4.0 out of 5 stars Nice batteries, cycling shows 2400mAH
I've used these a few cycles now and tested them with the Lacrosse BC-700 Battery Charger (great charger by the way). Mine cycle with about 2400mAH. I've used these in the Guide10Plus, flashlights, a GPS and portable 2-way radios (Kenwood and Yaesu Ham radios). The batteries have worked well in each of these systems.

I'll keep them in rotation with my...
Published on April 17, 2012 by D. Taylor

I've also had a couple already fail on me, after only about a half year. Go with the Sanyo Eneloop or Amazon Basics low self-discharge models instead.
Published 3 months ago by Mazdafun

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice batteries, cycling shows 2400mAH, April 17, 2012
This review is from: Goal Zero 11403 AA Rechargeable Batteries (Pack of 4) (Automotive)

I'll keep them in rotation with my Eneloop batteries and see how they go. The Eneloops hold slightly less (2100mAH) but have a very long shelf life and an impressive number of duty cycles. With a few months of use on these batteries they are currently holding up well. If they last more than a couple years they will be worth it, time will tell but so far so good.

Weight and measured performance:
4 GoalZero AAA batteries weight 1.8 oz with 825 mAH measured by cycling
4 Goal Zero AA batteries weigh 4.1 oz with 2400 mAH measured by cycling
For comparison purposes:
4 Eneloop AAA batteries weigh 1.7 oz with 800 mAH measured by cycling
4 Eneloop AA batteries weigh 3.7 oz with 2100 mAH measured by cycling
(The results are the same for both 1st and 2nd gen Eneloop batteries)

4 Stars, I like them so far, in a couple years if they are holding strong it'll be 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good batteries, but not necessarily the best value, August 15, 2014
I have tested a set of those Goal Zero 11403 AA Rechargeable Batteries, which came as part of my Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus / Nomad 7 Solar Recharging Kit. Here are my findings:
- Right out of the box, the average remaining charge was 1927mAh according to my La Crosse BC1000 Battery Charger/Analyzer.
- After just one Recharge/Discharge cycle, the average capacity jumped to 2360mAh
- After two more cycles, the average capacity settled at 2368mAh.

The above show that those Goal Zero batteries are indeed low-self-discharge (LSD, or 'precharged') type, with measured average capacity even higher than advertised. This capacity is also higher than that of most LSD cells, which are typically rated 2000-2100mAh for AA.

On the other hand, currently you can find good quality LSD cells with higher capacity at lower cost. Consider, for examples:
- AmazonBasics High-Capacity Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries
- Duracell 'Ion Core' AA Rechargeable Batteries

I have tested both brands and found their measured average capacity to be around 2550mAh. Furthermore, based on their electrical and mechanical similarities, I am convinced that they are both rebranded Sanyo eneloop XX batteries. So I have no doubts about their long-term reliability.

As of this writing, the AmazonBasics high-capacity AA cells are available at 1/3 lower cost compared to either Goal Zero or Duracell counterparts. That makes the AmazonBasics batteries a much better value.

3.0 out of 5 stars High capacity, but they don't hold a charge as long as Eneloop ones., May 11, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, July 24, 2014
I have 12 of these beauties that I purchased several (3 +/-) years ago, I used them for a while then for whatever reason started using the non rechargeable lithium batteries and sort of forgot about them. Recently a friend and I were talking flashlights, batteries and chargers, and remembering that I re-discovered my batteries during a recent move, prompted me to take them out and put them in my charger and do a refresh/analyze. All 12 were above their advertised capacity even after being shelved for that period of time, unlike another brand I cycled that were junk and wouldn't even come to 10% of their advertised capacity. At $15-$17 per 4, I think this is a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good!, March 31, 2014
So far, so good. They hold a charge just like a regular battery. I haven't put them on the charger as yet, but that's the point I guess. I'll up date this review if I start seeing charge hold times dropping after being charged a few times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great batteries so far., March 24, 2014
Have been using them for camping and having been working out good so far. will update with more info if there is problems.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great solar panels, Horrible batterys!!!, October 12, 2013
The battery's worked great for 3 months then stopped holding a charge altogether.. now i have 8 AA paper weights I cant return. I love goal zeros build quality of their products but so far nothing but bad luck with their battery's to keep you spending $$$

5.0 out of 5 stars Great batteries with superb charging speed and power, March 31, 2013
Winkb "Winkb" (Someplace in the Midwest!) - See all my reviews
if you hike, camp, wander or anything like that and you don;t have a Goal Zero solar charging kit attached to your day pack with a set of these batteries for your power well ....... get some! No kidding. These batteries charge up quickly. hold a charge, and have enough power to charge a couple of smartphones twice on a single charge! Good shelf like too.

4.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, March 1, 2013
so far the batteries are performing well. The light is bright and seems to be holding pretty good. we'll see when recharging comes around

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but poor quality, May 13, 2014
I use the squiggle writer in my kindergarten class as a reward activity. The kids LOVE these things but the pens don't last. Even with proper care I am on my third pen in two years. The writer was not dropped and the children are instructed to turn the pen off before laying it down and yet, the gyro in the top freezes up after a while even with a fresh battery. Many years (20?) ago I had a squiggle writer that I used with my special ed students and it lasted much longer but it was also made differently. The body of the pen was thicker plastic that was opaque. My opinion is, the squiggle writer is great fun but poorly made.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›