5.0 out of 5 stars Prayer Starters for Dealing with the Stuff of Life
Published on May 29, 2005 by Carol Blank

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
i didn't like it
Published 2 months ago by Brian

5.0 out of 5 stars Prayer Starters for Dealing with the Stuff of Life, May 29, 2005
This review is from: God, I Have Issues: 50 Ways to Pray No Matter How You Feel (Paperback)
"50 Ways" is Fr. Thibodeaux's response to a need of his own that is certain to resonate with others. Over time he has wished in vain for a resource that would help him incorporate his current mood or a common situation into his conversations with God, who seems to be inviting him to do so. Thus, he decided to write that resource himself. The table of contents lists a series of situations and emotions. The body of the book contains a reflection on each topic, always introduced by a scripture passage and followed by a list of passages for further reading, prayer pointers, related entries, and "words to take with you." The value-added segment comes in the last few pages, which contain an index of themes and extensive listing of alternative emotions and situations in an "If you're feeling"/"Look up" format.

Thibodeaux's book, which he describes as a reference manual, includes a generous introduction with suggestions for praying with "God I Have Issues," praying with scripture, and praying with emotions.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for the psychologically healthy, September 19, 2006
As the Introduction warns, this book is not intended to be read from cover to cover. However, as spiritual director and prayer guide, I find the topics relevant and the author's sharing interesting. I actually did read cover to cover. I feel this is a wonderful book for spiritual directors who journey with others in prayer. The questions formulated by the author help to take the discussion of spiritual issues with a directee further. Besides, the author has put together a list of Scripture passages and this is one part of the research done for me (in terms of using Scripture for prayer and reflection).

For personal prayer and reflection, this book could serve somewhat as a spiritual guide, albeit there is the absence of contact with another God-listening person. However, barring the availability of a spiritual director who is able to guide your inner movements, the writing here provides something to reflect on.

Each chapter in themselves are not long and each is easy reading. Topics range from addiction to being too busy, having doubts, being grateful, feeling guilty, hurt, jealous, judgmental, lonely, parenting and singlehood issues to being weary and worried. At the end of each chapter are "Prayer Pointers" that take the reflection one step further. Sure, there are other such books with Scripture and reflection but I find God, I have Issues very down-to-earth and relevant.

For example, in the chapter, "God, I'm in awe of your creation", it begins with St. Francis of Assisi's "Praise be you, my Lord, with your creatures, especially Sir Brother Sun..." Then the author shares one of his journal entries in the year January 2000. He shares how he was running on a cold morning and later became awestruck at his body's ability to regulate its own temperature even in freezing weather. Scripture passages for reflection and prayer pointers follow. "Related Entries" afterwards provide a referral to other topics which might be more relevant to describe your feelings. Then the "Words to Take with You" section provides quotes to take the journey further.

The Introduction also warns that this book is for the psychologically healthy. For people with serious emotional or pscyhological problems, such as depression, the author suggests that professional help be sought.

Ignatian Contemplation calls for an awareness of feelings that arises out of contemplation and meditation and for those people who lack the ability to name the feelings they have, Thibodeaux's "God, I have Issues" could be the starter to get in touch with those feelings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, April 12, 2006
Father Thibs is a teacher at my school. He is an amazing man who is truely devoted to God. This book reflects that devotion and shows people how to pray. There is no right or wrong way, only variations. This is a great book and you should read it if you need help praying or want to try to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, October 9, 2007
I been using this book for the last 2 years, specialy during my adoration hour. It is a greate tool for deep prayers.
It has been a greate gift for my children's teachers and my own friends.
I highly recomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Odd title but very much worth buying this book, February 10, 2014
The author walks you through many aspects of life that we all will encounter at sometime in our lives. He helps you with stories that make all these situations very human and normal to all of us. I use the book often as a reference. Typically Jesuit in wisdom and style. I recommend for anyone that is alive and walking through the struggles and challenges of every day living.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will use forever, March 2, 2014
The title may be misleading. Don't let it scare you off. We deal with real life issues everyday, including great joy. The book is a guide to opening your conversation with God, regardless of your feelings or where you spiritually today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits the bill, October 22, 2012
I needed this book years ago. The author was recommended to me. He hits almost every issue with reasons, prayer and reflections.
This book is a home run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cookbook for the Soul!, October 25, 2012
This is a great read for anyone that is grappling with their feelings and want God's help to sort things out. The author presents 2 or 3 pages on typical emothional feelings and how we may look to God for support through pertinent Bible passages. Think of this as a Cookbook for the Soul!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book continues to be a source of inspiration and ..., July 6, 2014
This book continues to be a source of inspiration and comfort. I find myself turning to it in prayer again and again and find new insight each time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for anyone who wants a quick easy way to pray AND make it meaningful!, December 26, 2013
Very easy to use and read. Can be used on so many different moods and times you are both UP and DOWN.

God, I Have Issues: 50 Ways to Pray No Matter How You Feel
God, I Have Issues: 50 Ways to Pray No Matter How You Feel by Mark E. Thibodeaux (Paperback - March 17, 2005)
$14.99 $12.29