Go

Published on May 7, 2002 by philster

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough, I guess, May 7, 2002
This review is from: Go (Audio CD)
Maybe the fact that I got this album for free contributes to my apathy towards it. I've always like h2o, and it was actually kind of nice to hear them traveling in a pop direction without losing their heart and energy, but something about this album feels entirely pointless. The world just doesn't need another major label pop punk band. I mean, these guys are doing it better than Sum 41 and their ilk, but it all goes back to middle school... your success is determined by who you associate with as much as who you are. Randomly jumping into an overcrowded genre and losing the originality of your sound is no formula for success, even if you can still write good songs. And these are indeed good songs... catchy choruses, inspirational lyrics, lots of energy. If Face to Face hadn't already perfected pop punk under corporate influence, this would be a lot more interesting to me. Not bad, but there's no reason for this to have been made in terms of the universal music community.

5.0 out of 5 stars NYHC on a Major Label? H2O does it without selling out, May 16, 2001
This review is from: Go (Audio CD)
I'll start off first by noting that I have followed H2O for their entire career (dating back to 1995) so I know what I'm talking about when I say this is a phenomenal album. This album is a little more polished than the last 3 full-lengths but not so polished that it makes them sound plastic, instead it makes for a more melodic release. This blows away any of the commercial punk stuff out there, even though I wouldn't consider H2O to be a punk band, instead they combine a nice mix of punk, hardcore, and melody to their songs. H2O delivers on this album. If you like bands like 7 Seconds, Dag Nasty, Gorilla Biscuits or Lifetime, you will not be disappointed. My only complaint is the lack of any guest appearances from the NYHC scene like the last few releases. so GO out and buy GO!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars what HAPPENED?, February 7, 2002
This review is from: Go (Audio CD)
This was a band that preached the message "Don't forget your roots" sad thing they stopped buying into it , and have sold themselves out. H20 not sellouts?. Well H20 spread the gospel of anti major corporate labels , they created a great mixture of oldschool punk and the style of NYC Hardcore speed . Now look at them; MCA record signers. The result a plastic pop album abandoning their sound that made them popular. Don't convince me that MCA didn't destroy this band's creativity , because all you have to do is hear it for yourself.

1.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, January 11, 2003
handofdoom "handofdoom" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go (Audio CD)
I remember in 1997 or so when these guys were hardcore. What happened?
I picked this cd up in a used cd bin, and no wonder someone sold this cd - its awful!
There is nothing hardcore about these guys anymore, its pop punk and well ... not even very good pop punk. Bummer because these guys used to be really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not fear mainstream hardcore, June 9, 2001
This review is from: Go (Audio CD)
After listening to the song "Memory Lane," I'm utterly breath-taken with how much this band has developed since the first album. The elements of punk and hardcore are still there, but this a much more mature album that can't be easily categorized. It may not be as energetic as the first three efforts, but it's a great step in a new and different direction. I know that many of the elitist hardcore kids will be completely turned off by how "mellow" and mainstream GO is, but H2O isn't even close to selling out on this one. This is a truly great album, and I'm glad the band is finally getting the recognition they've deserved all these years. Keep in mind that most of my record collection consists of bands like Converge, Cave-In, Botch, Dillinger Escape Plan, etc. But H2O's positive music and messages just really latched onto me and have often helped me get out of some bad times in my life. The fact that they will be able to do this for even more people is a beautiful thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars super cool c.d., June 6, 2003
kelly jane (New york, baby) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go (Audio CD)
i had first heard of the band h2o from friens who had seen them play at a local club and i just had to hear them for myself, so i bought GO. i totally loved this c.d. even the first time i heard it in my stereo because almost every song has such an awesome rock beat that you have to love this band. it's not too harsh and the songs' lyrics are real and not some lame emo punk band. if you like the band good charlotte and sum 41, then you will most likely apprexciate this c.d. i didnt give it 5 stars simpply b/c there isnt a whole lot of variety dealing with song styles, but its nevertheless an awesome pick!!!and the "hidden" track at the end is the best remake of the madonna song like a prayer. its so cool. if you are considering buying this recrd i suggest you hear it first before purchasing it on your own b/c u either love it or u hae it.

4.0 out of 5 stars H2O GO! GO GET IT!, October 12, 2001
Drew Hegner (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go (Audio CD)
The fourth album by H2O is equally as strong as all the others. It definitely sounds much cleaner than any of the others, but what do you expect when they sign to a major label. The only black mark on this album is song #7 "I want, I want" I don't know what it is, but this song sounds over produced to me and I skip over it whenever it comes on...good thing that song #8 "Songs Remain" picks up where #6 "Ripe or Rotting" leaves off. The Madonna cover at the end is exceptional...it's even better live. H2O does a great job of walking a fine line with this album. They have signed on with a major level but they haven't sold out and they "don't forget their roots". I would recommend GO or any H20 album to anyone that is looking for some great Hardcore/Punk with a positive vibe. H2O is where it's at!!

2.0 out of 5 stars h2o no!, May 16, 2001
eric "ericrxb" (northern new jersery) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go (Audio CD)
I've been a pretty big fan of H2O for a while and i've seen them live a bunch of times. I was dreading this release because it was them on a big label, the same label that happens to be home to Blink 182 and fenix tx. The cd didn't really click with me when I listened to it, like all of their other cds did. I think most of the tracks lack the energy that most H2O songs have, which bothers me because H2O is one of the most energetic live bands. Almost all of the songs on it seem slower and more melodic, with the exception of "Songs Remain". They do cover "like a prayer" which I believe is really great cover. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what their next release is like.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album but not h2o's best, April 28, 2003
Giles (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go (Audio CD)
I think this albums is really cool! There is a good mixture of hardcore and melody in this album. "Role Model" shows how h2o have moved a step closer to the pop/punk but still keep some of their trade mark hardcore sound. If your new to this band, this is not the album to judge the band on, check out F.T.T.W. Stand out tracks on GO is "Role Model", "Memory Lane", "Forest King" and the cover song "Like A Prayer". h2o rocks!

4.0 out of 5 stars over produced, July 11, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Go (Audio CD)
i'm pretty sure that all of the songs on this cd sound awesome live. the vocals on the first song sound like a nasal unwritten law. Over all the cd sounds to clean, maybe i'm a dork, but punk rock shouldn't have the same sound quality as say, N'sync. however, if the rest of the cd was absolutly horrible the last two songs would make it worth the money. Like a prayer is the best cover song ever.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›