5.0 out of 5 stars Slick setup, even if a little bulky.
The case for the 3D setup is much larger than those for a single camera, so make sure that you have enough space for where you want to use it. Setup and use is fairly easy, but if you want to use it upside down, make sure you change the "UP" setting for the right-side camera as that is the primary one.
Published on April 14, 2012 by C. Rivas

1.0 out of 5 stars Very buggy; causes cameras to behave erratically.
Published on March 12, 2012 by Peter Rodick

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Very buggy; causes cameras to behave erratically., March 12, 2012
I'm sure GoPro will eventually get this right, but for now, I'd recommend avoiding their 3D kit. We used this for a recent project and had two pairs of cameras running on two 3D rigs. I was nervous going in, because in testing, I found that the sync cables caused the cameras to behave erratically. Sometimes you couldn't cycle through shooting modes with the cable plugged in (say, to get to video mode or to adjust settings), and they would occasionally cause one of the cameras to freeze up entirely--the display would go completely blank and could not be reset without taking the battery out. Mind you, we were using four cameras (and had a fifth backup), and this happend somewhat frequently on both rigs. I originally assumed the problem was with one bad camera or SD card, but after cycling replacements in and out and still encountering the problem, it was obvious the sync cable was causing the issues.

Once recording, they seemed to operate without issue, but I'd say about every other time we turned the cameras on, we were unable to record without either unplugging and replugging the sync cable and/or resetting a camera by removing the battery.

Other minor irks about this product: I assume GoPro wasn't looking forward to the 3D applications of their product when they first designed their cameras (understandably), but the fact that just about all the inputs are inaccessible when using the 3D rig is vexing. We would have loved to use an external mic, but the mic input side of the cameras face each other in the rig, so they can't be used. And the inability to use accessories like a battery pack or LCD screen with the 3D rig is a necessary evil, I suppose.

3D quality isn't superb, you if you're expecting more for the price, you're dreaming. It's a fun gimmick, and hopefully GoPro irons out the handful of crippling issues it has. In short, wait for the next generation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, January 3, 2013
This review is from: GoPro Expansion Kit for HERO Cameras (Electronics)
SInce I had two Hero 2 camera and was interesting in 3D, this seemed like a great kit to try. Problem is that the syncing between the cameras is just not reliable. Both cameras have been updated to the same and the latest firmware. Both will initially start at the same time but pressing the shutter button stops one but not the other. It takes several more shutter presses to get them back on at the same time. But then the CineForm Studio software gets confused about what video goes with the other. So, you can take the first video only. Then download the cards, erase the images and start over. GoPro is no help in fixing this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slick setup, even if a little bulky., April 14, 2012
C. Rivas (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars happy, September 12, 2011
This review is from: GoPro Expansion Kit for HERO Cameras (Electronics)
i had 2 gopros already so... no brainer.
3D is a bit tricky and time consuming to edit.... looks really impressive.... this product gives you full 3d HD footage and as long as your into working with the clips on a clip to clip basis... you'll get good results. This product does what it says... gopros are a little temperamental with this contraption, but I find the whole thing works 97 percent of the time. 100 bucks for 3D. I'm happy with purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars GoPro quality- in 3D, August 12, 2013
This review is from: GoPro Expansion Kit for HERO Cameras (Electronics)
This was a no-brainer purchase for me: I shoot 3D on several other rigs, and the price of this is ridiculously low compared to a mirror-rig for other cameras, or even a side-by-side rig.

I feel like the widest setting on the GoPro Hero 1 and 2 is a little too wide for most 3D shots, but is really good if your subject is about 3' away.

REMINDER: THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH THE HERO 3!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but have problems, January 29, 2013
This review is from: GoPro Expansion Kit for HERO Cameras (Electronics)
Love the 3D videos this system shoots. Look great on a large 3D screen. However, I sometimes have problems getting both cameras to come on at the same time. It takes a little while to ensure both cameras are set up exactly the same before using the system. Wish there was a way to attach my extra batteries to the cameras, but you can't with the cable attached. The free computer program is easy to use. Took some work with the tech reps to get it to operate correctly with my system, but they continued to offer suggestions and help until we had it fixed. Good tech assist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than doing a manual 3D setup, November 18, 2011
This review is from: GoPro Expansion Kit for HERO Cameras (Electronics)
3D between 2 separate cameras is so much easier with this expansion kit!

Rather with a manual setup where you have to manually mount and align 2 cameras side by side and try to get them to record at the same time, the case and sync-cable does all of that work for you. Allowing you to shoot 3D videos with ease!

Though the spacing between the 2 cameras isn't exactly an inch apart as width apart as like standard 3D setups, the close proximity does has it's advantages with closeups.

Using this with a helmet or head strap make for an incredible Stereoscopic First-Person Point-of-View!

I do recommend this if you plan to Go-Pro in 3D!

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely buggy. Sync cable causes erratic camera behavior., March 12, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Old camea firmware is one to use, May 5, 2014
This review is from: GoPro Expansion Kit for HERO Cameras (Electronics)
I have been using this set up for about 1 1/2 years now and have been happy with it as a basic water insensitive 3D video camera.

As for all the comments about getting the two cameras to sync together ... well it is a HUGE problem if you are using the later firmware for the cameras. I just wanted to note that I installed the OLD firmware software on the cameras (spring 2012 vintage firmware I believe) and ALL the syncing problems disappeared. I have not had any problems with starting /stopping /syncing since then. You can check out on the internet about the firmware problem for the cameras, it is a well known issue, and find instructions for how to install the old firmware on your cameras (it is a PITA - but after about 6 tries I got it to take on one camera, then the second one took about 3 tries) and how to download it from GoPro (it is really hidden).

It would be nice if the new 3's were finally enabled for 3D, particularly the Black edition, since that would increase their functionality for me quite a bit. (looking forward to a full 4K 60p 3D system from GoPro!)

One bit of caution about video filming with these cameras: Since the field of view of the GoPros is so wide it is easy to end up with part of finger / hand /or something fixed such as a vehicle pillar etc. in the field of view of one camera but not in the field of view other camera. That destroys the 3D effect in addition to being extremely annoying, annoying to the extent of headache inducing if trying to watch that video in 3D playback mode..

This is a nice product from GoPro, which after you solve the start/stop/syncing problem does a nice job as a basic outdoors/underwater 3D camera system. It would be nice if the other accesses to the cameras weren't covered up when they are put into the 3D housing (particularly the audio imputs for external mikes), but alas it is what it is and where else can you obtain a 3D underwater video camera (or one that will be out in the rain) for such an inexpensive price?

OH ... unlike other consumer grade 3D systems these cameras ARE filming in a full 1080 30p for EACH SIDE of the video! (NOT 1/2 resolution - which is every other consumer grade 3D system I looked at). At the present most TV's (all but 4K TV's?) can not support that high of resolution, but it is there in the raw files for later re-editing once the video standards are set for utilizing that higher resolution (and there is consumer grade software out there to edit it)

I only gave this 4 stars because of the firmware problem issue with the cameras that MUST be addressed if the cameras are to properly sync up. Once that problem is addressed then I believe the camera 3D set up is worthy of a 5 star rating based upon what the system was designed to do, active sports photography from the perspective of the active user/participant, one who can NOT be looking through a viewfinder or adjusting the camera once it is turned on to record.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this!, August 10, 2013
Mick (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GoPro Expansion Kit for HERO Cameras (Electronics)
I bought this kit for my GoPros while I was on Kilimanjaro and hanging over the edge of Victoria Falls at Devil's Pool. The kit works excellent. Make sure you test it though before you use it. There is firmware you need to update on the gopros before this will work correctly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›