God of War Chains of Olympus - Sony PSP
Platform for Display: Sony PSPChange
Price:$11.57 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 13, 2008
Platform for Display: Sony PSP
When I saw that I had a package yesterday, I opened it up...and then nerd glee ran through my hands to my arms and then to my heart. Kratos had arrived.

I ran to my shop (actually I walked as fast as a grandma around a shopping mall) to open this tantalizing package of war. Screw work!! Actually I cant do that because I'm in Iraq and I have to get things done to help protect the troops. But once I was done with all the work for the day I popped the game in the PSP and hit the power button.

When I began to play, I couldnt believe the graphics. The PSP is seriously a PS2 in your hands. The game is just beautiful. The levels are nicely done. They even have the camera effect where it pulls out very far just to show you how small you really are compared to your surroundings. Your chains graphical effects look really good and even better as you upgrade them. Even the graphics for little things look great...for instance...when you open a chest under water, the chest begins to release thousands of tiny bubbles while you struggle to open it. I just thought that was a nice little touch.

The gameplay is incredible. Kratos is extremely easy to control. I'm just amazed at how fluid he moves. Bashing baddies...lifting them in the air...grappling them back onto the ground..and then finishing them off is nothing but a few well pressed buttons mashes. Not hard at all. And I'm not talking about the button sequence fighting either. Speaking of those, there are some really good ones in this game.

The sound is sharp and pleasing. The musical score can really put you in a mood to kill every living thing around...but then make you want to stop and smell the ashes of a burning hades. If you've played part 1 or 2, then you know what to expect with the sound effects, and it's here also. Sound great in my Bose Earbuds.

I have only a COUPLE of gripes about the game. I'm not completely done with it, but I can tell the game is going to be short. That's going to be a downer because I really like this game and just dont want it to end for at least 2 week..heh. Another gripe I have is that the game froze up on me once. Only once..so hopefully not again. Just make sure you save every time you get the chance.

Something that isnt a gripe, but a 'Just so ya know', playing on Normal is pretty dang easy. There are 4 modes...Easy, Normal, Hard, and God (which is greyed out at first). If you are pretty experienced with the game, I'd go with playing Hard.

Something parents should think about when pondering if they should get this game for their youngin. This game is based during when Rome was the hot spot. So when you see some of the female Gods, usually they are topless. Also there is a scene where Kratos frees two topless women and well...gets to have sex with them. You dont actually see it, but they show a vase or something rocking around while you hit a series of buttons to pleasure them both. Funny if you are older, but maybe not funny for parents with children.

All in all, I recommend this game completely for your PSP. It is definitely in my top 5 games for the PSP. That would include Ratchet and Clank, FF Tactics, Burnout Legends, and I dont have a 5th one yet..(it'll probably be the new Final Fantasy).

UPDATE:

Well after beating the game about an hour after posting this review, I will say it's definitely a short game. Also make sure you stay for after the credits. Well...you'll have to because you cant skip cut scenes (which I LOATHE that you cant do it in any game).
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Platform for Display: Sony PSP
God of War stands as one of Sony's best original franchises, and now the vengeance-driven Kratos and his deadly chains have come to the PSP. Fans of the series will also be more than happy to know that God of War: Chains of Olympus stands as the best action title to hit Sony's portable system yet, as it nearly flawlessly brings everything that has made the God of War series so good, and packs it into one small disc. Taking place before the events of the original God of War, Chains of Olympus finds Kratos as general serving the gods, and also finds him struggling with obeying his orders, or doing what he feels he should. Undoubtedly the best looking game to hit the PSP yet, God of War: Chains of Olympus retains the excellent production values, addictive combat, tight controls, solid puzzle elements, and unlockable extras that will keep you glued to the game. The only real downside to Chains of Olympus is that as a whole, the game is too short. This one flaw is acceptable though, as Chains of Olympus boasts a brilliant score, more fantastic voice acting, and some dynamic action sequences that are easily the best to be seen on the PSP yet. All in all, God of War: Chains of Olympus is a more than welcome debut of Kratos on the PSP, and is by far the best action game to hit the PSP yet. Needless to say, if you own a PSP, God of War: Chains of Olympus is an absolute must own, and the definition of "killer app".
on March 14, 2008
Platform for Display: Sony PSP
Simply put, this is the best PSP game on the market and one of the most stunning handheld games ever made. The production value is through the roof. I have never played a handheld game that was of this caliber, if it were twice as long I would call it the single greatest achievement on any portable system.

From the moment I started the game, I was emotionally involved and I did not want to put the game down. I had not played the other GOW games, so this was all new to me... and I was hooked. The action was intense, but the puzzles were never complex.

The few issues that I had were with the length of the game, and the thumb pad, some fights hurt!

If you have a PSP, you have to play this game... I hope this is the harbinger of the future for the PSP, because it proves that Sony's little console is quite something!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 5, 2008
Platform for Display: Sony PSP
Sad but true, I've never played God of War before. I've heard so much about the game and, considering it has David Jaffe's involvement in its' history, you'd think I'd have already played it. Alas, I haven't. Yet, I see the commercial on tv for this game and hear rantin' & ravin' from my friends about the game, I decide to get the PSP installment. Man (or Woman, whatever the case may be..;)), I was missing out on this for this long?? This game blew me away. It's exciting, addictive and challenging. God of War: Chains of Olympus is simply put 'the best looking title' on the system, bar none, yet. I've never seen graphics look quite this good on the system. Honestly. If graphics can get any better than this on the PSP, I'll be amazed. The environments were simply breathtaking, nothing like I've seen before. Course, Ready At Dawn made Daxter visually appealing for its' time.

For an action game, this game truly delivers. Especially where the story is concerned. Makes me wish some developers would make portable versions of some of my favorite games(like Shadowman, Bloodrayne, Legacy of Kain or Devil May Cry).

There's plenty of bonus content in the game that makes playing through a few times more appealing but I have a problem with the game's length. It is just too short for this kind of game. I managed to get through it in a little over 8 hours. It is, however, a portable game so I have to take that into account. Memory restrictions and whatnot, withstanding, it should be understood.

God of War: Chains of Olympus is a remarkable achievement on the PSP. It's a 'must-have' purchase for all owners of a PSP. This game just goes to prove that Ready At Dawn is a force to be reckoned with in the handheld world. I'm expecting great things from this bunch on their next game.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Platform for Display: Sony PSP
Well, it's been a long time coming, but Kratos has made his way to the small screen of our PSP's, and it was well worth waiting for!

From the description of the game on Amazon, it talks about epic gameplay on the PSP - but Chains of Olympus does more than this...it makes me forget that I'm playing on a PSP! Why? Because the graphics are absolutely breathtaking! The camera angles are a perfect match to the Playstation 2 counterparts of God of War and God of War 2.

In a nutshell, you get to follow along with Kratos in his forced servitude to the Olympian Gods.

There are a lot of combat moves, most of which are transfers from the other God of War games...but had to be changed with the lack of a second analog stick. Surprisingly, after a few hours of playing, you won't even notice because you adapt to the gameplay quickly. There are new weapons to power up, but the good ol' Blades of Chaos are right where they belong, in Kratos' hot little hands.

The boss battles are excellent. However, some of them will take a little intuition to figure out exactly how to defeat them, but hey, that's what God of War is all about...try, try again while slicing and dicing!

As far as the puzzle solving goes, some are definitely easier than others. Anyone familiar with the first 2 God of War games or Resident Evil should be able to figure out most of the puzzles without too much difficulty.

My only gripe about the game: As other reviewers have mentioned, it takes about 7 to 8 hours to solve it, and the PSP battery will not last anywhere near that long. But even if you run out of juice, you can plug the PSP in to recharge, and you'll pick up right where the game left off!

This is one of the best features of the PSP, being able to turn the unit off and pick up the gameplay when we're ready to.

With the unlockable content, advanced gameplay and extra costumes, God of War: Chains of Olympus is a MUST HAVE for the PSP.

Eat well, Spartan...FOR TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 14, 2009
Platform for Display: Sony PSPVerified Purchase
I'm a 54 yr. old grandma. I'm not a "gamer" and I don't usually play a lot of video games but when my kids purchased a psp for me 2 yrs. ago on a birthday I was in awe! I purchased the Chains of Olympus game without hesitation, already having played GOW one & two, I was a little anxious to get this one! My waiting was over and it is everything I expected it to be! The only downside to this game is it is short lived. You can finish it in about 5-6 hrs of steady play and beat it. The action is quick, surprising at times, and the scenes a little breathtaking. Greek mythology is one of my passions and may be the reason for my love of this particular game series. If you enjoy that type of game (God knows I love the story line and the music) you will not be dissapointed when you purchase this game. It is colorful and it is BIG! I couldn't put it down for days after I first got it. You'll enjoy it too!!!
Platform for Display: Sony PSP
I am a PSP fan/apologist, but I dwell primarily in the genre of RPGs. When I heard that God of War was coming to the system, I was interested as Ready At Dawn created thoughtful, quality products in the first two games and I wanted to see what they would do on the small screen.

Having watched the first two GoWs played by my more-dexterous and action game-favoring little brother, my biggest concern was that I would not be able to master the controls. I was pleasantly surprised by the demo and the final product that despite not having the background in action games that he does I was still able to pick it up and really make progress. Others have complained that the various items and combat skills you pick up are fairly meaningless when most creatures go down with enough button mashing, but up the sort of person who likes to vary my attacks in the name of being flashy and cool so this didn't bother me too much. Visually the game really comes through - the lag and long loading times you might expect from an action game on the PSP really aren't there (though they aren't non-existent either). There is enough going on in levels to keep you challenged but also make you feel like you are constantly moving, never stuck.

My biggest complain with the game has to be length. About two-thirds of the way through the game it became clear that my current mission for the gods was to be my only mission - there are no hidden levels, nothing particularly cool to unlock except for challenges and costumes, which in my mind do not constitute content. I knew not to expect much from the story but the shortness of it made the meaninglessness of the plot more conspicuous. A mission-based system (Find this idol! Assist in this war! Take on this lesser god/goddess! Subdue that beast!) might have been more palatable. As it is, I beat this game in a weekend, and ended up selling it within a week because there was nothing about the challenges or replaying the game in a harder mode that excited me enough to hold onto it. I would go into the experience of playing it with that in mind - you're going to have fun slashing though gods and constructs with Kratos, but the ride is going to come to a stop all too soon.
Platform for Display: Sony PSP
Having played the other two God of War titles, I still didn't expect much from a small-screen PSP game. I have to say I've been incredibly impressed with Chains of Olympus for the PSP: the game looks and plays 99% identical to its big-screen counterparts.

(For kicks, you *can* grab an A/V cable and play it on your TV...but I digress)

Just as with other titles in the series, Chains of Olympus provides you with an ongoing storyline, heaps of slaughter, and many different combinations to produce the right effect in battle. It also gives you the ability to choose which skill areas to "level" as you collect orbs, and how far you want to raise them. Last, we have the in-game plot sequences and the unusual puzzles (reader beware: your sexual skills will be put to the test shortly into the first chapter).

There are differences, but thus far I see only minor ones: for example, camera rotation can be a bit difficult, and dodge-rolls require tapping both shoulder buttons. These are still somewhat easily worked around: with a little time and practice, a player can adapt pretty easily.

Overall, if you're a fan of the God of War games and want the same experience on the go, you won't be disappointed. If you're new to God of War, this is what you'll get on the big screen, too--you will enjoy Chains of Olympus as much as you'd enjoy the others.
on October 31, 2008
Platform for Display: Sony PSP
I got this game with the God of War PSP pack, mostly because I wanted the newer PSP and it seemed like a nice perk to get a game with it. After having played it, I can honestly say that this game is probably the only PSP game that you NEED to own. As a fair warning for parents, it is rated "M" for a reason.

Having said that, the "M" rating is what makes the game so great for people like myself. There's nothing more satisfying than ripping the head off a Medusa and pounding your dagger into the eye of a cyclops. I've never played any God of War games before this one, but so far, I am hooked.

Some reviewers have said that it is too short, but for a PSP game, it seems long enough for me. There are some good plot points, but not enough to slow down the gameplay, which is a good thing in this case.

The graphics are amazing and the controls are well-executed. If I had to dock the game for anything, though, it would be that there are a lot of different button combos to keep track of, as is typical of any game in this category. However, if tearing apart bad guys brings a smile to your face, this is a game you need.
on August 22, 2010
Platform for Display: Sony PSP
I got a psp for my birthday a while back and along with I decided to pick up God of War chains of olympus. Well, my first thoughts when playing the game were damn, this is pretty hard. I first played GOW on my friends ps2. So thats why I got it. It took a while to get used to the controls. After that the whole game was really easy, even on God mode (the hardest mode). Basically all you do is run around and jump while pressing a series of buttons.(mostly square)

The combos are okay. That, again is hindered by the psp's lack of buttons. This simplifies the combos but doesn't have the awesomeness of the ps2 and ps3 GOW games.
I have played all of the console God of war games I, II, III, and now chains of olympus.

The graphics are okay. But that is pitting the psp against giants like the xbox360 and the ps3. As far as handhelds are concerned, chains of olympus is one of the best. Its graphics are far superior to most of the other psp games.

As for the gameplay, its pretty good. The cutscenes are realistic, great load times and well, great overall.

graphics:4.5/5
combos:3/5
load times:5/5 {practically no load times}
fun: 4/5 (too easy for my liking)
my rating 4/5 (could have been better)

Overall, I think that God of war chains of olympus is a great game. If you get a chance to buy it, go for it.

Well, thanks for reading and I hope this review was helpful to you.

See 1 answered question