5.0 out of 5 stars Great Advent and Christmas Devotional
GOD IS IN THE MANGER: REFLECTIONS ON ADVENT AND CHRISTMAS by DIETRICH BONHOEFFER

I realize this is January but I wanted to let you know about a book I read during Advent and Christmas. I have been looking for a good Advent book for a long time and I have found it.

This little book is divided into 5 parts:
* Advent Week One--Waiting
*...
Published on January 24, 2011 by Jagette

1.0 out of 5 stars Very slim on Bonhoeffer
Published 20 months ago by Timothy Sams

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Advent and Christmas Devotional, January 24, 2011
This review is from: God Is in the Manger: Reflections on Advent and Christmas (Paperback)

This little book is divided into 5 parts:
* Advent Week One--Waiting
* Advent Week Two-- Mystery
* Advent Week Three--Redemption
* Advent Week Four-- Incarnation
* The Twelve Days of Christmas and Epiphany

Reading devotional literature by Dietrich Bonhoeffer can be challenging. But God is in the Manger opens up the gospel and will take you to the heart of the Christmas story.

Most of these devotions are taken from writings during the time Bonhoeffer was being held in a Nazi prison cell. Also included with each day's reading are short excerpt from Bonhoeffer's letters and passages from his Christmas sermons.

I plan to read this again before Advent 2011. We need to be reminded about the real reason for Christmas--Christ.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for your library to read and reference over and over., December 18, 2011
This is not your average Christmas devotional. This book does not bounce through the events leading up to and following the birth of Jesus like I expected from a book subtitled "Reflections on advent and Christmas".

For one, the writing is heavy, deep, originally written in the 1940's in German by someone who stood up against Hitler's control of Germany at the time. Some of the insights in this book come from the writer's experience in prison, where he was hanged at 39 years of age, less than three weeks before Hitler committed suicide.

There are 40 devotionals altogether, 4 weeks preceding Christmas day and 12 days after. Each week has a theme, each day a short excerpt from a sermon, a snippet of a letter (like to his fiance), & related Scripture. I found the layout very easy to use.

The content is remarkable. The first week is about "Waiting", for example. "For the greatest, most profound, tenderest things in the world, we must wait. It happens not here in a storm but according to the divine laws of sprouting, growing, and becoming."

Other themes are Mystery, Redemption & Incarnation. Altogether these devotionals expand the expectation and celebration of the Advent and Christmas.

Did I agree with everything Bonhoeffer said? No, actually. But even where I disagreed, I was provoked to thought about why and how. His opinions are strong coming from his hard experience, but the small, devotional doses are just right. It's not a book full of ideas to swallow hole, it's a book to enter with your brain turned on (as I say to my kids) to examine what the Bible says, what you believe, and a readiness to celebrate Jesus as never before.

My Rating: 4.5 - Good book for your library, to read & reference over and over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging and worth it..., December 24, 2011
This is a challenging devotional. Take the time to let the words sink in. You will find gratitude for your own situation in these readings regardless of what it might be. Bonhoeffer is a truly remarkable man. I wish that there were more like him in this world.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very slim on Bonhoeffer, December 5, 2012
This is offered as a book by Bonhoeffer but contains very little of his writing. It's a clever package using Bonhoeffer's name to sell a book. Decent Advent/Christmas reflections by an editor and it may be worth it for that. But each entry is 2 pages and a very small portion of that is Bonhoeffer (10 lines average?). It makes me sad to see such a great servant to be used this way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible read, April 2, 2012
I read this book and was amazed. The words from Bonhoeffer interspersed with the devotional words and Bible verses really showed me what a stark realty he faced during that time. It was a reminder that even in the darkest days hope can be found, and hope can be shared. Grace can be embodied even in a cell, with a death sentence over your head.

I don't want to spoil it anything of the read but I will say this: if you want more from your Christmas devotional time, get this. If you want more depth, more grace and more heart, read this book. If you desire to get past the sweetness of the season and wish to see how someone can find true peace and joy during the darkest days of their life, read this.

A very worthwhile read, and a great gift for those friends and family who truly have a desire to go deeper in their search for the Jesus of the season, for the Christ child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Companion to Advent, December 11, 2012
If you are looking to enrich your observing of the Advent Season, look no further. This collection of Bonhoeffer's writings inspires reflection upon the meaning of the birth of Christ and how we fit into that. It is a book that you can read with your family as you light the Advent Wreath Candles and carry out an important Christian tradition. This is a great book for getting back to the importance of Christmas in the midst of commercialization and consumerism.

1.0 out of 5 stars Discarded, January 5, 2014
L. A. Kahler (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Let me preface this review by saying I highly respect Dietrich Bonhoeffer and hold his writings in the highest regard. This book was produced and edited by another individual which drew from the experiences and writings of Mr. Bonhoeffer and family, among others, to provide the reader with inspirations during the season of Advent. About halfway through the book. there was a comment from an individual (I did not take note of his name I was so disappointed) which struck me as being atheistic, which I found totally inappropriate, and promptly discarded the book in the recycle bin.

5.0 out of 5 stars True meaning of Christmas, December 8, 2012
Wyoming Girl "clarob4" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a daily devotional for the 4 weeks of Advent leading up to Christmas. The Bonhoeffer materials come from writings he did while being held prisoner by the Nazis. Some are quotes from letters to his fiance Mary and his parents during advent others are writings from his journal. There are also quotes from Mary's letters to him. These are paired with other reflections, scripture selections and prayers. The combination makes a powerful look at the meaning of Christmas from the point of view of a person who is experiencing difficult times. The devotions include quotes from "The Ragamuffin Gospel" written by an Oregon author. If you are looking at an alternative to the superfical happy crap of the current approach to Christmas, this is a powerful alternative that will show you a new way to think about Christmas Joy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meditation, December 7, 2011
Found the book to be thought provoking but not acceptable for mass appeal to use for the daily devotion for the larger congregation. The "hopeful" needed for the Advent season seemed to be missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reflections to keep the focus, March 7, 2014
I really enjoyed these reflections in the weeks of Advent and on through Epiphany (the book includes that part as well). The theology is good and really made me stop and think, challenging me and/or filling me with joy. They aren't all by Bonhoeffer, which surprised me, but they are all good. Each week has a theme but each day stands alone just fine.
I actually listened to it on audiobook and found myself rewinding sometimes to make sure I got all the meat out of it rather than just letting it flow past my ears. I'm glad to have the paper book so I can hopefully underline and highlight and copy things into my journal next year.

God Is in the Manger: Reflections on Advent and Christmas
God Is in the Manger: Reflections on Advent and Christmas by Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Paperback - August 30, 2010)
$13.00 $11.16