5.0 out of 5 stars Great for High Altitude Ballooning
Published 12 months ago by P. McWhorter

3.0 out of 5 stars Wifi drains battery at night.
Wifi was running constantly and even when turned off had to go in manually and change it through the camera settings. The battery would be fully charged at night, then in the morning it was dead. Ran the 'recommended' software update but still didn't work. Don't use the wifi button on the camera to turn it off. Go in the settings itself in the camera and turn it off.
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for High Altitude Ballooning, February 22, 2014
This review is from: GoPro HERO3: White Edition (Electronics)
I purchased this camera for a High Altitude Balloon program I am working on. In the project, we send a package to the edge of space (>100,000 feet) and then return it to earth. We needed a camera that took high resolution pictures, was small and lightweight, and that could be set to continuously snap pictures every few seconds. From the literature, it appeared the Gopro Hero3 was just the thing we needed.

We purchased the camera, and integrated it into our flight package. The pictures that the camera took were simply stunning, and it worked flawlessly. Battery life was sufficient to provide pictures from start to finish. In addition, it worked properly, even though ambient temperatures were around 50 degrees below zero (F).

I am delighted with the camera, and I believe that it is the ultimate camera for High Altitude Ballooning.

In the customer picture section above, you can see the picture that this camera took from the edge of space of the earth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and better that I thought., January 6, 2014
This review is from: GoPro HERO3: White Edition (Electronics)
I have seen these cameras for a long time, but not purchased one. However, after seeing some of the videos possible with this camera I purchased the Hero 3: White edition with the new housing.

After using this for some weeks, I can say I love this camera and the possibilities.

1.: What's in the box?: You receive the camera with the waterproof housing, plus an instruction booklet and a quick start guide. In addition, you receive a micro-USB cable, plus some mounts and assorted 'thingies.'

2. Aesthetic?: Well, who really cares how this looks since the point is to capture your desired personal aesthetics! But, compared to some of the other cameras I have seen, this is a small package, and is cleverly designed.

3. Use?: The point of the camera is to get it working. The waterproof casing has been redesigned from the previous model. It does seem very well-done and is supposedly able to survive to 130 feet. I have not tested it to any depth with the camera inside. However, I have taken the housing and placed it under water without a problem. (I will update this when I get the chance for some waterproof filming).

The camera itself has basically three buttons. One for the power/mode, one for the camera to start taking video or pictures (at the top) and a side button which powers wireless. The wireless function works in conjunction with the App, which I used with an Iphone. The app is fantastic! You can control the camera remotely and change the desired function (video, burst, lapse and single pictures, plus whatever function suite the users purposes). The best thing is the ability to see a preview (except in certain modes like a time-lapse) and the ability to see the pictures and video on the app. Fantastic.

The pictures with the edition I purchased are good, not great, given the 5 MP capability and the close-in build for pictures (I didn't but this to take long-range pictures). However, the video in HD (and this should be changes to 1080 as the default is a bit less) is absolutely gorgeous. Stunning is the word. The sound is also great, even with the waterproof housing on. I could still hear myself, others and the sounds of the activity clearly.

The wireless function relies on setting up an internal network between your mobile device and the camera, though I did not find this difficult at all. The only time I had difficulty getting the camera connection was during some very cold weather, and once the camera was warm this went away. The battery lasts about 2 hours with consistent use, which is pretty good, although I could nurse the camera by turning things on and off when the opportunity present itself.

At first, I did not like having to use a micro-SD card, but this is actually okay with an adapter for actual use and allows makes the camera smaller than the previous model.

Overall, so far, I am very pleased with the camera and what it allows me to accomplish without too much difficulty. I suggest that a buyer purchase the grabbag of extra mounts and the lens caps as well. Great item. Hopefully I do not encounter some of the difficulty that others have had with the camera. Except for the above, this has not happened!

1. GoPro Grab Bag of Mounts

2. GoPro Protective Lens

3. GoPro Headstrap Mount + Quick Clip

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I expected, great functionality, April 8, 2014
This review is from: GoPro HERO3: White Edition (Electronics)
I have a buddy who has an older Hero2 and the latest Hero3+ Black Edition. After talking to him and looking at a bunch of his videos from each, I decided on the Hero3 White Edition based on what features I wanted. To me there was no question about the quality or reliability, these things are great for years. I wanted the ability to get HD 1080p vids at 30fps, but didn't have a reason to get the 60fps or the higher-res formats available in the Hero3+ Black. Those really are great features if you need them, the video quality is amazing, but wasn't necessary for me personally. One thing I learned about the White edition that i got is it has the ability to link to my iPhone (and other phones I'm sure but check the specs) and review videos or watch a live feed from the camera with only a few second delay, via a wifi connection using the GoPro app. I can also use the phone as a remote control for starting and stopping recording too, which for me makes having a separate remote unnecessary. Mine came with both the watertight enclosure and the skeleton back if you want clearer sound and don't need the protection. I wish GoPro included a little bit of memory with the package, you can't record without it. Separately I bought a 32GB Ultra Micro SDHC card, gives me more recording capacity than I need, many hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased on a whim, August 4, 2014
B. Huff (Northeast, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GoPro HERO3: White Edition (Electronics)
Impulse buy...now I will never go without one. Works perfectly. I guess the newer ones already have the firmware updated because mine had no paper saying to update it first, like I saw on some video reviews. The video is surprisingly steady when mounted to my motorcycle for track day sessions. On the street, only the worst bumps upset the footage. I was worried about getting just the "white" version. I couldn't be happier. FYI, get the GoPro App from google play for your smartphone, it makes the whole thing that much better. You can position your GoPro to frame exactly what you want to film with total ease. It's the perfect remote. I don't even use the menu on the camera, I just use my phone. You can aim the camera, view in real time, change resolution, watch, delete or share clips. Just about everything your GoPro can do, you can control from your phone. Now I have mounts on all of my motorcycles, mountain bike, car, helmets, everwhere. Drives my wife crazy :-) Too many clips of my nine year old to count.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, October 14, 2014
This review is from: GoPro HERO3: White Edition (Electronics)
My 24 year old great-grandchild is doing an experiment in college and asked me to buy one of these and wear it on my baseball hat where ever I go. Well, I was happy to be asked and happy to do it. Now grandma thinks it looks stupid and it always telling me to take it off, especially in church. But I tell her that I am 85 and will wear what I want where I want.

Next I'm going to find the nearest nude beach that should give my grandson something to look at.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Camera, but Needs Accessories, July 9, 2014
This review is from: GoPro HERO3: White Edition (Electronics)
Cool concept, with lots of good features, including time lapse and still pictures, and wi-fi to stream your shots onto an iphone, but it needs accessories to be completely useful. I bought a number of mounts on Ebay, running $5-10 each, and a frame which allows the camera to be mounted without a plexiglass case. This makes for better sound. Get this online for about $10. Don't get it at Wal-Mart where it's $40! One add-on I still need is the viewer bacpac, which lets you see what you're shooting real time. It's about $75 online and really should be part of the camera.
Oh yes, you also need a mini SD card. I got a 32 GB Series 10 for $20 online. Don't get the full size SD. It won't fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars MY CAMERA DROWNED!, January 28, 2015
This review is from: GoPro HERO3: White Edition (Electronics)
Pro Tip - Do not carry this into the ocean without some sort of strap or flotation case.

As a side note - if anyone in the Virginia Beach area finds a Go Pro and looks through the videos to find a man in an unreasonably short pair of swim trunks, please get in touch with me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wifi drains battery at night., March 29, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars A photographer's perspective, December 1, 2014
Debra (Rochester, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Length:: 6:19 Mins

There's a lot to love about this camera - it's super tiny, packs a lot of video into a small amount of space, and is reasonably high quality. I loved that I could keep it in the pocket of my swim bottoms and not have to worry about it being stollen or getting wet on our family vacation (as opposed to my $2000 camera I'm hesitant to bring in a water park).

I was a little disappointed in the sound while it's in waterproof housing and also with the image quality (as a photographer).

The low light capabilities are definitely lacking, which has a lot to do with the sensor size and optics. I took some pictures with it and they were severely noisy, blurry and generally awful. The video was much better.

I also did not understand that it doesn't have any kind of screen to view what you're capturing whatsoever - that has to be purchased separately (for another $80). While it does have an ultrawide lens and it's relatively easy to get what you want in the video, it's also easy to miss. A few videos ended up being of my legs or someone's stomach and such. Once I was turning the camera off and on when I thought I was turning it on and then off, for example.

I attached a video I took on our family vacation so you can get a sense of the image quality. There's one picture included too, which was actually one of the better ones (eek!).

Overall, I do really, really like it, I just wish it was better in lower light and came with an LCD screen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basically one of the more boring lives for an action sports camera, September 18, 2014
This review is from: GoPro HERO3: White Edition (Electronics)
Luck of the draw here I'm sure, but I've purchased two of these recently and put them in their hard case, in vibration damped IO-Port mounts that were hard mounted on the roll cage in the cabin of our two race cars. They were transported to the track inside a special foam-encapsulated Pelican-style case. Both were run for two 8 hour days of racing. Basically one of the more boring lives for an action sports camera.

The first records audio that is about 2 seconds offset to the actual video. I can fix this post processing, but I shouldn't have to
The second had its microphone break about 10 minutes into my stint.

I will update this when GoPro provides some resolution here, but for a bulletproof action sports camera, it seems like GoPro needs to work a little on their QC.

Other than that I have a third, older GoPro White that has been absolutely reliable and satisfying during my ownership. It is one of the main reasons I decided to purchase two more.

GoPro HERO3: White Edition