If you use a helmet cam, you know you are paying for a specialty item.
When you buy accessories for a specialty item, you tend to pay more as well.
So, no strikes on the price. I knew what I was getting and the cost is fair.

The Key benefits
1. You CAN see what you are aiming it. Get the right shot, the first time.
2. It allows full text...
Published on March 6, 2011 by S. Box

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that Great
It's really small, hard to see in daylight,uses a lot of battery power and has limited uses. expensive.

Good points , GoPro does give you new back cases for the increase is size, I find that the best use is to see where you are filming than turn off the LCD to save power.

Published on March 1, 2011 by Bernie Toes

5.0 out of 5 stars No more shooting the sky, helmet, or ground for 2 hrs (unless you want to), March 6, 2011
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (Camera)
If you use a helmet cam, you know you are paying for a specialty item.
When you buy accessories for a specialty item, you tend to pay more as well.
So, no strikes on the price. I knew what I was getting and the cost is fair.

The Key benefits
1. You CAN see what you are aiming it. Get the right shot, the first time.
2. It allows full text viewing of all your menu items instead of the cryptic lettering on the front
3. You can set the auto-off. It will go off after XX seconds and not use battery after.
4. You get a a bunch of housings, that if bought separately would be nearly the cost of the LCD.

Used it on a snowmobile ride recently where branches and other assorted issues cause the top helmet mount to be out of wack. Super easy to turn on the LCD, repoint the camera, and turn it off again. Worth its weight in gold for on-the-fly adjustments without having to pull the card or rig up some external viewer. Worth every cent if you do sports that leave the camera exposed or with the potential to not get the right framing.

Drawbacks:
1. Can be hard to see in overly bright days.
No strikes due to this for me. I can still see it well enough, it does it's job.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect add on for a Go-Pro camera!, March 15, 2011
jedi008 "jedi_008" (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (Camera)
I found the LCD screen to be quite clear even though it is small. This BacPak does add about 1/2" of additional bulk to the camera, so if weight or size is an issue, then it can be easily removed and used with out.

What I really like about it is that the menu system displays now on the BacPac LCD in real words instead of only those cryptic letters on the front LCD screen That is a big plus in my opinion!

As far as battery life, the screen can easily be shut off in order to conserve battery life.

I really do like the flexibility of now being able to view pictures and videos immediately instead of having to wait to access a computer. This can make a BIG difference between getting the shot you are looking for instead of a shot of the sky or ground!

As a final comment, make sure you install the new firmware BEFORE trying to use the BacPak. Instructions are easy to follow and are available on [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Not always needed, but very cool when it is, March 10, 2011
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (Camera)
Most of the time I'm using my GoPro, I only use the LCD for setting up shots or shot angles, but I always use it when I'm handheld shooting. You know what you're framing and can quickly adjust to get some really cool perspectives. Unless I'm handheld shooting, I usually set it to turn off a minute after the last button press in case i forget to turn it off myself. You can also adjust the brightness if you need to. I wind up using it a bunch to review pictures and videos too. It has a speaker, so you can hear the audio track. For whatever reason, most of my friends dig the instant gratification of checking out something that just happened, and now we can do just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great and allows me a lot more control of my shots, March 29, 2012
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (Camera)
Just got mine in last week. Has been working great and will allow you some great shots, as you can see exactly what you're filming.

As a note to a lot of the LCD's not working, or having a black/blank screen with only sound, etc., you must follow these steps exactly for the HERO2 version:

1. Update your you Hero2 to v70
2. Oonce updated, power off and on the Hero2
3. while pressing down on the LCD Bacpac power button, connect it to the Hero2 until you see the menu screen on the LCD display turn on(approx 3-5 seconds), then release the power button. DO NOT LET GO OF THE LCD BACKPAC POWER BUTTON UNTIL IT IS FULLY CONNECTED TO THE HERO2 AND WHEN YOU SEE THE START MENU APPEAR.
4. You should only have to do these steps once, but if the screen starts to have problems again, repeat these steps.

-dave

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that Great, March 1, 2011
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (Camera)

I use the GoPro HD on my Motorcycle & inside my car, so the LCD may be be more useful depending on how you use it.

4.0 out of 5 stars LCD Stopped working - How to Fix, August 16, 2012
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (Camera)
The LCD BacPac is great and would worth the price, as long as it works.

I bought one and after a few uses the LCD would not turn on. I was not using the camera or lcd where there is any impact or much vibration in the camera, nor am I using it underwater, but I always used the protective case. I got a new one. It stopped working after a few light uses as well.

After some trial and error and the firmware update not working the first time, I figured out how to get it to work again.

First, if you have not updated the firmware...
1. Update the firmware: [...]
Make sure your camera is HD HERO2:
a. Off
b. Disconnected from the computer
c. With the SD card inserted
d. With the battery fully charged
2a) Once successfully installed, close the program "CineForm Studio"
3a) Turn on your camera HD HERO2
4a) If your camera or your SD card has not been used before, make a small photo or video.
5a) Connect your camera to your HD HERO2 computer with a USB cable.
6a) Open the "CineForm Studio".
7a) If an update is available, a dialog box will appear - click "Update" (Update).
8a) The "CineForm Studio" that update automatically download and install it on your camera HERO2 HD camera.

After updating the firmware...
2. With the LCD BacPac not attached to the camera, turn the camera power on.
3. Press and hold the LCD power button (the only button on the LCD BacPac.
4. While holding down the button on the LCD BacPac, attach the BacPac to the Camera. (LCD should start working with a menu screen, but the camera may not want to respond to button commands - mine didn't)
5. Turn the camera off (with LCD attached)
6. Turn the camera back on (with LCD attached).

Camera and LCD should now work as is supposed to.

If this wasn't so difficult and had to search forever to find out the final trick (of attaching the LCD with the button pushed and the camera on, I would have given it 5 stars. As it is, I was tempted to give it 3. GoPro does not provide the directions for attaching the LCD after an update.

4.0 out of 5 stars LCD Bacpak, March 13, 2011
Tom "ontrac1" (Flemington, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (Camera)
This makes the GoPro camera complete in my opinion. Without a viewfinder you are shooting blind. Granted if it's mounted on your head, you'll need a friend. However I have my GoPro cameras mounted in our machinery to video our work. We use the skeleton backs so we can run a power cord for constant power. Without the bacpak, you don't know how your shots are framed or if the camera is recording. A great feature and may be reason enough to buy this is that the menu appears in plain english on the LCD screen. No more cryptic messages on that tiny screen on the front of the camera. Like anything else, it fits a need but not everyone will need this accessory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy Product to Have, April 3, 2012
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (Camera)
This product is a must have for the GoPro Heros. It allows you to frame your shot, instead of just "guessing" what you're shooting. The BacPac also comes with 4 additional cage backs to fit on your current housing.

That being said this product is not perfect. It drains the battery fast, so you have to use it sparingly if you don't have extra Hero batteries.

Like others have posted, I was also a victim of this product only working for a day before I got the black screen of death. The LCD worked perfectly the first day I used it. The second day I could not get the screen to turn on. I then updated the firmware in my Hero2 and it still did not work. I emailed GoPro and they emailed me the solution in under 24 hours. The trick that I did not know was that by holding down the LCD BacPac's button while attaching to the Hero2 (already powered on) and holding the button for 5 seconds after attaching it. This got the LCD pac working for me again. Since then I have had no issues with it.

Overall I am very happy with this product, especially when you compare it to a video monitor with HDMI input. The prices are not even remotely similar. My only complaint is all the drama of trying to figure out why this product was not working.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Purchase, April 29, 2011
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (Camera)
I'm very happy that I bought the LCD Bacpac for my GoPro because, even though it is a little bit more bulky, I already used it during my trip when I need it t film a portion knowing where to aim and how t would like in the movie.
I also wore it on my head when doing a zip line and didn't mind the extra weight and was able to aim the camera right and afterwards turn it off for the rest of the filming so it wouldn't consume more battery life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Little ripper..., September 9, 2011
This camera wasn't my first choice. I first bought a Drift Innovation Stealth which arrived faulty, then received a faulty replacement, so not wanting to push the '3rd time's a charm' theory, went for a GoPro instead.

I'm quite pleased with the picture quality and I'm impressed with the LCD bacpac (far superior to the Drift screen). Although I must say that without the LCD programming the camera is a pain. Plug in the LCD and programming is all too easy.

I first picked the Drift over the GoPro and Contour for 3 reasons, the remote, the screen, and the external microphone option. Apart from those all the reviews I've read have the cameras on level footing (depending on the reviewer's preference or bias).

Quality of construction goes hands down to GoPro over the Drift and it feels a sturdier build but the sound quality really is crap and there's no way to improve it so that's disappointing. Hopefully they'll provide an upgrade via the Bacpac connection at some later stage.

With all the different places these things can be mounted the other thing that's getting to me is that I have to stop and get off to start or stop the camera. A remote really would be nice and once again, (I hope GoPro is listening), perhaps one day they add something via the Bacpac port.

All in all, excellent build quality, great picture, value for money. Works for me.

GoPro LCD Bacpac