

Go Girl Female Urination Device, Lavender