Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 6, 2013
What is it about Rick Ross that keeps him around? Five years ago I would have never brought a Rick Ross album. But each album he impresses me a little bit more. The first album I brought was "Deeper Than Rap", and aside from a couple bangers, there was no substance, like eating a Twinkie for dinner and my stomach was hurting by time I got to track seven. Now with "God Forgives, I Don't", Rozay has morphed into something we haven't seen from him ever. He still flashing money talking about his riches, but now we find out a little about where he came from. We find out who Rick Ross was before the fame. With each album he has improved and shown the growth needed to survive in this fast hip hop world. He has the type of charisma we haven't seen in since B.I.G. Matter of fact when I heard "God Forgives, I Don't", I instantly thought of "Life After Death". That album showed a much softer B.I.G but also keep his street edge. To some that might seem like a stretch. But listen to both albums front to back and you will see what I mean.

I like the direction Rick Ross has taken with this album. This is his most personal album to date. Even the vibe on his signature "Maybach Music IV" is softer than usual with Ne-Yo on the hook. His "Maybach Music" series is usually the highlights of his albums. It still plays like a movie but this one is solid not epic. The melodic "Sixteen" is the realest I ever seen Rick Ross. Over a smooth J.U.S.T.I.C.E League beat, Ross lays out his feelings and closes out with a strong 32 from Mr. Andre Benjamin. The song might be over 8 minutes long but the groove is fantastic. He continues the flow on the Wale and Drake assisted "Diced Pineapples" which uses a very smooth piano loop to set the mood. "Ten Jesus Pieces" is a completely reflective track that reads like a prayer to every gangsta on the street. Just when you think Rick Ross has gone completely soft, he comes back hard with the bangers "Hold Me Back" & "911". Even filler songs like "Amsterdam" & "So Sophisticated" work extremely well. The number one gem on this album has to be the Dr. Dre and Jay-Z assisted "Three Kings". Jake One produces a beat that glues all three MC's together like peanut butter. This song is guaranteed to satisfy any hip hop hunger. The only songs I have a real problem with is "Touch N' You" with Usher. No matter how much I tried, I'm just not feeling it. "Presidential" is not one of my favorites either (Maybe because it's a Pharell song).

Rick Ross has improved in every way since the first time I heard him. This is a true example of growth as an artist. To compare it in sports terms, think of Lebron before he had a jumpshot and look at him now. Rozay has reached a higher level of music making. Each album he gets better. I didn't think he could top "Teflon Don" but he has. He knows how to give his fans exactly what they want without sounding exactly the same. Like Lebron, if Rick Ross continues on the path he is headed he won't be the greatest of all time, but he will be remembered as one of the greats. A-
on August 2, 2012
Rick Ross has become one of the most popular MC's over his career thus far; creating the Maybach Music 'empire' and putting out a numerous amount of Hip/Hop 'bangers.' Ross' fifth album has some bright spots and some generic spots, which blends in well with current rap as a whole (unfortunately).

The most hyped cut off the "God Forgives, I Don't" album is "3 Kings", featuring Dr. Dre and Jay-Z. This track had insurmountable hype, considering Ross had two Hip/Hop legends spitting verses by his side. With that being said, "3 Kings" didn't live up to the hype. Dr. Dre spits a verse that isn't anything out of the ordinary, simply because it was ghost-written; the same thing goes with HOV on an effort level. Jay-Z is notorious as being one of the greats and putting out classics, but his verse comes off as nothing more than a recycled freestyle with an arrogant kick. Ross & Jay-Z's bars are both decent, while Dre disappoints. Call me critical, but I was expecting more out of these three MC's for a reason.

Leaving off on that note, the other notable singles off Ross' album are "So Sophisticated" featuring Meek Mill; "Touch'n You" featuring Usher; lastly, "Hold Me Back." The beat on "So Sophisticated" does justice to Meek's 'smash-mouth', 'scream first' style, but that is the best thing about it. Ross outshines the hyped young MC with his verse's but it's just another Maybach 'banger'. "Touch'n You" is on the more 'sleek' side, complemented by Usher. The songs bars and vocals resemble Usher's & Ross' cut on "Looking 4 Myself", so it's a bit too similar to that. The song is something you could kick back to and enjoy; but while enjoyable, it's also a try-hard attempt at a single. Lastly, "Hold Me Back" is a single that has got a lot of attention lately because of the BET Video controversy. The song has a hard-knock beat but Ross' vocals are quite annoying.

The singles don't do "God Forgives, I Don't" justice, but a few tracks stand as 'diamonds in the rough' on the album. "Diced Pineapples" is a cut I really enjoyed, not to mention it features Wale and Drake. The laid back style and the smooth feel of the song is what's so appealing. Ross' spits two solid verses that relate well with the subject and his personal life as well (Pineapple is the man's favorite fruit). Wale does very well outside of his comfort zone, basically reciting poetry at the beginning; while Drake's hook comes off well showing his strong R&B vocal ability. "Sixteen" featuring the great, yet underrated MC Andre 3000 is one of my other favorites on the album. The song is true to it's name, as neither MC can stop at sixteen bars and end up spitting for a combined eight minutes. Ross' shows his strong suits and abilities here, but the spotlight rightfully goes to 'three stacks' for his solid lyrics and wordplay. Tracks like "Ashamed" and "Maybach Music IV" also stand out in my mind, with Ross' referencing Jerry Sandusky in the Maybach track featuring Ne-Yo.

Most tracks just blend in on the album, but I think the good outweighs the bad in most aspects. This is a somewhat solid album, but it doesn't exactly top his previous efforts. If you want to cop the deluxe version, it features two tracks off Ross' "Rich Forever" mixtape earlier this year, "Triple Beam Dreams" featuring Nas and "Rich Forever" featuring John Legend. If you pass on this album, God will surely forgive you (excuse the pun), but if you are a fan of Ross it would be a decent addition to whatever collection you have.

Recommended Tracks:
4.) Ashamed
6.) Sixteen (feat. Andre 3000)
14.) Diced Pineapples (feat. Wale, Drake)
on August 2, 2013
I never thought I would see the day when I would give a Rick Ross album this high of a score. All of his albums have been decent at best. What separates this album is that Rick Ross has stepped his lyrical game up a bit. Not by much, but you can see there is some improvement. Better song concepts as well as good guest appearances, and you have a pretty good album. Tracks like "Shameless" and "Maybach Music IV" are pretty good (although my favorite out of the Maybach Music Series is the second one with Lil Wayne, Kanye, and T-Pain). Although Ross tries to hang with Andre 3000, "Sixteen" only irate Outkast fans of why Andre doesn't have a solo album. "Hold Me Back" is probably one of the best Ross solo to be released in a while. Towards the end of the album, he makes a few female friendly songs with the R&B singer hooks. The best one would have to be "Diced Pineapples" featuring Wale and Drake.

Still there are a few missteps on the album. Obviously with the guest appearances on "3 Kings" could have came off a little better, but Dr. Dre uses his verse to advertise his Beats By Dre Headphones, while Jay-Z's freestyle verse is like whatever. Also with the female friendly tracks placed at the end bunched together could have been thought out better when it comes to placement. Purchasing the Deluxe Version of this album is pretty much irrelevant. Both songs are good (Nas destroys "Triple Beam Dreams") but they were on the Rich Forever mixtape which you can download for free.

Overall this album shows that Rick Ross stepped it up. Although he is not quite there in the lyrical department, if you are expecting the average topics that Ross raps about (hustlin', drugs, getting rich, etc), there is a little more here this time around. Production carries a good portion of the album as well. Overall it is definitely worth listening to. Peace.

Lyrics: B+
Production: B+
Guest Appearances: B
Musical Vibes: A+

Top 5 Songs:
1. Sixteen (featuring Andre 3000)
2. Diced Pineapples (featuring Drake and Wale)
3. Hold Me Back
4. Amsterdam
5. Maybach Music IV
on February 24, 2013
that it was a good album I think that in looking at all rick ross albums and comparing them this would be the one I think didnt have enough hits on it but ironically when I take what like the most off of this album and what I like from Rich forever I have in my posession the most incredible body of work from him ever..
on November 29, 2012
I feel like Rick Ross lost his lustre or I just got accustomed to his style, which is definitely both possible. This release from Rick Ross sounds similar to his previous but it just feels like it is missing some bang. The production is strong, featuring some of the bigger names in the industry, but it is missing blatant hard hitting bangers...and that is what I've come to expect from Rick Ross. The beats sound a bit smoother but lack the sound to get me amped. Rick Ross performs with his usual swagger but the content remains the same and his persona seems less interesting on this one. Don't get me wrong, the album is technically sound and cohesive but just don't expect any new or remotely different.
on May 13, 2013
My favorite rapper period.. This guy never fails on beats and delievery. MMG is the most consistent label out and this guy boss man grunt is the start of a great cd everytime.. you can hate on his personal life all you want but what rapper doesnt have a questionable life.
on September 1, 2012
One of the highest complements that you can pay to a LP, especially in this digital age, is to say that you can listen to the album from start to finish without skipping any tracks. No filler. That is Maybach Music IV. Easily Rozay's best album ever. It is easily worthy of a deluxe edition(something that you can't say about A LOT of deluxe albums). Look, you know what it is with Rick, he raps about how rich he is. And that's it. You're either a fan of that or not. You're not buying a Rick Ross album because you want to hear conscious rap. It is the production that takes the spotlight here. The production is lush, operatic, cinematic even. It is paired well with Ross' baritone ganster flow. Ross' acquits himself well lyrically. He only raps about one thing, but no one has done it as well, and with as much swag, since early Jay-Z or B.I.G.
on March 21, 2013
This album is nothing like any of the mixtapes he has put out over the years. There is still some elements of trap music on here, but it is balanced by other tracks that have a "grown folks" appeal to it. There are some great collaborations on this album and the productions are just awesome! Maybach Music iV is by far one the most 'musical' beats I've ever heard done on a rap album. I believe Rick Ross will be in the game a very long time and have a similar music career to Jay-Z if he can continue to market well.
on August 17, 2012
For the most part I like this album. It definitely doesn't disappoint, but to me, it's not the best of his albums. I still really love "Teflon Don". Granted he's got some bangers on here, i still love the old one's like "B.M.F." and "Aston Martin Music".

Tracks I recommend of this album:

Diced Pineapples - I don't like Drake at all, but he's awesome on this song
Ten Jesus Pieces
Maybach Music IV - out of all the maybach music tracks he's done, #4 is the best so far.
So Sophisticated - i love his flow on this
3 Kings - Dre, when is Detox coming out?
Pirates - i like this track but it reminds me alot of "600 Benz" in the way Ross flows on it and the beats/melody too..

I was hoping he'd include "Stay Schemin" on it like he included "Triple Beam Dreams" and "Rich Forever" from the "Rich Forever" mixtape, but "Stay Schemin" is not on this album, and I really love that song.
on August 16, 2012
Ross has an amazing ear for production. Sonically, this may be the best album I have heard this year outside of Live from the Underground. I am not really a fan of songs for the ladies...so Touching You and the track with Omarion were not my cup of tea. Hold Me Back and 911 are cool tracks, but they do not mesh well with the flow of the album. Ashamed and Ten Jesus Pieces are my favorite tracks. This album is definitely worth the money.