From the Inside Flap
We are taught from a young age that in order to achieve great success we must set and achieve our goals. However, in doing so, we become focused on where we are going rather than enjoying where we are right now. We sacrifice today in the hope that a better future will emerge, only to discover that achievement rarely leads to true joy. Goal-Free Living presents an alternative philosophythat we can have an extraordinary life now, all without goals and detailed plans. By living for each moment, it's possible to have a successful life and follow your passions at the same time.
This amazing book shares the personal discovery of consultant Stephen Shapiro, who achieved professional success only to find that personal satisfaction remained elusive. He wanted to escape the treadmill of goal-chasing and find a way to make his life truly rewarding. So over 90 days, he drove 12,000 miles and interviewed 150 extraordinary people from all walks of life to learn how they lived fulfilling, happy lives. Along the way, he discovered the eight secrets to living life free from the constant pressure of goals:
- Use a compass, not a maphave a sense of direction, and then let yourself wander and try new things on the way to fulfilling your aspirations
- Trust that you are never lostevery seemingly wrong turn is an opportunity to learn and experience new things
- Remember that opportunity knocks often, but sometimes softlywhile blindly pursuing our goals, we often miss unexpected and wonderful possibilities
- Want what you havemeasure your life by your own yardstick and appreciate who you are, what you do, and what you have . . . now
- Seek out adventuretreat your life like the one-time-only journey it is and revel in new and different experiences
- Become a people magnetconstantly seek, build, and nurture relationships with new people so that you always have the support and camaraderie of others
- Embrace your limitstransform your inadequacies and boundaries into unique qualities you can use to your advantage
- Remain detachedfocus on the present, act with a commitment to the future, and avoid worrying about how things will turn out
Goal-Free Living offers practical guidance on putting these valuable lessons to work in your own life every day. Take them to heart and you'll be free of the tyranny of goalsand experience a life truly worth living.
From the Back Cover
Praise for Goal Free Living
Setting goals may be fine. But letting your goals take control of your life can be devastating. Goal-Free Living shows you how to explore paths in your life you never knew existed and discover a more exciting, successful, and rewarding life—today!
"If you have only one goal this year, let it be this: Read Goal-Free Living!"
—Daniel H. Pink author, A Whole New Mind and Free Agent Nation
"Stephen Shapiro's approach will help readers achieve the best kind of happenstance: taking a stance to make things happen."
—Heath Row Contributing Editor and Community Director, Fast Company magazine
"I have a sense that reading this book may turn out to be one of the most important things I've done in a long time."
—Doug Busch Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Digital Health Group, Intel Corporation
"This is an engaging, creative approach to discovering inner wisdom and personal fulfillment."
—Michael J. Gelb author, How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci and Discover Your Genius
"Reading Goal-Free Living is like jettisoning a hundred-pound pack. Suddenly, you're racing much faster and enjoying the breeze."
—Alan Weiss, PhD author, Million Dollar Consulting