5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Historical Debut
Published on July 29, 2009 by PJ Ausdenmore

2.0 out of 5 stars Distinctly aware of the heroine's age
Throughout this novel, I was acutely aware of how young the heroine was. That's never a good sign. Basically she acted like an immature teenager, which was very unappealing. An interesting premise, but it got annoying and irritating to see the heroine careen about the plot with so little awareness and sense of reality.
Published on March 1, 2010 by Sophia

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Historical Debut, July 29, 2009
This review is from: Goddess of the Hunt (Mass Market Paperback)
Every year there seems to be one debut author who bursts upon the scene and absolutely knocks my socks off with her superb writing skill. This year, that author is Tessa Dare. In her debut book, GODDESS OF THE HUNT, Dare showcases her command of the English language with exquisite prose that sings across the pages with a lyrical quality that is a joy to read. Her characters are so vividly drawn that they practically leap from the pages and her story unerringly hits all the right notes.

Irrepressible Lucy Waltham has fancied herself in love with Sir Toby since the tender age of eleven, when her older brother's friend dubbed her his "Diana, Goddess of the Hunt". She has bided her time, knowing in her heart that one day Toby would awaken to his real feelings for her, but now, eight years later, her brother's friends have arrived for their annual gathering and, for the first time, Toby is exhibiting a serious interest in someone. Lucy has no choice but to seduce him and show him that she is the woman of his dreams and the one he is meant to marry, not Miss Sophia Hathaway. Unfortunately for Lucy, she has never even been kissed but she has a book that explains everything. All she needs now is someone with whom to practice.

Jeremy Trescott has always treasured his visits to Waltham Manor, the home of his good friend, Henry Waltham. It's the only place where he has ever been able to relax and be himself. Growing up with parents who showed neither love nor appreciation for their son, Jeremy learned to close off his emotions years ago. In truth, the only person who has ever been able to get a rise out of him is Lucy, his friend's exasperating younger sister and in Jeremy's own words, his "personal version of a biblical plague." Now she shows up at his bedroom door in the middle of the night with the crazy idea that she is going to seduce Toby...after honing her skills with him! If only she wasn't proving to be such a fast learner.

I have always enjoyed the "brother's best friend" storyline and I was intrigued by Dare's unique spin on the concept. Lucy does indeed fall for her brother's friend, just not the one that she, and everyone else, expected. But the self admission of her feelings isn't the end of this story but, rather, the beginning of the second half of the book for her greatest challenge, winning Jeremy's love, is still to be achieved and this is one hero who doesn't make it easy.

That perhaps is Dare's greatest talent as a writer. Aside from the scintillating banter, the lovely, lyrical prose, the humor and angst of young and unrequited love, this is an author who made me care about her characters - all of her characters. I highly recommend GODDESS OF THE HUNT. The next two books in this trilogy, SURRENDER OF A SIREN and A LADY OF PERSUASION will be released August 25th and September 29th, respectively. I'll be counting the days!

2.0 out of 5 stars Distinctly aware of the heroine's age, March 1, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh My Oh My Oh My...., October 23, 2009
babs "babs" (Dacula, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goddess of the Hunt (Mass Market Paperback)
Who in the world is Tessa Dare and where has she been all my life?!

"Goddess of The Hunt" had me hooked from page one. I cringed every time I knew I had to put this one down, and I hated the fact that my eyes betrayed me at night when I'd fall asleep trying to read it. I don't see a "Best-Seller" on the cover yet, but I promise if this lady keeps writing books like this she's going to be the next Julia Quinn (the old, not the new one).

Pages 115-128 holds the most intense, steam building, mouth hanging open loves scenes I think I've EVER read. Just do me favor...when your at the bookstore and your not sure about buying this book, flip to these pages...you will not put this one back down.

Just a taste of what I'm talking about...this scene takes place in a wardrobe, after Jeremy finds her during a game of hide-and-seek. The only light inside is just few rays of sunshine pushing their way through the cracks...

"...He kissed his way back up her neck and brought his hands to the neckline of her dress, gathering the facbric of muslin until it threatened to tear. Then her tongue flicked a silent plea against his ear, so lightly he might have imagined it, once.

Twice, he could not mistake.

...Then her hands slid around the his back, and she leaned against his chest. She brushed her lips over the base of his throat. Again. Again. Her kisses felt like rain drops in a desert, sizzling on his scorched flesh. He bent his head and his mouth found hers. And then the storm broke..."

I am not kidding ladies...you will/could not read this and not think "Oh good Lord!". This novel has the right balance of everything and you will absolutely love every character...My "All-Time Favorites" list has just gained a book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Just Can't Recommend, September 13, 2009
I'm afraid this book falls into familiar territory for me--heroine is depicted as so plucky, independent, and filled with backbone that she has just been transposed into the 1800's fresh from 2009. I realize that authors must make their heroines accessible to a modern-day (mostly female) audience, but a girl raised in the vicinity of the British Class System of the time would know that a future contessa would not be allowed to climb trees, roam the woods, or hunt and fish like a tomboy and wouldn't get all put off by being reminded of that fact. Lucy Waltham does and that fact is just down right silly. Unfortunately, this is just one instance of where she comes across so young and callow. Her man-to-be-Jeremy, Earl of Kendall--is the only one of the men who isn't a complete dolt--and if he ever felt more than lust for her--well, I couldn't feel it. The second half of the story revolves around "The Big Misunderstanding" never one of my favorite plot devices as well.

I've read plenty of books where the heroine has a strong sense of self and independence but doesn't have to be unrealistic. Add to this the fact that I found Lucy immature and grating for most of the book, and I just can't say I can recommend. I know it was the authors maiden voyage and I would like to end this with some positive feedback as well. Ms. Dare can write--but this particular brew was not to my liking. This doesn't mean I won't try another offering in the future. She is a good, even talented writer--her characters in this just left me a little flat this time. The quality of the writing isn't in question--it's just a matter of taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a keeper. Charming. Witty. Unforced., August 9, 2010
Sparkling effervescent dialogue. Laugh out loud situations that are nonetheless credible. I really enjoyed this. A charming gamine heroine almost overlooks her match while pining over and scheming to impress another. All the characters were well defined and very droll. The dynamics of each relationship rang true and were integral to the story. If you loved Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase you will enjoy this too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cliche storyline, but very well written, March 10, 2011
SavvyChris (Draper, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goddess of the Hunt (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was actually recommended by my local library. Although well written, it had the typical cliches of most historical romances (which is why I had stopped reading them.) The 20 year old virgin and the 30 year old rake -- what's new!

I gave this book such a high rating because the quality of writing was very good, Dare just needs to be more inventive in her storylines. I read the next book in the series (Surrender of a Siren) and she had the same problem -- well written, but a storyline that has been seen a hundred times. The attraction and sexual tension between Lucy and Jeremy were very believable. And I liked the character of Sophia (seen again in the next novel).

There was a lot of misunderstanding between the characters -- things said, or not said, taken the wrong way. Some of the scenes were actually emotionally painful. There was one extremely well written scene where Lucy collapses to the floor crying over her dead parents and all she wants is Jeremy to comfort her. But, Jeremy was taught by his mother that when a woman cries, it is his fault and he must leave immediately. The pain of both characters in that scene was palpable.

If you like historical romances, this is excellent. If you prefer modern romances (like myself) it's worth reading if you are looking for a book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cliche, March 31, 2010
This review is from: Goddess of the Hunt (Mass Market Paperback)
This book started off with promise. The writing is witty and well paced. The plot had potential. The second half, however, is a serious disappointment. The themes lacked originality--the Big Misunderstanding That Could be Solved With One Conversation; the Redemption of the Rake by a Young, Innocent Virgin. Jeremy's angst was never believable, and his highly overreactive protection of Lucy got annoying. Lucy's character was better developed, but I was constantly reminded of her age and immaturity. There are better ways to spend your Kindle budget.

2.0 out of 5 stars Average and a bit boring, August 5, 2009
This review is from: Goddess of the Hunt (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought this book based on the raving reviews, but I was sadly disappointed. Goddess of the Hunt is certainly nothing special. Tessa Dare does not bring anything new to this average tale of an extremely annoying young lady who falls for her older brother's friend(s). I was wholly put-off by this heroine. Dare tries to make her spunky, but only succeeds in making her immature instead. The book jacket makes this seem like a more meaty, intellectual kind of romance, but it's not. It's just a somewhat boring romance that doesn't break any new ground nor provide memorable characters or plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious!!! A beautiful story!, March 24, 2010
This review is from: Goddess of the Hunt (Mass Market Paperback)
This book took me back to the days when historical romance was an absolute thrill!!!
The girl is a total riot! She was wild in a charming daring way and I loved her right away. The guy was wonderful, caring and lost control in a most sensual way. All the characters were pretty endearing. It made the story warm with numerous emotional complexities. I found it great, funny, passionate sex and a beautiful love story!

3.0 out of 5 stars not all that, January 29, 2010
This review is from: Goddess of the Hunt (Mass Market Paperback)
Well, I bought this book based on all the rave reviews and the fact that Julia Quinn had recommended it on her web site, too. To me, it was just okay. not the worst i've read, but not 5 star quality either. plus, maybe i'm just becoming a prude, but for me some of the love scenes were a little too graphic for my taste, but agian, thats just me. Hope this helps with any potential readers. PS- i read the whole trilogy and feel the same about all 3 books.

Goddess of the Hunt
Goddess of the Hunt by Tessa Dare (Mass Market Paperback - July 28, 2009)
$6.99 $6.29