Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on DOTD

on June 26, 2011
Save your cardboard packing for the light assembly inside the light-a-life. The led assembly comes lose easily and could cause damage during transport. Other than this issue no complaints.

Light output is good - agree that it is equal to a 45 watt bulb. I put two inside a seven person tent and felt that I was overlighting by camping standards. The included carabiner clips make the system versitile when hanging. The velcro cord strap is handy for strapping together extra cord. It impressed all of my camping partners. The lights chain together easily.

Once the led light assembly issue is resolved this will be a five star product.
review image
on December 20, 2011
In the picture it does not show a cigarette adapter but it is included in the package in a separate bag. This makes it really useful in a car, boat or a portable power pack that is not from Goal Zero.

The light is bright but not irritating because of the shade. The LEDs are arrayed on a "bulb" that actually screws into the lamp like a regular light bulb. It has a nice hook and velcro to store the cable. It has a solid feel about it and I think this will be perfect for camping or power outages.
on September 9, 2011
i purchased 2 of these to light up a 10 ft x 10 ft wood shed and so far they have done better than all the previous lights i have purchased. when i ordered them i expected them to be about the same size as goal0's estrella lights. they are in fact a lot bigger so if space is a concern get the estrella light. with them powered by my solar array i get about 16 hours of light on a single charge. the one problem i have is that if you jiggle the cords a little the light can go out which can be a problem since the lights hang by their power cord. the price on amazon is the best you can get. much better than even goal0's site.
on May 11, 2011
This light is so bright! Bright white LED's. I daisy-chained 3, inside a screen tent camping. My "chandelier" was the talk of the trip. Approx. 130 watts, (for the 3). Pair it with the Scout 150, for hook-up. Great alternative from using lanterns that use batteries. Imagine the possibilities...power outages, camping, emergencies, car or boat, trailer, cabin, inside/outside...where ever! GREAT PRODUCT!
on August 19, 2011
My wife would always fumble around at night in the tent looking for stuff. I bought this light with the goal zero 150 battery. She said it would be a waste of money. First trip out I waited until it was dark and when she was looking for the kids night cloths I turned on the light. She apologized for doubtin me. The led bulb assembly puts out an impressive amount of light. I hang it from the center of the tent. I use a couple of small clips to attach the cord to the tent wall. The light is lightweight so it does not put stress on your poles or hurt if you bump into it at night. I keep the battery near my cot so I can unplug and plug it back in without having to get up. Excellent product.
on January 4, 2013
I tried one of these as a campsite light. Amazon price is good and delivery free (Amazon Prime).
My setup is a 12V-266WHr rechargeable battery pack (not Goal Zero) with a standard auto 12v socket and one of these lights. It provided all the light we needed for an entire week (about 6 hours a night) on a single charge of the battery pack. Rained on and off for three days and had no problems with the light.
Entire setup fits into a nylon carry bag that is smaller than a lantern with a propane bottle. No buying propane, no hissing lantern, no torn mantles, no glass globe to worry about, just turn it on and off with a switch.
It would be 5 stars if the brightness could be adjusted like a lantern. It's pretty bright and can be a bit much late at night.
on February 11, 2013
Decided to change from the usual gas lantern to led lights for my camping nights. LaL led lamp are great and the build quality is exceptional. The packaging, cabling and acrylics are first class. They work well and despite the feeling that i would have needed more than two to provide decent light to the camp dining table, the light each of lamps emits is wide and confortable. One is more than enough. Two would be an excess.
Brought them on a safari hunting trip in Kenya recently and all my friends ended up ordering them.
Power consuption is nil and no further discussion is in my opinion is required. (3Watts/hour)
What I really like in them is the soft light they provide which is much warmer and eye pleasing than any other usual LED bright light. Perhaps because the LED light is transmitted through the well selected shading of the lamp assembly acrylic.
Would recommend this product hand down.
on June 25, 2013
I love Goal Zero products because are pretty user-friendly and easy. I love this particular light because it works for camping and for power outages as I have the Goal Zero Escape 150 so it's ready any time. The only down side is the cost. I'd like to have 2-3 of them but $40 each is a little steep. I did find them cheaper at Best Buy's website - as of today was listed for $34.99 with free shipping. I know it's not a huge savings, but $5 each with free shipping adds up if your budget is tight.
on September 8, 2010
I've been into camping and emergency preparedness for years. This is the best all around camping and emergency light that I have found. It is very versatile, you can plug it into your cigarette lighter in your car and with the 12 foot included cord, light up your car engine just like a shop drop light. It works great with any battery pack that has a 12 volt outlet. I even daisy chained 4 of these together to light up a large living room. It really only took one to have plenty of light in the room but 4 or more really lights it up. It is also ideal in a tent, it has a caribeaner clip to hang from the ceiling.

The best thing about this light is the amount of electricity it pulls. 3 Watts 12 volt! That is nothing, this light runs forever from a regular size battery pack like the Goal0 or a xantrex or Duracell. I even hooked it up to an old Brunton Solarport 4.4, put the Solarport in the bedroom window (there was a lot of sun) and had full power from the light. I did the math and running this light for 4 hours a night from one of my xantrex 600s will give me about a months worth of light.

The picture of the light on the internet does not do it justice. This light is well built and the on/off switch is extremely sturdy. The 12 male plug snaps in tight with the cord and can be disconnected to plug into another Light-a-Life. They say up to 12 of these can be daisy chained together. This is cool since you would be only using one cigarette lighter plug. With 12 together, you would be drawing 36 watts and having about 540 watts of equivalent light. That is a lot of light.

This light is also rated for 20,000 hours of use. The bulb is not hot when using it. The bulb easily unscrews out of the light if you need to change it for any reason.

It almost makes me want a blackout in my neighborhood. :)
on December 3, 2011
I just purchased light-a-life to use aboard my sailboat. I hung it from the main sail & plugged it in at the helm. I was pleasantly surprise by how well it lit the cockpit. It is superior to the prior light which had a single incandecent bulb. I am happy with the purchase.

I would make one observation about the product. It would be nice to have an option for red light to maintain night vision. A three way switch could allow selection between red or white light.