GoPro Chest Mount Harness for HERO Cameras
Style Name: Chest MountChange
Price:$35.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 26, 2010
Review updated 2011 Aug 10:

Vs. Helmet mount for mtn biking:

Pros:
- Better PoV perspective which captures more movement of your arms and your gear in action
- Better ground detail
- Better clearance from branches

Cons:
- Can't easily aim it behind you while on the bike and looking back at friends riding a section you just rode
- More wind noise, due to it capturing the sound of wind deflecting off your chest

Footage from my GoPro on my helmet mount wasn't very spectacular. It seemed a bit slower than in real life and made everything look flat, from making obstacles look insignificant to making pitches look level. Moving the camera to the chest mount gave my footage better ground detail to help with depth perception and since it captured my position, arm movement, and gear's movement, it gave a sense of the technique I was using to handle the steep pitches. The ground and foliage seemed to zoom by faster too, which seemed to give a better sense of speed. It made my PoV footage seem a lot more interesting to watch. I still have a helmet mount for certain situations, but this is now my preferred location/way to mount/wear a camera on my body.

Both are kind of finicky to aim. I find the best way is to not use leg attachments if at all possible. The chest mount requires the camera to be tilted up, since your chest will be at an angle to the ground, else you will be filming your bikes top tube and your knees. I found that mounting the camera upside down with it tilting upwards just enough that it allows the camera to be coerced out if you open the rear hatch is just about perfect and is how I realign it each time if I happen to move the camera from mount to mount. I then use the UPd mode (available after a firmware upgrade for the regular HeroHD 1080) or just rotate it 180 in editing software (don't flip, as that reverses the left and right orientation). Using leg attachments will make it prone to shaky video and risk being jarred loose out of position (kills the flow looking down and seeing you need to fix the aim).

The GoPro tends to have rattling/clacking sounds which can be minimized by padding the clip interface with some tape to tighten it up and maybe padding the case with tape to dull the sound of dirt bouncing off the case.

If I were to ride solo (time trial style) or behind a better rider on a generally non-stop fast and flowy ride, I'd definitely opt for the chest mount. If I were to ride with buddies who were slower, I'd opt for a helmet mount, just so I could just pullover my bike, put a foot down, and turn my head and film them attempting a section I just rode. If the view was great and I'd want to get some riding by footage of scenery off to the side, I'd use a helmet mount too. If I wanted to ride stylish, I'd just opt for a non PoV view or give the camera to someone else who would act as a chaser.

IMO, this is one of the big reasons to get the GoPro over other PoV cams. Get it, use it, and learn to love it.
review image
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2010
Style Name: Chest MountVerified Purchase
I recently purchased an GoPro HD helmet-cam and this mount has made my skiing video's look stable as compared to using the helmet or head band mount that's included in the package. I guess its skiing style but I tend to move my head around more often then my chest. My chest is typically looking downhill in the direction of the fall line making for a stable platform keeping my viewers from getting sick. This is an accessory item that you should consider purchasing if you like making skiing or biking video's. I'm a big guy (6ft 225lbs)so I was concerned about this thing fitting me but to my pleasure I found that the straps are adjustable, stretch & a buckle next to the camera mount makes for quick removal. Also, it's easy to turn the camera on and start a video shoot with the camera being so close to your chest. I highly recommend using one of these if you want stable looking video's. I give it a thumbs up!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 28, 2013
Style Name: Chest MountVerified Purchase
This item is not the official GoPro chest mount as pictured. This is a similar, simple black mount. Once I inserted the frame into the mount it got stuck and I could not get it out. Very disappointed in the false advertising and the struggle to remove the frame.
Update: I received an email from the seller (Buyology) with a bribe. They are offering me a $20 Amazon gift card if I remove this negative feedback and replace it with positive feedback. What kind of people do they think their customers are? The negative feedback stays, and I will never be purchasing from this seller again.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 7, 2012
Style Name: Chest MountVerified Purchase
*note that for all of the following, I had adjusted the chest harness to position the GoPro camera as high as possible on my chest/as close to my chin as possible*

I bought the chest harness specifically for a trip to Kauai and it worked out great! I used this on an ATV tour and it was very stable. My fiancée was the one that wore it during the ATV tour as she was riding as the passenger on my right side while I drove (we had a Rhino). If I wore it the view would've been obscured by the steering wheel, but was perfect on her side. If we had a traditional ATV with her sitting behind me, I would've been fine wearing it. The setting was R3, 720P, 60 frames.

The tour guide was nice enough to give a helmet adhesive attachment for the required safety helmets, but I wasn't so keen on trusting my GoPro with the adhesive attachment on a dusty helmet, while going high speed on rough terrain. The video was very stable and secure on the chest harness.

We also took a catamaran trip around the coastline. Worked out great, especially when it left both hands free to hold on to the boat during choppy parts of the ride.

I also used the chest harness during a 'doorless' helicopter tour of the island....something I highly recommend if you decide on a helicopter tour! Just like for the ATV ride, I adjusted the camera position high on my chest, but also pulled it more to my right side (or whichever side you happen to be seated on) where there was no door. Perfect hands-free, stable video! I would occasionally adjust the angle of the camera with a tilt up or down depending upon whether I wanted to record the landscape ahead of the helicopter or below us as we could see straight down with the doors off. Great to be able to have your hands free to to take stills/video with a regular camera (with neck strap), or to hold on to your honey, or grab onto an "OS" handle if flying at over 100 mph at high elevations with no doors is not in your comfort zone. :) I thought about using the headstrap attachment, but the doorless heli tour had strict policies against hats or headgear. The headstrap attachment might be better on the traditional heli tours with doors on.

Overall, great during the ATV tour, no-door heli tour, boat tours, hiking, etc. wanted to try it out for use during snorkeling but didn't have the chance. The wrist-strap attachment didn't make much sense to me if one is swimming. If others have used it when swimming, snorkeling, diving, I'd love to hear about it!

*other GoPro notes* During the helicopter tour I used the skeleton housing despite the >100mph speeds, but also had an XSories silicone skin over it (great for additional case protection especially when you want to use during airsoft or paintball and give the internal mic a chance to record audio. The skin also got lots of attention from the excursion people thinking I had a new type of GoPro). When we touched down, the owner asked me about it and asked if I used the skeleton or waterproof housing underneath. When I told him I was using the skeleton one, he said that was good as people using the waterproof housing would get condensation on theirs. The temperature did drop a lot up in the air, adding that to the rain or mist encountered during our flight. So either use a skeleton housing or the UW housing with the anti-fog inserts or some type of desiccant that fits in the housing.
on February 7, 2010
Style Name: Chest MountVerified Purchase
This is a great mount for any activity where you are facing forward. It is not so great for sideways facing activities (aka snowboarding, skateboarding). It is very comfortable and well made. It does what it should.
on April 18, 2014
Style Name: Chest MountVerified Purchase
When I decided to purchase a gopro, I went all-in. I bought the Hero3+ Black edition along with the following GoPro branded accessories:

LCD BackPac
Chesty Mount (the subject of this Review)
Head Strap & Quick Release
Wifi Remote Control Mounting Kit
Replacement Lens Pack
Protective Lens and Covers Pack
An Extra Rechargable Battery
A Pack of AntiFog Inserts
Tripod Mounting Kit

Generally speaking, I like the camera, but I won't detract from this review by getting into the details of what I like and I don't. Unfortunately, this chest mount kit is poor. Here's the problem: The release "platform" (where the mounts "click" into the chest strap) isn't the right size. What I mean is that it is VERY difficult to get the mounts to release at all! I actually sliced open my finger and ripped my fingernail from the side (I'm a guy, so I don't have long fingernails or anything). I thought it may have just been mine (that I ordered from Amazon), so I took a trip to my local Big Box retailer (with a blue and yellow sign) and checked out their inventory. I checked four different mounts, and they all had the same problem.

You may be thinking, can't you just detach the screw from the J-Hook mount? And that would work, sure, but depending on whether you have the LCD housing on, or depending on the activity (eg, cycling), you may want to flip the J-Hook upside down to get a better angle. If you can't get the mount out, you're not going to be able to adjust. Given the injury to my thumb, I wouldn't even attempt removing the mount. AVOID!!!
on July 28, 2013
Style Name: Chest MountVerified Purchase
I feel totally ripped off with this...the picture in the ad had the GoPro logo on the unit - the one I received DID NOT and the clip area is too tight for the camera mount. Pi$$ed off - won't be buying from this seller again.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 13, 2014
Style Name: Chest MountVerified Purchase
I was leary of buying this for awhile because several reviewers claimed it was not an actual Go Pro accessory, but I finally went ahead and ordered. I know it depends on the seller whether or not you get an actual Go Pro item, so just be aware of what you're doing, check the seller, and maybe even ask before ordering if you're concerned. Mine was a legitimate harness with the Go Pro name on it.
on September 3, 2013
Style Name: Wrist Mount
So I was in Cocoa Beach, Florida and wanted to get some shots while body boarding, and for that this worked. It does come with many back doors including one that will hold an orange floatation device in case camera comes free from wrist strap. I have to say that this is subject to a lot of wear and tear, with the salt water and the sand, plus the force of these things that end up against the housing. For this I think a better choice is to get a kayak or surf board rack. Regardless, this should be washed over and over with warm soapy water, and rinsed and dried before trying to access the camera inside. The product I bought was from Best Buy in Orlando, not Amazon, and came with no information, and was difficult to open and free all the different pieces.

I was hoping that the camera housing could be turned 90 degrees and point down my arm, so that while riding rides at the many theme parks would give me a good chance to capture the ride in whole, but this does not let you have it in any position other than how a watch sits on its band. Your arm has to be held up and video shot sideways. This was a big disappointment, considering the cost and how many hook and loop attachments to secure the camera on the wrist strap.

The only way to capture pictures through the parks are to mount this on an extension and hold it with your hand. That or use a helmet or head mount, and the parks frown on use of any video during the rides.

To sum it up, I would have returned this had I not had to tear apart the plastic that wrapped this up and the piece between all of the wrist mounts. really $40 that could been spent on better accessories. Love the camera, but their are better attachments, for most applications.
on June 25, 2011
Style Name: Chest MountVerified Purchase
Its cool for mountain biking and skiing. But since I snowboard, this chesty will be worthless for it, but I bought it for mountain biking. The harness provides cool view angle for videos, if you use the right setting, at least 960. Or put the camera upside down and flip the image. Otherwise you'll see too much of the handlebars, and your ugly knees (you'll realize that on the video) and not enough trail. But the chestmount can get pretty shaky going over rocky sections fast. Make sure its mounted on your sternum, not below, seems to make it less shaky. Also it barely adjusted small enough to fit me. I'm about 165, with a decent chest size, if any skinnier the camera would feel as attached to a bungee cord. Must be because the average American these days is more obese than "average". Although there isn't that many fat bikers out there. If it was cheaper, it would be worth it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations