Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 7, 2004
This is a great book. I have read it to my 4th and 5th grade students and to my own children and they have all loved it. It has just the right mix of "scary" and funny to keep the reader's (or listener's!) interest. This book is not one of Bruce Coville's best known stories, but once you read it, it WILL be one of your favorites!
on January 30, 2007
I first purchased this book when I was seven years old at a school book fair because I was raised by my father on The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings and the cover, title and description looked cool.

I remember vividly being in second grade and being absolutely tantalized by the day or two it took for me to finish it. It was just a wonderful tale of charming adventure that immediately struck the right chord with me. I'm 21 years old now and I still find myself taking time every year or so to pick up the very copy of the book I purchased when I was 7 to re-aquaint myself with the characters and the adventure and the feeling of being so completely absorbed with a story that can't really be captured beyond grammar school levels that the rest of the world doesn't matter.

This book has stood the test of time for me. It served as a fantastical escape when I was a wee lad and can still provide that exact same charm now as I finish college that I don't believe I'll ever be able to find anywhere else.

Stellar book that will do nothing but encourage young people to read; it's something that's really needed today.
I am a 5th grade teacher, and I enjoy reading this book to my class every year. The students really seem to enjoy the book, especially when I "do the voices". I have just about read the cover off my copy (literally). Of course, I have had some help. Every year after I read it to the class, at least three of the students ask to read it themselves. (A definite plus!)
"Goblins" has all the elements of fantasy, so it works in nicely when discussing that type of book. Bruce Coville really did an outstanding job with this one. I really take a great deal of delight in "torturing" the students by reading only a chapter or two a day. Mr. Coville did an awesome job building suspense at the end of each chapter. It makes for GREAT cliffhangers!
If you teach upper elementary, or if you have children aged 8-12 that you read to, and you don't own this book, then SHAME ON YOU! This one is a must. I have yet to have a class that didn't enjoy this book (even when I taught 6th grade). However, if you don't "do the voices" you are missing half the fun.
I have heard a *rumor* that Bruce Coville is working on a prequel to _Goblins in the Castle_. One can only hope.
Mike Frazier
on May 30, 2000
Goblins in the Castle is truly one of the best works of fiction I have ever read in my life. I have read it many times over and I enjoy it every time. Nothing about it gets old to me. I have introduced the book to many of my friends and they all have borrowed and read it with sheer delight, all giving the same review of, "Goblins in the Castle rules! " This book is non-stop adventure as William, an 11 year old boy, unknowingly lets the goblin's souls out of the North Tower on Halloween night. The goblins are now loose and William has to find a way to get them back in to the tower. He has help from friends along the way such as Igor, Fauna, and Herky. Throughout the book he hears different opinions of many people and in the end, has to make a decision over what to do about the situation. Really, this book is a million times better than my description of it. I beg of you, if you only read one book in your life, read "Goblins in the Castle". It stretches the imagination, and brings out the adventure in us all.
on December 30, 2003
Goblins In the Castle

Would you want to be the person who locks up evil goblins in the
Seventh Tower? Bruce Coville explains a story about a boy named William, the
protagonist, and all of his adventures with his new friends.
William is normally as quiet as a mouse in his home at Toad in a Cage
Castle. However, when William meets a strange creature named Igor, he
can't stop asking questions. Igor is very skittish and he likes to hit people with
his bear .Although his clothes are rags, he has a very strange and
important job.
Almost every night William hears noises coming from the Seventh
Tower. The baron [the proprietor of the castle] told William to not go near
the seventh tower. However, this night the noises are calling his name!
Somehow he is drawn to the Seventh Tower and opens the door. Angry
goblins are in the Seventh Tower and now they're unleashing horror on the land!
In the end William and Igor team up with a clever girl and a very
skittish, good goblin. Will the four of them be able to defeat the goblins? I
encourage you to read Goblins in the Castle by Bruce Coville.
on February 3, 2003
I was in junior high in the early 90s when this book was for sale the school book fair. It was one of the first fantasy books I ever read, and it really made me fall in love with the genre. It's the only book I read more than 5-10 times. I still have it, though it's a bit below my reading level now. I still love the rich imagination Bruce Coville has when he wrote this book. Parents, get this for your kids. They really will love it.
on October 30, 2001
I love this story. I read it to my third graders every year in October. The students adore Igor and are mesmerized by the adventure William is sent on by Granny Pinchbottom. A true book about friendship and determination.
on June 20, 2013
Goblins in the Castle

This is a terrific book by Bruce Coville and illustrated by Katherine Coville.

Here are some of the characters:
William: The boy hero (and the narrator). By the way, near the end, William can be invisible!
Igor: He is more than 600 years old. And he loves his teddy bear. "Hold bear. Bear good sleeping." (Obviously, Igor doesn't use verbs!) [I think the first teddy bear was named for Teddy Roosevelt, but I could be wrong.]
Herky: This goblin is maybe 2 feet long, and he is (and this is important) terrific at estimating inches. (I really liked Herky!)
Baron: "The Baron owned so many books he had had to knock out the walls between seven rooms to hold them all!" [I'll bet the Covilles have even more.]
And here are some others: Karl (who tended the library), Fauna (a great girl), Hulda (housekeeper, but can't hear very well), Mervyn (the rat), the King (of course), and some other folks, too.

At the end, William says...
"I didn't say anything. Not because I was keeping a secret. Just because sometimes words aren't necessary.
Sometimes being with friends is all you need."

This is a wonderful, wonderful book!!!

Ira
on January 14, 2015
Goblins in the Castle is a fiction story about a boy who lives in a castle and at night hears strange noises that keep him awake. The boy, William, is desperate to find out more about the noises. He was always told not to go to the North Tower. The North Tower had been locked for many years and he did not know what was in it. One night he was in bed and he heard the noises ever so clearly say his name...I won't write anymore about the story but this is my favorite part, when William came upon a land called Nilbog. P.S. Nilbog backward is Goblin! If you decide to read the story you might notice it has some magic in it. I love the book because you never know what will happen next. At the end of each chapter. I highly suggest you read the book. I think it's great! - review written by a student in my third grade class.
on September 21, 2011
My daughter's 3rd grade teacher is reading this book to the class. Whenever they left off on a chapter, she CANNOT wait until the next time she reads it again. It is one of the top most exciting book she's ever read. We're ordering one for ourselves at home here too!