Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on June 3, 2013
I ordered Dr. Stanley's book because of the title. I had just gone through a three-year long, very un-amicable divorce after a 20 year marriage and was trying to recover from much pain and doubt and confusion, because 20 years ago, I thought I married my God-centered, life partner. ( We were both very involved in the Christian Church, so this divorce felt like the rug had been pulled out from under.) I was skeptical of God and Dr.Stanley to say the least. I had only heard Dr. Stanley a few times on the radio, was not a fan per se, but was looking for ANYTHING that would help me make sense of things.

I can tell you this:

1) This is a short book of ten chapters, 146 pages; not highly theological and easy to read.
2) This book gave me strength to keep going.

I took it slow, carried it in my bag, read it while waiting for the kids. Sometimes I read it at night before bed because it was so soothing.

Some are really angry at God because of their divorce, and I can't say I blame them. As for me I felt just felt hurt, crushed, "what now?" kind of feelings. On page one, Dr. Stanley writes, "We can know the plans He has for us."

I was doubtful. Been there, done that. The author goes on to talk about what we can depend on from Christ. Ok...

In the following chapters, the compelling thing about this read is how the author answers the questions, the doubts, the "yeah, buts" I had and lays each one to rest with reassurance and a short Scripture passage. I had to sit with each "answer" for a while. I found if I was "argumentative" internally with the author, it didn't serve me any good. Instead, I decided to let go and open my heart to whatever Dr. Stanley had to say about the God I thought I knew. Sometimes my "argument" was answered later on in the book (or sometimes through a few small events in my daily life) and I began to understand a little better about God's Plan for me, for humanity. I began to feel some relief, got some sleep.

Things happen. Sometimes we have control over them, sometimes we don't. I still have a long way to go. I have blessings to work with, but I had to read this book to remember what they were. I was like the man who becomes blind via an unforeseen course of events. The man rails at God for making him blind -- how could this happen? But the man fails to "see" that God still loves and cares and has a plan. The man can now "hear" the birds, the rain, the voice of his child, the symphony with exquisite detail and accuracy. Was the man meant to hear these before? Yes. Would the man choose not to have lost his sight? Of course. But, given the circumstances, how would this man like to live out the rest of his days?

And how would I like to live out the rest of my days? Trusting in the God who made the Universe that all is well and all will be well, and believing that God has a plan for my life too. Thanks, Dr. Stanley.
on June 4, 2010
Dr. Charles Stanley is without a shadow of a doubt one of the greatest biblical theologians of our time. Although I had always been a distant admirer of Dr. Stanley and his teachings from my infrequent viewings of his telecast on TBN, I began fully listening to his teachings earlier this year. Having thoroughly enjoyed his audio messages and the soundness of the doctrines he espouses, I decided to buy some of his books, of which "God Has a Plan for Your Life" was the first I read.

I must say, this book is an absolute knockout. I am an appreciator of people who can think about the Word of God and develop points that are simple yet profound, and this book is replete with examples of that. I especially enjoyed Dr. Stanley's explanation of how God's will is defined and how God reveals his will to his children. You will be provoked to think deeply by reading this book, but not because it is packed with pointless explanations of Greek vocabulary from the second century.

Everything in this book has biblical documentation to support it, and I think this is representative of the fact that Dr. Stanley is an incredibly well-educated man, so he speaks and writes with a knowledge that can only come from years of devoted scholarship to the Word of God. Dr. Stanley is truly the walking fulfillment of 2 Timothy 2:15.

Unfortunately, when you read some other books from people who are preachers without the years of biblical study, you notice that it is either their theology is off, or they simply don't have enough scriptural knowledge to document how what they are writing directly relates to the scripture. Of course, God can use anybody to speak his word, but I prefer, and am much more comfortable with, being taught by someone who is a biblical scholar of the spiritual heft of Dr. Stanley.

If you think this book is just going to simplistically tell you to read the Word and pray in order to ascertain the will of God for your life, you're wrong. Although it does say that, it gives you so much more information and spiritual food for thought on the issue of God's will.

I am already hooked on the audio messages of Dr. Stanley the preacher; however, after reading this book, I am officially a fan of Dr. Stanley the writer. I'll begin on Dr. Stanley's New York Times Bestseller, Finding Peace, tomorrow.
11 comment|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2008
This book offers concrete opportunities to examine your life.
It answers life questions and offers ways in which the reader can connect with God's plan and purpose for one's life. It differs from the Purpose Driven Life yet gives much of the same information. I personally prefer the style of writing in this book over the former in forcing introspection and meditation on specific points.
on July 16, 2008
Charles Stanley doesn't write like a "preacher". He writes like someone who has been there and knows from firsthand experience. I have loved every book. He writes with such love and concern. He knows God intimately and teaches us how to have a deeper relationship with God, Our Father.
on February 6, 2010
Dr Stanley has written a great book for those of us that wonder "what is Gods' plan for my life". I highlighted the parts, for me and still go back and look at that text.
on April 2, 2009
This is another well written book by Dr. Stanley. Lots of good information here. Very inspiring. This will help you to see your life differently.
on October 13, 2009
This book is one of the greatest I have read. Dr. Stanley has such a gift for communicating the truths of God. If this book does not impact you you need to get on your knees.
on November 19, 2009
This book is a great tool to help with anyone's spiritual growth; from a new believer to a mature believer. I will definitely recommend it to friends and family.
on September 24, 2013
I have known of Charles Stanley for many years and have watched his services on TV several times. I have always been impressed with him. I have just started reading more due to a real trial in my life and have read several books. I purchased this book and was blown away at how it was just what I needed. The only reason its not a 5 star is because he doesn't use the KJV. If your hurting or are in a spiritual valley this book will be a blessing to you.
on October 2, 2014
This is a very encouraging book. Dr. Charles Stanley does a wonderful job conveying how God instructs us to understand and accept the will he has for our life. It really uplifts my soul to read a book written by a man who truly seeks our Lords for guidance. Dr. Charles Stanley made a very vital point in his book regarding how we have to individually seeking God directly through prayer and understanding his word to reveal the purpose he has set for your life.
Romans 12:2
" And be not conformed to this world: but ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."