5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic mobility, and a lot of fun too

Published on June 22, 2004 by I <3 Electronix

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic mobility, and a lot of fun too, October 13, 2003
the raven (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GoMotorboard 1500X Transporter (Electronics)
I have been very happy with my purchase (which was rather spontaneous). The 1500X is a real joy to use. I ride it to work and back (NYC) about 2 miles each way. (It generates stares and polite questions.) Battery is good for two round trips (8-9 miles). Who needs a Segway when you can get this? Positives: Fast acceleration and top speed, very durable and solid-feeling construction, dual braking system, very sleek looks, a lot of fun, affordable pricing, will keep rolling powered at slow speed (good for walking pace through sidewalk crowds). I cannot tell if the regenerative braking actually makes a significant difference to battery life. Negatives (and here I'm just being picky): The company seems to be just starting, so despite the instructions I see no way yet to order replacement decks or wheels (the Go website is bare-bones) -- hopefully that will come soon. The instructions have all sorts of doom-and-gloom messages for riding through dirt or water; I have been very careful not to, but I wonder if in testing they had durability problems with the wheels and motors, hence all the dire warnings. Wheels get dirty and you have to clean them for good acceleration. The friction lock-nut for the shaft tends to loosen up and rattle on bumpy surfaces. Although probably considered light for what it is able to do, it is still fairly heavy and awkward to carry in tight places so you will prefer to push it when not riding (although is pretty compact overall). I hope they make a sling/backpack carrying case for it. The scooter does not give me a 15-mile range. I would say more like 8-9 miles in New York City (mostly flat terrain, with intermittant use). It gives even less range if you are using it for one long, fast ride. My charger seems to have a loose power cord that I have to wiggle to get it to charge, otherwise the finishings and labels are fantastic. The battery runs out with little warning (jumps right from OK to MED to LOW), leaving you to push-scoot home. You can feel every bump on the sidewalk, so rough pavement or bricks are wrenching, but you do get used to it and learn to seek smooth surfaces. Overall, it's a fantastic product and I'm having a great time with it. I highly recommend it for fun or if you have a scooter-friendly commute of 5 miles or less. If you are going to use it on the sidewalk, please be courteous and preserve good will by slowing down when passing pedestrians.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's rough!, September 14, 2004
K. Chuen (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
23 pounds seems light on paper, but it gets really heavy if you have to carry it for extented period of time in a packed bus or in places where you have to carry it. I got myself a large Hakuba Tripods bag and the motorboards fit in it perfectly for carrying it around.

The wheels on the motorboards are like those in rollarblades, just much bigger. Very tough and hard. Only ride this board on a smooth surface. Even riding on a normal road feels very rough and bumpy.

In shorts, the good - very fast, powerful, and compact. Speed control is very precise. Easy to setup and easy to fold-up just as advertised. Fast charging and the battery seems to last forever.

The bad - the ride is rough which is expected since the wheels are rock solid and "relatively" small. The handlebars are not very high which is also expected. But the speed controller and the mechanical brake trigger are positioned parallel to the ground. I'm 5'10" and i feel my hands are in a very awkward position to be able to hold on to the handlebars and have my fingers on the brake and the speed control. If only they have an extra lock hole so that I can twist the controls into a more comfortable angle. I feel like getting a Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from riding it like this.

UPDATE: Just looked closely on the handlebars. I think I can adjust the angles for the brakes and controls like those on a bike. So the controls are not that bad afterall. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars One-of-a-kind, August 22, 2004
This review is from: GoMotorboard 1500X Transporter (Electronics)
Bought the 1500X at the beginning of July. Have been using it to traverse from the west side of Manhattan to the east side. So far, I couldn't be happier. I've cut my commute down from 45 mins. to less than 15 mins.

The machine is built like a tank. Aircraft aluminum, F-16 batteries, and that rugged piano hinge for steering. With it all, it's still light enough to haul around.

The company says that the range is 12-15 miles. Not a chance. In the words of the company, 12-15 miles is for 'marketing purposes only. Your mileage will probably be less.' Yeah, like 7-10 miles less. Even the company told me in an email that the chief engineer only gets 8 miles on a charge. Well, I guess 'for marketing purposes' means that since all scooter companies lie about the range of their batteries, [edited] has to lie as well just to stay competitive. Truth be told, I'm amazed that such a light battery pack (8 lbs.) can even go for 5 miles, especially when you consider I'm going up inclines and riding into the wind.

With the stock wheels, the ride is bumpy [edited]. I bought a 5" inflatable tire for the front (the only 5" inflatable tire I could find on the web) at [edited], and it's helped significantly to absorb many of the smaller hand-numbing bumps. However, the bigger bumps and rough pavement will always be a problem since the wheels are only 5 inches in diameter.

A couple of annoying defects, such as the screw cap that locks the front post into place is always coming loose and rattles wildy. Easy fix though: I use a piece of duct tape to keep the cap from loosening. Also, do not even attempt to ride the Motorboard when it's wet. It can't stop since it uses a rear scrub brake. And if the sides of the rear wheel get wet, it won't even go! The motor spinners will just spin aimlessly.

There's no doubt about it, the Go Motorboard is an incredible product. It's fast and light and well-balanced. It's built incredibly well. But keep in mind that it's only for certain terrain. From my extensive research, there's nothing around that comes close - unless you move up to units that weight 40-50 lbs.

Lastly, the company needs to get its act together with customer service. Emails and phone calls rarely get returned.

I hope this was helpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Less than 50% chance of getting a working one - POOR Support, June 22, 2004
This review is from: GoMotorboard 1500X Transporter (Electronics)
I bought 2 transporters. One did not work out of the box. It will not charge. The other works ok - but does not provide the run time advertised with a 120 lb rider on smooth, flat surfaces. I have been trying to work with Go Motorboards' customer support, calling daily, just getting bounced from voice mail box to voice mail box. This seems like a company run out of someones garage. For the $350 cost, you would expect more. I would not recommend buying this, and certainly not online, as you will loose your shipping costs when you are stuck returning it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST one i've ever used!!, September 18, 2003
This review is from: GoMotorboard 1500X Transporter (Electronics)
I was at sport chalet when i saw some kid riding this push scooter looking device. As I got closer I asked him and it was not a push scooter. Much to my surprise it was electric. It was very light and manueverable, very slick and a lot nicer than those big bulky ones. Even with the scooter turned off it rode like a regular push scooter, which is great for downhill or if you ever run out of batteries. Very unlikely to run out of batteries though because it can travel up to 15-16 miles on a single charge, and even if you went that far you wouldnt have to walk it home like the other type of electric scooters, which weigh almost as much as a 10 year old kid. The wood board is very retro looking and the wide and larger wheels make great for control and make you feel fearless going over bumps. I weigh 160lbs and I was going up a pretty steep incline and still going rather quickly with no thought in my mind that it was gonna stop and I would lose my balance. Probablly the best scooter on the market, and a definite christmas, birthday, or no occasion present. Forget playstation2, GET OUTSIDE on a motorboard!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Scooter-Do Not Purchase, June 21, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: GoMotorboard 1500X Transporter (Electronics)
Scooter is fast. That's the only good thing I can say. Vibration from street is ridiculously violent, and I was using it on brand new sidewalk. On the ninth day of riding, the scooter just stopped working. I had ridden it less than 16 miles total. Very disappointing. I would not recommend this scooter to anyone. I returned it for refund. Still waiting to see if I get my money back. : (

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, November 30, 2004
This review is from: GoMotorboard 1500X Transporter (Electronics)
I recently bought the 1500X used on Ebay for $150, pretty cheap for the quality of product you get with this scooter. At first, it wouldn't hold a charge. After doing some research, I found out that the batteries are very much like car batteries, except sealed. Just like a car battery, it is best to always keep it fully charged, especially when stored. That is why the regenerative braking is important to keep charging up the batteries. The person I bought it from didn't use it very much, he stored it for a few months in a discharged state which killed the battery. After ordering a new battery, it worked perfectly. 15 mph is very fast for this little scooter, almost too fast. I hit a crack wrong in the road and went flying. You definitely have to be cautious about where you ride. I use it mostly for getting around my university campus. It is so small, that I can bring it on buses, in classrooms, libraries and stores with no problem. The motors are very powerful, went up steep hills with no problem. Plus you can help going up a hill by kicking at the same time. The design is so simple so it is easy to replace wheels, batteries, and clean. DON'T USE IN WATER!!!! That will hurt the motors, they use friction to turn the wheels and water will ruin them. I love this scooter, folds up and unfolds in seconds. It also is a big eye-catcher since people are surprised that it actually has motors. I'm sure a lot of the problems posted here are valid. But for the price of replacements parts, its still worth it. Also go motorboards has just updated their website at [...] You can now order new decks, parts, and even their new 1600x with a front suspension. WOW!

1.0 out of 5 stars Go Motorboards 1500X Transporter, May 15, 2004
By A Customer
What a mistake!
I’m not sure who would write them but someone wrote good review on 1500x (may be they were bribed) so I decided to get one. Now I wish I didn’t. See following reasons.
First, this thing has no cushion at all. You will feel every imperfection on the pavement. After 5 minutes of riding, your feet will get numb. When I went over a quarter inch piece of pebble, I felt it in my ankle, my knees and all the way up to my spine. Also, because of this un-cushioned design, it vibrates so much that the screws start to loosen up after a few rides and I lost one within a week. This is a major design flaw!
Second, if you hit a small bump, the spinning rod on each side of rear wheel carves into the surface and makes indentation. After a couple dozens of small bumps, you will need to replace the wheel and the replacement wheel is pricy.
Third, after riding about half hour a day for three weeks, the motor broke. It was noisy and going slow. I sent it in for repair and the customer service was horrible. They were hard to reach and all they gave me were bunch of excuses for not getting my return processed for weeks.
Folks, unless you don’t mind regretting deeply, don’t get 1500X Transporter. Try the scooters with pneumatic tires and belt drive system.

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE!-Phantom Warranty Support -, May 9, 2005
This review is from: GoMotorboard 1500X Transporter (Electronics)
DON'T BUY this product unless it is perfect right out of the box, BECAUSE they WON'T stand by the warranty!

Mine was brand new, but because I didn't pay the retail price (I bought it on closeout with the new 1600x coming in) they won't stand behind the warranty. The battery is DEFECTIVE and it will only run for five minutes.

Yes, I contacted customer service, and here is their actual response for your reading pleasure:

"We only warranty the battery for units purchased ... for an authorized price. The price you paid was $X, and the scooter retails for $349. Therefore, you will need to purchase a new battery."

So, I have to pay for a battery to make my NEW scooter run. Bottom line: If you like to look at the scooter as a pretty Living Room ornament, go ahead. But otherwise, be scared - -And do yourself a favor, BUY SOMETHING ELSE.

BUYER BEWARE.

The specs are impressive, but the dang thing has to actually WORK. Especially if you get a good price.

Good luck to all buyers!

2.0 out of 5 stars Shaky item, July 21, 2004
Jason (Manchester, NH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GoMotorboard 1500X Transporter (Electronics)
Do your research!!!! This electric scooter is SOOOOOOOOOO cool, yet many minor technical problems. Mainly with the battery. The company is not even a year old. The tech. specialist is some guy in Long Beach, Cali. They give you his private cell# I was SO excited when i got this in the mail.. I took it right out. Fully charged like they stated. It worked fine for about 4 days then, WHAM... never worked after that. I did everything the guy told me. Nada. Nothing. Zilch... Just paper weight now. Fortunately, i got my money back from Target, for i wasnt that pissed off. I would really like another one, maybe the one i had was a lemon. Who knows. Lightweight. portable. QUICK at the start of a gun. Pretty fast. Its the ideal thing. However, one thing. THe battery does NOT last as long as they say it does. 15miles!!! yeah right.. only if you weigh like 80lbs and you're riding on COMPLETELY flat, SMOOTH surface. thats they only way. Otherwise, you get a good 3miles.. ANd thats with somes hills and everything. i weigh 140lbs.

GoMotorboard 1500X Transporter