Goal!: Your 30-Day Game Plan for Business and Career Success
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$13.46+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 13, 2010
"GOAL! helped me develop a workable plan to tackle a really important goal that I had been wanting to do for years. That goal was something that meant a lot to me, but I couldn't figure out how to get started. GOAL! showed me how to create an action plan and then lots of motivational tools along the way that kept me working on the goal until I finished it. If you have a difficult goal that you have wanted to go after for a long time, I highly recommend this book. I had been thinking about my goal for 3 years and it feels good to have finally accomplished it. "
on November 16, 2010
I expected more from this book, especially since all 23 of the previous reviewers gave it 5 stars. It is a short book (about 150 pages). The second half of the book is a day by day "journal" for the reader to document his/her progress toward his/her goals. That doesn't leave a lot of room for the experts to share their knowledge. On top of that, there are many success stories that simply don't resonate with me. Thus, I got very little out of this book. However, there are many other books about goals that I have found useful. If you are interested in a book that is more substantial, take a look at Brian Tracy or Orna W. Drawas.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I purchased this book based on all the positive, glowing reviews and five star ratings on Amazon. When I got this book and started reading it, I have to say that, although the book can be a bit too general, the information is not bad and can work. Some of the things I liked includes finding what's holding you back, finding accountability partners (surprisingly, alot of goal setting books don't mention this), finding out what availiable resources you have (most people focus on what they DON'T have) and finding out what you need to achieve your goal. I do want to say that, although the author does focus on business and career goals, these techniques can translate to other goals as well.

OK, so with all that being said, I do have to say this: alot of the information here is not new. I know that in the realm of self-help and personal development, especially when it comes to the topic of goal-setting, this type of criticism is common. Regardless, in the case of this book, it's appropriate (and I have to say this simply because with all the positive reviews, I somehow expected more).

In the beginning of this book, the author(s) walk you through alot of questions you should be considering when starting a goal. Many of these questions are things you can probably figure out if you think about it (or if you're an avid reader of goal setting books). However, if per chance you can't come up with these questions, then this book may be of use to you.

The author(s) also give you examples of how to do a business plan and their example of a goal setting worksheet. Variations of this goal-setting worksheet can be found in other self-help books.

The stories are kinda interesting, even though some of these stories (such as Thomas Edison) I've heard before, simply from reading other books.

Now, as far at the "30 day goal track" (the second part of this book), I have to say I was expecting more. I somehow thought this would be some type of "timeline" with actual action steps, such as "do this" on day 1 and "do this" on day 2, etc.... Instead, the author mentions the same thing for each day: affirmations, visualizations, experiences, etc... and then for each day, he either gives a story of someone who has accomplished their goal, or the author(s) give you a hypothetical situation and, using what you just read in part one, they will ask you to propose a hypothetical plan or give a hypothetical answer.

Actually, the part of giving hypothetical answers and proposing a hypothetical plan isn't bad, in that it can help sharpen your problem solving skills.

Lastly (and I hate to say this, knowing it's just my opinion), I do have to say the book was kinda boring to read. I know this may not reflect the opinions of everyone else who gave it five stars. But for me at least, I learn best when the material is at least somewhat entertaining. This book actually reminds me alot like some of the ghostwritten ebooks you find on Clickbank or other online bookstores.
on October 21, 2010
The book's cover says "30-day game plan for success". I didn't think I would accomplish my goal in 30 days but I knew the book was probably a great primer. It turned out to be the complete solution for reaching my goal. It's simple, straightforward and geared toward taking action. My issue has been procrastinating and I jumped to that section. What I read in that part sustained me every time I had the desire to quit. The book has a built-in accountability piece and who doesn't need that? I followed the book's 30 day goal track, which was eerily in step with what I needed at specific points in time. I've read many goal books but this one stands out in its directness, simplicity and it's motivational components that make your goal seem doable. Having completed a goal that was in my head for many years, I am now on to something even more challenging. What I learned in this book gives me the confidence that I can tackle future goals. I highly recommend it.
on October 19, 2010
After several years of reading motivational books that got me all fired up but didn't tell me what to actually "do" towards reaching my important goal, I bought "GOAL! Your 30 Day Game Plan for Business and Career Success". It's a short book, about 140 pages in all, but what it had to say made a big difference in me achieving a long-standing goal.

What sets this book apart from other motivational books is how practical in nature it is. Yes, there is certainly a philosophical component to it, but that is backed up with a lot of practical guidance that resonated with me. And the book is very interactive in nature. For example, right from the start, I was required to write down my goal in very specific terms and then to write my motivations for why this goal was important to me. For the first time in many years of thinking about my goal, I was compelled to examine my motivations around why the goal was important to me and what negative thoughts I had that had been preventing me from achieving my goal. When I replaced these negative thoughts with correspondingly positive thoughts, I had mentally "cleared the way" to see my goal as achievable.

GOAL! did a good job of helping me overcome obstacles like procrastination and hitting plateaus during the course of working toward my goal. There were a number of great stories about people like Richard Branson and Anderson Cooper who overcame huge hurdles to success.

There was also a section of the book devoted to 30 days of exercises that helped keep me on track and moving towards my goal. The exercises only took about 5-10 minutes to do, but they served a useful purpose in that they had me thinking about my goal from the standpoint of already having achieved it. I realized that this approach helped me minimize the hurdles I had to overcome along the way to being successful.

The last thing worth mentioning about GOAL! is that the principles are broad enough that they can be applied to just about any goal that you might want to tackle. I highly recommend it to anyone with a tough goal to achieve. It really works!
on October 20, 2010
Goal is divided into two parts. Part I is about defining your goal, creating a roadmap for success and putting you in the right mindset. There is a chapter called "Maintain Momentum" which is dedicated to helping you overcome barriers to success. This resonated very strongly with me. It discusses "fear of failure", "procrastination" "discouragement" even "plateaus" and provides practical advice on how to overcome them all. The book has a "maintain momentum list" that details the main reasons why people give up on their goal. The list gives you a few sentences on each barrier to help you overcome them. For example, under "Procrastination" it has quick remedies for overcoming lack of desire, dealing with hard projects, not feeling in the mood, overcoming fatigue, overcoming distractions, etc. I carried this list with me and I can tell you firsthand that it worked. Part II of GOAL is the "30 Day Goal Track". You start this part when you are already working towards your goal. You do one a day - it's either a written exercise or an inspirational story. Once I got past day 21 I knew I was home free. The 30 day goal track is fun and I never knew what to expect - which I liked. The key is to get you in the habit of working towards your goal. The book is a quick read and is packed with everything you need to keep you going until you reach your goal.
Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
Another great book is "Getting to Yes". This book is a classic and the most effective way to learn how to negotiate. I used it in meetings and in my personal life. We all negotiate and this books teaches you how to nail it.
on May 11, 2009
GOAL! YOUR 30-DAY GAME PLAN FOR BUSINESS AND CAREER SUCCESS is a fine, basic introduction for any collection interested in setting and accomplishing career goals. Two experienced executive recruiters and coaches offer a structured program keyed to taking action, packing exercises with motivational insights in a guide perfect for both business and general-interest collections.
on October 19, 2010
I have read a lot of goal oriented books the past few years, none of which was successful in getting me to actually achieve my goal. My frustration level was pretty high until a friend told me about "GOAL! Your 30 Day Game Plan for Business and Career Success". This book is a short read that proved to be the key to my reaching a long-time goal, one that I had repeatedly started, but just couldn't complete.

The beauty of GOAL is that it got me both revved up psychologically and on a practical level. I realize what had been lacking in most of the other motivational books I had been reading was the key to getting started working towards the goal and then maintaining that enthusiasm until the goal was achieved. In the past, I would reach a certain point in working towards my goal and then hit a psychological "wall" or plateau. It was at this point that I would lose enthusiasm for my goal and stop all my efforts. This left me feeling very frustrated.

GOAL! got me working on my goal from day one and I found that by developing a concrete plan of action with due dates and milestones I stayed on track with my efforts. Another very helpful element to GOAL was the advice around overcoming obstacles to success, things like hitting plateaus, discouragement, and losing momentum. These were all "deal breakers" for me in the past, but with help from the book, I was able to overcome these and continue on the path to reaching my goal.

I also found that an exercise in the beginning of the book served an important purpose. This was geared towards helping me understand why I wanted this goal and to differentiate that "want" goal from a "should" goal. Acknowledging the motivations around my goal was a critical step towards being successful. There is also something called a "30 Day Goal Track", which is a series for short exercise that I did to help keep me motivated. Even though my goal took longer than 30 days to achieve, the book helped me develop the right habits that would serve me long after I had finished the book.

If you are struggling with a goal, as I was, I would highly recommend this book. GOAL! is a short read, has lots of great motivational stories and all the ingredients to help you achieve an important goal. I am already using it to achieve a second goal which I had been putting off for years.
on October 26, 2010
I believe that GOAL! is a very effective and powerful book and it has helped me tremendously in my efforts to achieve an important goal. I have spent the bulk of my career in a Fortune 100 company and been fortunate enough to have been involved with all the best practices seminars and training techniques available.

GOAL! was incredibly helpful in directing my energies and focus against my goal. My particular goal was something that had been eluding me for a number of years and I was starting to think that it would never be accomplished. This practical book got me working towards my goal right away, which energized me to continue in the process. The fact that I had to write down my goal in very specific terms forced me to really think about what I was trying to achieve and why it was important to me. The book also gave me help overcoming some of the things that typically had prevented me from achieving my goal in the past, things like procrastination and hitting a plateau.

I also liked the fact that there were a number of motivational exercises, called the 30 Day Goal Track, which made me think about my goal from the standpoint of already having achieved it.
All in all, this book really worked in getting me to my goal and I recommend it for others who are in the same situation. I am definitely going to use it to go after my next big goal.
on October 23, 2010
It's a small book but it packs a punch! I really liked this book because it contained everything I needed to accomplish my goal: a process for helping me identify my goal, a goal planning worksheet, great stories to keep me going and daily checklists to make sure I made progress. The book is layed out so I always knew what to do next. I reached a goal I had tried many times before. Thank you, GOAL!