5.0 out of 5 stars A Class Act
Published on January 25, 2007 by Linda A. Fazio

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Typical Sports Bio
I enjoyed the book, but do not expect great writing or insights. This is one of those obligatory autobios that sports figures feel they have to write for their fans. I'd have liked to read more about Rice's growing up in MS. His coments on various fellow sprts stars was fun to reqd. ( He doesn't believe Barry Bonds either ). Quick read. Solid three stars.
Published on June 30, 2007 by A Southern Reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Class Act, January 25, 2007
I have always loved to watch Jerry Rice on the football field. What a class act in all aspects of his life. For football fans, it was interesting to learn some about the inside realities of how teams and coaches operate. I think very few people in sports possess the work ethic and personal responsibility to achieve perfection as Jerry Rice does. He will always be a success as a man, husband, father, athlete or anthing he chooses because of the determination and drive he possesses as reflected in his book. His athleticism and, at the same time, grace is unsurpassed. The man can dance too! A good read that will remind folks that hard work and humility is a sterling quality in all walks of life and that even humble beginnings can be an asset in the scope of life. Love the man! (And I'm a lady who loves football!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, January 17, 2007
T. Smith (Sterling, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I burned through this book the day it was released. Although the book is short it is not short on great stories and inspirational tales. Any fan of the 49ers, Jerry or the NFL should pick this book up!

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read even for a non-football fan, February 15, 2007
Julie Fiedler (San Ramon, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Jerry Rice's story is a quick read and quite entertaining. His candid comments about other players are heartfelt and truly illustrate Jerry's serious take on the game of football. He holds both himself and others to a high standard, and that is refreshing in this world where so many athletes appear to want the glory without the work. I highly recommend Go Long! Even my thirteen year old who hates to read loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, February 1, 2007
Great book about "THE GREATEST PLAYER" THE NFL HAS EVER SEEN! Thanks Jerry for sharing your life's journey with your fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love Jerry Rice and I love this book too, February 3, 2012
stingray (Covina, Ca. United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Go Long!: My Journey Beyond the Game and the Fame (Paperback)
My takeaway for" Go Long" is that I learned a little what motivated Jerry Rice. The fear of failure, the insecurity and the need to please his father and later his coach Welsh. Some superstars rely only on their talents, Lawrence Taylor and others but Jerry Rice have it in their DNA to overachieve, the work ethics is amazing. He worked out like no one, he knew he might not be the most talented(which I think he was, the records speaks for themselves) but no one will out practice him, or work harder then, Jerry Rice. That was his mindset for his own career. And yet, he regrets not spending more time with his family. He never took a vacation, he was always working out and practicing. I learned a few other things, his trauma of almost losing his wife and behind the scenes of Dancing with the Stars.

Another takeaway is that he was not afraid to take risk, he took risk going to a small college, leaving the San Francisco and doing a reality show of professional vs. regular Joes. I admire that in him. Actually I admire his awesome work ethic and his willingness to go beyond his comfort zone
What I didn't admire is that like so many superstars, he waited too long to retire. Supposedly, his agent fax Jerry interest in playing football to all the teams. He was and is too classy for that. I admire those that retire winning, a la Tony La Russa. And they were some instances of his ill feelings for the 49ers when they let him go and to the winners of the Dancing with the Stars because some of the contestants had prior dancing experiences- again Jerry is a classy guy, I wish he would have taken the high road in both instances. There were a few more but nobody is perfect.

I love Jerry Rice and I do recommend the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Long is a winner, all about life!, March 30, 2007
K. Frazer (Clifton Park, NY) - See all my reviews
Excellent book, easy read. Very frank and honest dialogue produces a very refreshing look at the character and

makeup of NFL great Jerry Rice. He possesses "old school" values, rare for todays athletes and his humble

approach and its origins are clearly defined in his upbringing. Would highly recommend it for parents and players

of any sport as well as non-players as it explores more than the world of athletics and promotes a great

work ethic.

K.F.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Typical Sports Bio, June 30, 2007
A Southern Reader (New Orleans, LA United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars footballs greatest player, October 20, 2009
Jerry Rice has routinely been called the all time greatest reciever for the last 20 years. This title does not do him justice. In football, the goal of the offense is to move the ball and score points...preferably touchdowns. The goal of the defense is to prevent this from happening. Jerry Rice could not be stopped by the Giants, the Bears, the Cowboys, the Steelers, the Broncos nor any one else at any time in his career. He not only is the all time leader in catches, yards and touchdowns, no one else is even close. This man is quite simply the greatest football player of all time.
Jerry touches on his life and career from high school, college and the NFL. He speaks of his legendary work ethic, the fact, that in his opinion Joe Montana was superior to Steve Young, and, as a devoted family man and husband, the ordeal he went through when his wife faced life-threatening complications after giving birth.
This a an interestng,quick read about a classy individual as well as a superb player and would reccomend it to any football or sports fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good not great, September 8, 2010
Clint Kuipers (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
There's nothing really wrong with this book, but there's not a ton that's really right with it either. First of all it's short. Yeah, it clocks in at about 150 pages, but it reads like it's about half of that. Rice doesn't seem to want to get really deep into his personal life or the lives of his teammates.

His main focus is on his football career. This makes sense since it was a huge part of his life. He didn't even take a vacation in the first 10 years of his NFL career. He went straight back to training. So I can understand that his focus is on his work. But this leaves you with a picture of a shell of a man. I respect him for the hard work that he put in, and he makes it pretty clear that he's ready to move on to new challenges, so I hope that he rounds himself out into a whole person.

One thing really stuck out to me: He doesn't like criticism. He read all of the articles written about him and held grudges toward those who were critical. Also, any time there was failure in his career or other aspects of his life, he seems to find a scapegoat (not him) to point to where things went wrong.

I respect Jerry Rice, but this book is only OK. I'd recommend it for your junior high or high school student who is struggling to latch on to reading material. It's a quick, easy read about a popular persona.

2.0 out of 5 stars Loved Jerry Rice before, but less now..., April 1, 2014
M. Cheng "Black Tulip" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
To sum it up, I like Jerry Rice less now after learning more about him through his biography. I appreciated learning about his humble beginning, but throughout the entire book he remained mostly egotistic and still held on to many grudges, such as the media attention was more on Joe Montana than on him for the Superbowl XXIII in which he was named the MVP. He attributed that to race, which being Asian I can understand why he wouldn't like it and it's something that he should have voiced, but he was still upset about it to the date the biography was written, among several other things that he said he was still upset about to the date the book was written. Secondly, most of the book was talking about how hard he worked which all the 49er and NFL fans already know or most of them already do. As a fan and a reader, I'd like to know how he made the transition, going from a tiny Mississippi town to a world-class cosmopolitan city of San Francisco, or how he adjusted to the pace of the NFL, or how he handled conflicts - as a fan I already know lots about him and of him as a football player, I wanted to learn more of Jerry Rice as a human being. There was also this constant conflict where Jerry iterated a number of times that his value wasn't about money but later in the book he clearly conveyed that he regretted not having capitalized on his fame during his peak for more commercial deals. If he truly meant not about money, he would have messaged it to something like, ...probably could have signed more commercial deals but we're already very blessed financially and I'm ok with it... something to that extent.

I may not have felt that way if I read the book at the time it was first published before he got divorced, but in the chapter where Jerry talked about Jackie's near-death experience giving birth to their 3rd child, it feels like he was overcompensating it trying to conceal his infidelities when he kept saying '... the love of my life...', '...my beloved...', and within a couple years of publishing the book Jackie filed for divorce and his infidelities came into light.

The biggest turnoff for me was in epilogue where he devoted a good chunk of time criticizing other players, calling Alex Smith an overrated QB, among other players that he called out, what for? To make himself look better? He also criticized John Taylor, how Taylor never worked that hard and only did enough to be good enough, and how he didn't understand why Taylor wouldn't work harder to be great like himself. "Imagine how great he'd be if he had worked harder?" Jerry asked in the book. Maybe not everyone wants to reach the sky, and John's goal was to be good enough to win a Superbowl and be ok with that, but who is he to judge and expects everyone to be like him?

Finally, I don't know who did most of the actual writing, Jerry or Brian, but thoughts were not well organized, like in one place he was talking about Rich Gannon with Oakland Raiders, and within a few sentences in the same paragraph, his kids came up, I couldn't make the connection, I was expecting elaboration on certain play that worked out well or horribly, or how their relationship and chemistry developed, or whatever related to football, the Raiders and Rich Gannon.

But being a 49ers fan, I'm glad I read it, it's always nice to get to know a player or former player better even though you may end up liking them less.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Go Long!: My Journey Beyond the Game and the Fame
Go Long!: My Journey Beyond the Game and the Fame by Jerry Rice (Paperback - January 29, 2008)
$14.00 $10.20