5.0 out of 5 stars My hands have never been warmer doing cold weather chores
I've avoided getting mittens for years. I prefer the dexterity of gloves. Unfortunately, my hands are pretty cold sensitive and even good gloves leave my fingers feeling cold in short order. With gloves, I often find myself sliding my fingers out of the fingers of the glove and curling them in my palm to warm them up when I'm not actually holding something...
Published on December 7, 2012 by Joseph M

3.0 out of 5 stars Warm Cowhide Gloves
Published on January 8, 2010 by BoxerMom

3.0 out of 5 stars Warm Cowhide Gloves, January 8, 2010
This review is from: Caiman Leather Mittens (Apparel)
The gloves are nice and warm, especially for someone who spends lots of time outside in cold New England during the winter. However, after being worn only 5 times max since gloves were given to my husband for Christmas, one seam near the thumb has unraveled and I just spent an hour of my time trying to sew the seam. It's tough getting a needle and thread thru the cowhide.....I'll have to reinforce it later. The company should have used heavier thread and reinforced the seams along the way. He does love the gloves and they keep his hands warm....that's why I spent the time!

5.0 out of 5 stars My hands have never been warmer doing cold weather chores, December 7, 2012
Joseph M (Skaneateles, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Caiman Leather Mittens (Apparel)

After trying all manner of gloves without finding any that kept my hands warm, I decided to try some convertible polar fleece mittens, the kind that the mitten end folds back to let you use your fingers in what amounts to a fingerless glove.

As a mitten, these did a great job of keeping my hands warm. The difference compared to gloves was dramatic.

However I was wearing those mittens to do chores and it didn't take long for the polar fleece to show wear. If I kept using them like that it was pretty clear that they wouldn't last for long. My hands were so much warmer in the mittens I decided to look for leather mittens, preferably pigskin because it does a better job of staying soft after getting wet. After looking around I bought these and I'm glad I did.

The leather is good quality and the stitching looks sound. I was concerned about the stitching because I read another review that mentioned the stitching gave out pretty quickly. Time will tell, but it looks sound and I've been using them steadily for a few weeks and so far so good. Perhaps there's a difference in the stitching from lot to lot.

I waterproofed the mittens with Sno-Seal when I got them and they performed great in a cold drizzle. My hands stayed perfectly warm and once I brushed the dried mud off the next day the mittens were as supple as ever. I don't know if the Sno-Seal is necessary or not; it's an old school kind of thing I like to use on my leather goods that might get wet.

I've been wearing these mittens steadily for a few weeks to things that puts a fair amount of stress on them (swinging a pick, digging, stacking firewood, etc.). So far they're holding up fine.

The coldest I've worn them has been 25 F, so not super-cold. However I do know my hands would have been very cold and uncomfortable in gloves under the same conditions.

If you have big hands, the size might run a little small. I usually wear large gloves. I got these in XL to allow for a glove liner. Without the liner, they're a little big but not too much. Someone who really needs XL might find them snug.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, December 31, 2013
This review is from: Caiman Leather Mittens (Apparel)
These are great, Warm and leather is soft. I would recommend to anyone who works outside in the cold weather or snowmobiles and enjoys the winter outdoors.

2.0 out of 5 stars Seam opened up right away, November 30, 2013
This review is from: Caiman Leather Mittens (Apparel)
Just like a previous reviewer, I found that the seam along the index finger near the thumb began to separate after wearing them only four times. Otherwise they seem to be pretty sturdy and they're plenty warm. But I'll have to fix this seam if I want to keep wearing them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, March 6, 2014
This review is from: Caiman Leather Mittens (Apparel)
They are what they said they where warm and the leather held up so far i use pipe wrenchs all day might need a stich soon but still good buy

4.0 out of 5 stars leather mittens, January 6, 2015
This review is from: Caiman Leather Mittens (Apparel)
This is the first time I have tried this particular mitten. The leather does seem abit thin, but time and use will tell how they hold up. They are warmer than I thought, when I first tried them on. I really like the fact that they are mittens, and do not have fingers inside. There is enough room to put a hand warmer in each mitten, but I have not had the need to yet. I was outside for a hour long snowshoe walk at 7 above, my finers were warm.

4.0 out of 5 stars comfy, March 28, 2014
This review is from: Caiman Leather Mittens (Apparel)
I really like these. They are warm and comfortable. They are not as bulky as I expected which is a good thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice gloves, March 3, 2014
This review is from: Caiman Leather Mittens (Apparel)
my husband likes them and they keep his hands nice and warm. very good for being outside and plowing snow

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm Mitts!, November 23, 2013
This review is from: Caiman Leather Mittens (Apparel)
We live the New Yorks' Adirondacks where the temps can reach -20! Keeping ones hands warm is a must to survive in this part of the country.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, August 6, 2013
This review is from: Caiman Leather Mittens (Apparel)
Loved the product even though it was just a bit heavier than i had anticipated, but they worked out well despite this. I loved the idea that the buying was so easy and the shopping was super fast. thanks!!

Caiman Leather Mittens