Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Size: One Size|Color: Red|Change

on April 21, 2014
I used the Floaty pad in combination with "The Bobber" handle on a recent boating / snorkeling outing. The Floaty element of the combination seemed to be well designed.

I wanted the pad for floatation during boating. And found the handle helpful during snorkeling. Either device alone probably would have been more than adequate for flotation.

Attaching the Floaty pad: The Floaty has a large adhesive pad to attach it to the back of the GoPro case. The Floaty covers essentially the entire back face of the GoPro case, so aligning it when attaching it to the back can be a bit tricky. You want the pad well centered but don't want it to interfere with the GoPro latch at the top if the case. What worked well for me was to put the Floaty pad down on a table, adhesive side up. Then press the provided spare door onto the Floaty pad. This allows you to look through the clear door as you are attaching it to the pad. Then remove the original GoPro door and snap this new one into place. Much easier to control the alignment than trying to press the Floaty onto the full GoPro case.
on March 20, 2014
When I went white water rafting with my GoPro HD Hero Naked for the first time, I bought this as cheap insurance in case the tour outfit's pre-installed mounts happened to come loose from my helmet or I smacked heads with someone in the boat and knocked it off. After having a friend lose her GoPro in a lake when its suction-mount failed, I wasn't about to risk it.

There are several 3rd party floats for the GoPro cameras, but I liked this one for three reasons: 1) First and foremost, it comes with spare waterproof backdoors (one for the older Hero cameras, and one for the Hero3+ with the new smaller housing). That means that once you install the floaty back, you aren't stuck with a float always being on your original waterproof backdoor from there on out. This was important to me since I like to use the waterproof backdoor to cut down on wind noise when using the GoPro on my motorcycle, and I didn't want the extra bulky look of the float sticking out when mounting the camera on my helmet. 2) It's a high-visibility orange. I saw the slightly cheaper ProFloaty Removable - GoPro Floaty Backdoor Accessory that's available in a bright green color, and the orange seemed like it would be visible in a greater variety of situations. 3) And finally, while not important in the grand scheme of things, having an OEM accessory like this just looks nice. I like having the logo and the "Be a hero" tagline on the back of the float; it just makes the whole kit look a bit more high-quality.

If you're going to be heading out into a body of water with your GoPro, do yourself a favor and spend the $15 to protect your $200 to $400 investment. You'll regret needing the insurance of a float and not having it a lot more than having the insurance and not needing it.
11 comment| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2014
If you have a GoPro you must get this for filming in water. I was alwasy worried I'd accidentially lose my $400 GoPro in the lake. This Floaty has a easilly seen high visability color, comes with a back door for both the older and newer GoPro Housings and the 3m Adhesive pad is very reliable. I no longer think twice taking my GoPro out on Lake Winnipesaukee!
on April 15, 2015
Great product but i ordered one and receive 6??? Anyway fitted well my go pro hero 3!
review image
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2014
Works great. I wish that GoPro accessories weren't so expensive though. This comes with the floaty part, and two new back doors. One for the old GoPro and one for the new GoPro case. So it will be compatible with yours. However, that also means that you have to stick it to the back of the door, and you will have to allow about 24 hours of curing time after you receive the item and before you go in the water with it, so keep that in mind.

Once in the water it performs as advertised. It has enough buoyancy to float the camera plus a mount. I had my suction cup attached and it still floated.
on March 6, 2014
In what shouldn't be a shock to anyone... the floaty back does indeed float. It's also bright orange so you can see it floating in the water.

The real reason I gave it 5-stars is that GoPro backs their stuff 100%. I "misused" the floaty backdoor by attaching it (while attached to my GoPro) to a model rocket in hopes of getting some cool aerial shots. Instead, the acceleration ripped the floaty from the 3M tape and sent my camera and rocket flying in 4 different directions. It was like watching a 3rd world country doing rocket tests. Anyway, I contacted GoPro and they sent me an entire new one for free. That's quality. Anyone can make a floating sponge with some industrial tape. But it's the warranty they stand behind that makes this worth it.
55 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2015
Not all GoPro floaty's are the same quality , Ive found stock sold by Amazon to be a tad thicker & larger then those stocked at Bestbuy.
What does this mean? pretty simple really ,
Buy the Amazon version & your gopro will have more float.
review image review image
on July 13, 2014
This is an Awesome addition to the GoPro. Can't beat it for the price. If you cant to see what you can do once you have this to use with your gopro just check out this video we made. http://youtu.be/ZyrmAP5CTFo
on December 13, 2014
I purchased this floaty back door to be used mainly for snorkeling and scuba. It works fine for snorkeling but is and abject failure
for scuba. The closed cell foam collapses and has virtually no load carrying capability at depth. Since I'm a diver I probably should have realized this. Best protection is to have a wrist lanyard and/or lanyard to your BC. I'm returning it.
on February 18, 2015
this thing saved my Gopro from certain peril....
One a sunny August day off of the coast of Popoyo beach in Nicaragua at a reef break that was firing solid 6-8 ft lefts, I paddled out with my GoPro mounted and ready to take some quality footage. I had just put this floaty backdoor piece on the camera as an extra precaution in case something crazy happened to unmount my camera from my board. I had previously been surfing for over a year with just the camera and waterhousing itself mounted to the board. As I pulled into a heaving left barrel, the thundering lip of the water came blasting down upon me as I drew my line slightly off from where I should of been. When I came up after around 10 seconds of an underwater thrashing, to my dismay the GoPro was nowhere in sight, as Poseidon did his best to bring my $300 camera to the depths of the pacific. I looked around myself in the water frantically searching to no avail...
30 minutes later as I strolled the beach, there was my GoPro safe and sound floating in the nearby rivermouth while the tide came in. The undersea gods and devils are no match for the soft rubbery orange goodness that this floaty back door imparts.
On a separate note, it works great to bite if you want to hold the GoPro in your mouth while doing watersports to get the perspective you want. Buy it, you won't regret it!