GoPro Dual Battery Charger for Hero 3 and Hero 3+
Package Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$22.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 13, 2014
I scuba dive with my GoPro camera and spend lots of hours in the water. When diving you really need to use the LED back for the camera and it uses up a bit more power. It's a good idea to swap out batteries between dives. When back on dry land it's good to be able to be charging a couple of batteries outside the camera while one may be in use in the camera. (I keep three batteries with me.)

This charger has a rubberized exterior which protects it from bumps and drops. It keeps it from feeling like cheap plastic, too. GoPro also supplies a short USB cable, but cannot be used as a wall charger or automobile charger without the proper adapters.

A nice feature is the dual charge indicator lights. If you are charging two batteries at once and one is more depleted than the other, it's good to be able to see which is fully charged first in case there is a pressing need for it. An amber light for charging is followed by a green light for fully charged.

This fully charged two new 1180 mAH batteries in about 2.5 hours using a wall charger adapter.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 26, 2015
After using my original older Wasabi single battery charger a few times, I didn't appreciate the 3.5 hr charge time (battery was not totally dead either).
And it's bulky and charges only 1 battery at a time.

( http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-AHDBT-201-AHDBT-301-AHDBT-302/dp/B00AAIPT76/ref=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1435348061&sr=1-3 , Item model number: KIT-BTR-Hero3-LCH-Hero3-01 )

So I went looking for a faster charger , and a dual charger.

I found this OEM GoPro, dual charger.
And also found a newer dual Wasabi charger.

The newer dual Wasabi's published their ratings for the currents (higher than the older single one)... but the GOPRO didn't.
(the more current, the faster you can charger a battery - to a point , too much cause too much heating = destroy a battery)
so wasn't sure which would be better.
So bought the GOPRO dual the the newer Wasabi dual.

I did a test comparing this OEM GoPro with the Wasabi newer dual charger I bought from Amazon at the same time..
The "Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Dual Charger" Part Number KIT-US-AHDBT302-01.

Look and feel of this GOPRO is top rate OEM quality stuff.
There is a dull grippy feeling coating on it's surfaces.
BUT For the price, you do NOT get a AC USB wall adapter for 12v USB adapter, and no battery.
You only get the charger body shown, that holds the batteries, and an annoyingly short usb mating cable.

The Wasabi hardware feels well made as well.
All bright shinny black hard plastic, and feels solid.

For my testing below:
I used the AC USB adapter Wasabi supplied with the Wasabi kit.

For the GOPRO, I had to find one, I had a SAMSUNG AC USB adapter with the same ratings as the Wasabi.

5V @ 2.1a .

So Game on...Apples and Apples for a power source.

(NOTE: The Wasabi AC USB adapter actually has two outputs, A 2.1A one and a 1A one, of course I used the 2.1A one for the test, and did not plug anything into the 1A USB output.)

So yea the GOPRO works and looks and feels well made, they both work, but who's the fastest charger?

I used the two NEW Wasabi batteries that came with the new Wasabi kit I just bought.
(I've been having great luck with the 2 Wasabi batteries I already owned... I only have 1 OEM GOPRO battery).
(I now have a total of 4 Wasabi batteries)

Each time I took the time to allow the battery to fully discharge in my Hero3+Black, till the camera shut off.
Typically saw 1hr and 5mins thru 15mins, camera sitting recording at 1080p/60frames, I had WIFI on too.
After discharged, I let the batteries cool down before charging, and cleared the data card (using the GoPro battery)
No matter the charger, the Run times were constant, within 5-10minutes of each other, close enough.

Charge times is what I was really interested in.

With only 1 battery in each dual charger.
The Wasabi took 2hrs.
This GOPRO took 2.5hrs (still a lot better than the 3.5hrs on a ~85% discharged battery with my original Wasabi single battery charger)

With two batteries in each dual charger...
The Wasabi took 2hrs (yes, one or two batteries didn't change the charge time) (batteries finished within 5mins of each other).
This GOPRO took 4.25hrs (what I feared) (both batteries finished at Exactly the same time).

So, if you bought this GOPRO charger, it'll do the job well enough with 1 battery at a time, but poor charge time with two totally drained batteries at the same time.

For about 40% less on cost, the Wasabi dual charger kit gives a TON more value over the GoPro dual charger....
You get:
- A very powerful AC USB adapter.
- A very powerful 12V USB adapter.
- A longer USB cable (compared to the GoPro dual charger).
- And apparently a much better dual battery charger (compared to the GoPro dual charger).
- AND TWO batteries.

The GoPro:
- Dual battery charger.
- Short USB Cable.

The Wasabi kit is the total package , ready to roll dual battery package..
("Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Dual Charger" Part Number KIT-US-AHDBT302-01.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I2VIR2M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00 )

The GOPRO OEM dual charger isn't ready to roll , and it's more expensive, and a slower charger..
(GoPro Dual Battery Charger for Hero 3 and Hero 3+ , Item model number: AHBBP-301
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 18, 2014
The product info doesn't tell you that it's only compatible with batteries for the Hero 3 and Hero 3+ models. I bought this to use with batteries for our Hero 2, and only discovered after reading the package labeling and insert that it won't work with what I've got. Bummer...
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 3, 2014
The charger works as promises: it charges the batteries. Unlike most digital camera battery chargers, that plug directly into a wall outlet, this charger is powered by a USB connection. It works fine but that's one more cable and adapter to bring along; I wish the charger would connect directly to the wall.
on July 8, 2014
I've been looking for a while for a charger for the great GoPro system I have. This one fits the bill in all ways. I love the ability to charge more than one battery at a time.
on January 30, 2014
This is great for anyone that has more than one battery for their GoPro camera! This also works when having to charge the batteries and remote!
on July 4, 2014
Finally, a reliable wall charger for my batteries. It works great, and I use my phone adapter to plug it into the wall.
on February 16, 2015
Great and helpful buy! I bought this because it was about half off the usual price, so for $16! I'm really happy with this purchase, of all the accessories to have for a GoPro, the dual battery charger is a must! I have 3 GoPro batteries and this charger is very efficient, charges 2 at a time and pretty fast as well! The build quality is on par with other GoPro brand accessories, it has a grippy surface, so you can't drop it all that easily! Also you don't have to only use GoPro branded batteries, you can use the other off brands too! I would definitely recommend this charger if you have more than 1 GoPro battery, as it will save you a lot of time, patience and money!
on December 5, 2014
The charger is great as I can charge two batteries at once. The LED Light indicates that the battery is charging if it's an Amber color and once the battery is fully charged it turns green. It comes with a USB so you can just plug it into a USB Adapter to the wall or on your computer/laptop. Please note that this only charges batteries for GoPro Hero 3/3+.
on January 25, 2014
Small in size but huge in benefits, good recharge time, super portable. Designed very clean, I recommend it a lot.