Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

Size: One SizeColor: RedChange

on April 21, 2014
I used the Floaty pad in combination with "The Bobber" handle on a recent boating / snorkeling outing. The Floaty element of the combination seemed to be well designed.

I wanted the pad for floatation during boating. And found the handle helpful during snorkeling. Either device alone probably would have been more than adequate for flotation.

Attaching the Floaty pad: The Floaty has a large adhesive pad to attach it to the back of the GoPro case. The Floaty covers essentially the entire back face of the GoPro case, so aligning it when attaching it to the back can be a bit tricky. You want the pad well centered but don't want it to interfere with the GoPro latch at the top if the case. What worked well for me was to put the Floaty pad down on a table, adhesive side up. Then press the provided spare door onto the Floaty pad. This allows you to look through the clear door as you are attaching it to the pad. Then remove the original GoPro door and snap this new one into place. Much easier to control the alignment than trying to press the Floaty onto the full GoPro case.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 20, 2014
When I went white water rafting with my GoPro HD Hero Naked for the first time, I bought this as cheap insurance in case the tour outfit's pre-installed mounts happened to come loose from my helmet or I smacked heads with someone in the boat and knocked it off. After having a friend lose her GoPro in a lake when its suction-mount failed, I wasn't about to risk it.

There are several 3rd party floats for the GoPro cameras, but I liked this one for three reasons: 1) First and foremost, it comes with spare waterproof backdoors (one for the older Hero cameras, and one for the Hero3+ with the new smaller housing). That means that once you install the floaty back, you aren't stuck with a float always being on your original waterproof backdoor from there on out. This was important to me since I like to use the waterproof backdoor to cut down on wind noise when using the GoPro on my motorcycle, and I didn't want the extra bulky look of the float sticking out when mounting the camera on my helmet. 2) It's a high-visibility orange. I saw the slightly cheaper ProFloaty Removable - GoPro Floaty Backdoor Accessory that's available in a bright green color, and the orange seemed like it would be visible in a greater variety of situations. 3) And finally, while not important in the grand scheme of things, having an OEM accessory like this just looks nice. I like having the logo and the "Be a hero" tagline on the back of the float; it just makes the whole kit look a bit more high-quality.

If you're going to be heading out into a body of water with your GoPro, do yourself a favor and spend the $15 to protect your $200 to $400 investment. You'll regret needing the insurance of a float and not having it a lot more than having the insurance and not needing it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2014
If you have a GoPro you must get this for filming in water. I was alwasy worried I'd accidentially lose my $400 GoPro in the lake. This Floaty has a easilly seen high visability color, comes with a back door for both the older and newer GoPro Housings and the 3m Adhesive pad is very reliable. I no longer think twice taking my GoPro out on Lake Winnipesaukee!
on April 15, 2015
Great product but i ordered one and receive 6??? Anyway fitted well my go pro hero 3!
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2014
In what shouldn't be a shock to anyone... the floaty back does indeed float. It's also bright orange so you can see it floating in the water.

The real reason I gave it 5-stars is that GoPro backs their stuff 100%. I "misused" the floaty backdoor by attaching it (while attached to my GoPro) to a model rocket in hopes of getting some cool aerial shots. Instead, the acceleration ripped the floaty from the 3M tape and sent my camera and rocket flying in 4 different directions. It was like watching a 3rd world country doing rocket tests. Anyway, I contacted GoPro and they sent me an entire new one for free. That's quality. Anyone can make a floating sponge with some industrial tape. But it's the warranty they stand behind that makes this worth it.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2014
Works great. I wish that GoPro accessories weren't so expensive though. This comes with the floaty part, and two new back doors. One for the old GoPro and one for the new GoPro case. So it will be compatible with yours. However, that also means that you have to stick it to the back of the door, and you will have to allow about 24 hours of curing time after you receive the item and before you go in the water with it, so keep that in mind.

Once in the water it performs as advertised. It has enough buoyancy to float the camera plus a mount. I had my suction cup attached and it still floated.
on July 13, 2014
This is an Awesome addition to the GoPro. Can't beat it for the price. If you cant to see what you can do once you have this to use with your gopro just check out this video we made.
on August 11, 2014
it's original and does float. comes with a couple backdoors, not sure why, but i'll take it.

BUT, minus stars for the sheer frustration at how time consuming it was to finally get the sticky part unpeeled, they cut the sticker and protective layer exactly to the edge and i almost had to rip a bit to get it separated. i did it on the beach hoping it would be quicker, so do it at home.

BUT, the sticky part is extremely sticky, so that's great, however, make sure you put it on straight, squared off and where you want it. once it's on, its even harder to take it off.
on January 7, 2014
it will float your camera + a bacpac. It will also float your camera with most mounts, except for the suction cup mount. Very easy to install, and comes with a lanyard and a small mount to attach the lanyard on. I feel much safer while surfing with this on my camera. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. MUST HAVE FOR ANY WATER USE. ABSOLUTELY GREAT QUALITY.
on January 9, 2015
Works very effectively with my GoPro 3+ Black Edition. When it's attached to the headband, it's still strong enough to float. I take it everywhere I go on trips whenever I need to go into the water.

WARNING: If you do use it with something much heavier than a headstrap, like a tripod, etc... based on the size, it will not float. Don't be a fool and attach on an apparatus that is heavy along with this small floatie. The floatie is only like 2" x 3" and will easily sink unless it's very lightweight.