Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 6, 2011
After reading the Amazon description for "God Gave Us You" and a few of the glowing reviews, we decided to purchase this book with the intent that it would be read to a child who was adopted. We thought it would be perfect focusing not on the physical pregnancy/birth aspect of things, but instead on the fact that children are given to their parents by God. This was our mistake, as the book mainly focuses on the pregnancy and subsequent delivery for the little bear.

While the book is a cute story and a nice read for small children to answer the question of "where did I come from?" physically, it would be totally inappropriate for an adoptive parent to read it to his or her child. We will eventually end up giving the book to another friend who does have biological children as it is still a nice story, just not at all what we expected. 4 stars is for the story itself, but the book description would get 1 star.
22 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2005
I just read this book to my 4-year-old son. I should have previewed it before I read it aloud. About half way through, I started to cry. This is such a touching story. It explains, in loving words and pictures, how little cub came to be and why her parents wouldn't trade her for the world. I definitely suggest this for anyone with small children. One word of advice, read it to yourself BEFORE you read it to your child aloud. Maybe you won't cry through the second half of the book as I did.
on June 3, 2002
My husband and I love to read this book to our daughter who is 6 months old (we have read it to her since she was in my belly) It is such a sweet story about a mommy bear and a baby girl bear. The story tells the baby what a blessing she is to her mommy and daddy and how God had given her to them.
on February 26, 2002
This book is a beautiful way of explaining where baby comes from without giving an adult answer. The simple message that your child was a gift from God sums it up, and in a sweet story. The illustrations are soothing, and the story is a good bedtime read.
on December 20, 2011
I appear to be in the minority here, but I truly did not like this book. The text comes across as awkward and contrived. For instance, the little polar bear at one point says something about being "borned." It sounds as if an adult is trying to make it sound like a child is speaking but it's not realistic and came across as forced to me rather than the way a mother and child would actually speak to each other. The mother keeps answering "because God gave us you," even when that line doesn't answer the question. It is hard to explain, but "contrived" is the best word I can come up with.

I also didn't care for the way the polar bears rushed to the hospital (an igloo) pulled by a sleigh of huskies - why would animals be pulled by other animals, and why would bears who hang out outside in the snow and swim in the ocean on previous pages give birth in a hospital and then not nurse their baby, as polar bears would actually do? It's odd to me whenever animals are depicted bottle-feeding their babies.

The book has a positive message of babies coming from God, which I agree with wholeheartedly, but the writing style just didn't make it an appealing story to me.
22 comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2002
This is the favorite of all of the children's books I have read to my baby so far!!! Every time I read it, I get a little teary eyed. The story line and illustrations are equally beautiful! It will be one of the signature Baby Shower gifts I will be giving to all of my new pregnant friends!
on September 22, 2000
This beautiful story is very appropriate for my three year old daughter's questions about where she came from. This book chronicles a the birth of a baby bear from when her parents pray for a baby bear all the way through birth without all of the medical details. It simply shows the Mommy bear's tummy growing and the parents preparing for their new arrival. It tastefully omits the actual parts of conception and delivery. It leaves these details for parental discretion. My daughter loved it!
on May 15, 2001
FROM GOD... of course!!! This book is just perfect... it is a very cute story of how a baby gets from heaven to the family... a small child (polar bear) is asking her mama where she came from and the reply is "God gave us you"... this goes from conception to birth without all the messy details that little ones just won't get, and You probably aren't ready to give... but it will apease the child for quite some time... also, the illustrations are just adorable...
on December 4, 2001
We gave this book to our 8 year old son as a First Communion gift. The book is the moving story about a young bear asking his mom if his parents love him. The story continues as mama bear explains to the young cub how God have given them the miracle of his birth and walks the cub throught the pregnancy, the waiting over the birth of the baby, the first night at home, and so on. Our 8 year old son loves to cuddle at night and listen to the story of a mom and dad who are so thankful to God for the gift of their cub. Beautifully illustrated and written, this book is a gift to share between parents and their children.
This book, with its sweet illustrations, shows a polar bear couple tucking their little cub into bed at night as the mother polar bear answers the question that normally strikes fear into the hearts of parents: "Mommy, where did I come from?" Instead of getting into film strips, diagrams or panic attacks, the mother polar bear explains that their child was a gift from God as a result of prayer. The parents prayed for a child and God gave them this little cub. The mother does mention that the baby grew in her mother's tummy, but there is no segue into sex ed. A very sweet story for any age child and a book parents should love reading to and with their children.