4.0 out of 5 stars A good read but with a confusing ending.....
I liked the book for the most part. I will be trying another from the series and hoping for a better ending. as it was about Goddesses and such i was ready to suspend my reality at the door so to speak. But I just didn't understand the ending at all.

SPOILER HERE

She is taken from her time to make Arthur happy so Merlin will wake up and be with the...
Published on January 10, 2012 by Missy

1.0 out of 5 stars On the downslide
Published on December 12, 2010 by Serenity68

1.0 out of 5 stars On the downslide, December 12, 2010
This review is from: Goddess of Legend (Goddess Summoning) (Paperback)
I've been a fan of Cast's Goddess Summoning series for awhile, but they have slowly gone downhill. I think it started with Goddess of Love, which I found to be a disappointment and a bit of an eye roller, and has just gotten lower and lower. Goddess of Legend is by far the worst. The constant use of slang (seriously, what forty-something year old woman uses that much slang ALL the time??), the lack of details and character development, and just an overall rushed feeling. It honestly feels like Cast is just cranking out the books for quota purposes- the heart is completely missing. Goddess of the Rose and Goddess of Spring had so much detail and really just drew you in. You were able to spend awhile with the characters, getting into their lives and getting to know them. The stories and the romance were spot on and almost beautiful. Now I find myself frustrated with the characters, the repetitiveness of situations, and the constant use of the phrase (though varied) that "older woman are better because they're more experienced and mature".

Isabel is almost a one dimensional character whose sole purpose is to moon over Arthur's smile and crank out the slang. Guinevere is annoyingly moody. Arthur falls flat for me, as does the young Lancelot. What could have been interesting characters, Merlin and Viviene, are just kind of shoved in there, and never explored. By far the most puzzling and "huh" thing is the fact that Viviene summons Isabel to save Merlin, who has put himself into a magical sleep rather than face what looks like a crappy future because Arthur gets depressed about Guinevere and Lancelot. *spoiler alert* Isabel and Arthur fall for each other, Merlin wakes up, and THEN SHE LEAVES, fades away back to her own time after sacrificing herself. So what was the point? How did that save Arthur and Merlin? Wasn't he going to be all depressed after she left? And Viviene's magical tear necklace makes all of the people Isabel loved then go to Isabel's time, with the same names and qualities. It just didn't work for me at all and I seriously felt like throwing something in frustration because I know Cast can do better.

I think this may be the last Cast book I purchase. I just can't see getting my hopes up again, shelling out the money, and then being hugely disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Small charms in this Camelot, December 23, 2010
This review is from: Goddess of Legend (Goddess Summoning) (Paperback)
I typically like to start off with reviews being as open as humanly possible given my taste can be somewhat different than those around me.

But I truly have to say that the BAD absolutely outweigh the GOOD in this newest P.C. Cast addition to the Goddess series. I won't give too much away for those looking to see if this is something up their alley but enough to let you know this book is one I would highly suggest you not read in its entirety but rather the synopsis on the item description page here at Amazon. Its that bad! I by no means am what you would call a fembot and I find at times in P.C's other books it can get a little girl-powery but nevertheless I have alway been endeared to those women, Shannon, Kat, Jackie and C.C. to name my favorites however in this book I find the feminist outlook simply too vomit-inducing!!!! Really after the first 100 times PC expresses the age old "women can do anything men can do" adage I find myself secretly wishing this was in fact the Medieval Times when women were silent wallflowers. Its exhausting picking through most of a book heavily ladened with girl-power ideals to get to characters that in truth be told were nowhere near being as fully developed as they could and should have been. I find myself gravitating towards Arthur and James and wishing the rest would join Merlin. I never felt a sense of any individuality from the characters but cooker cutters versions and that the book moved at a break neck pace over parts which were mildly entertaining and excruciatingly slow over those parts I'd rather be tortured than read.

AND the most annoying part of the book: ISABEL continues to speak like a illiterate high schooler and not the well to do photojournalist PC describes her as. Really the "Yo" and "Buck Up" are not funny but annoying and the Jeopardy thing gets old real quick. I have never met a 40 something who would use slang and not fear being ridiculed by their peers. However here she's painted as inspiring and wise as a result of her "funny way of speaking". Its left me with only one conclusion either she's a moron or Arthur and his people are. In Camelot with Gods and Goddess galore could they truly not find another savior for Arthur thats better suited than this nimcompoop?

Bottom Line: THE WORST Cast book written. Stick with Warrior Rising, Goddess of the Sea or The Partholon Series if you want fairy tale/mythology at PC's best!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, December 9, 2010
This review is from: Goddess of Legend (Goddess Summoning) (Paperback)
I've enjoyed the Goddess Summoning series. The characters are usually fun and charismatic and their interactions are a joy to read about.

But this book was a horrifying exception. Shame on whatever editor let this manuscript go to press. Where to begin...

It started out ok. But I soon felt like I was reading chat room dialogue between a bunch of teenagers. Maybe it's lingering influences from writing her House of Night series (although those are much better written than this book), but the mixture of slang and more "period" dialogue was jarring and ridiculous. And Vivianne's tendency to rhyme everything was just weird. Why does a Goddess feel the need to phrase everything like a badly written poem? Cast's other Goddesses were much more interesting and intelligent seeming.

The conflicts between Arthur and Isabel also bothered me. Cast's books don't really have those manufactured "we need a conflict so our characters can make up, so let's have them fight about something stupid that two sentences could have cleared up" kinds of conflicts. But this book has at least two of them.

I think in the hands of a previous version of Cast, Arthur and Isabel could have been really interesting people. There is definitely a spark between them and the setting is perfect for romance. I just can't believe that the author who wrote so many fun books produced this....I don't even know what to call it. Tragedy?

Hopefully this serves as a warning. If you're looking for a well-written, fun romance, don't buy this book. Look at her other ones. And if you're a first time Cast reader, avoid this book...her other ones are much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Goddess Help Me! This is an Awful Book!, December 16, 2010
This review is from: Goddess of Legend (Goddess Summoning) (Paperback)
This book was long overdue and I was so happy to get it. In the past I enjoyed the Goddess Series, but Goddess of Legend is just awful. What a waste of time and money.

This book is a prime example of what happens when an author gets too big for herself; becomes too over extended and is writing under too many genres. Ms. Cast has done better in the past but I am afraid fame may have blinded her.

Goddess of Legend is just one chapter of slap stick Rosanne Barr humor after another, the supporting characters are weak and so is the goddess as well. Isabel is immature for a 40 something year old, Arthur is weak and Lancelot is worse than an 11 year old that is on punishment.

It was a chore to finish this book and I am very disappointed in P.C. Cast for giving her reading fans such trash. I should have known something was up with this book, it has a lousy cover too! UGH!

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure Junk, December 19, 2010
This review is from: Goddess of Legend (Goddess Summoning) (Paperback)
I have never before felt the need to post a review for a book. I literally wanted to throw this book across the room several times. The only reason I forced myself to read it is I paid $15 for it. Total waste of money... I LOVE PC Cast's previous works. Her House of Night books are "ok" but I really fell in love with her previous books on Goddesses. I was so saddened when she kept putting her time into writing the mediocre House of Night books that I was overjoyed to see that Goddess of Legend came out. Unfortunately, the book has nothing in it that her other books have. In her previous books I would be drawn in and couldn't put the book down. I felt like I was living the story. I also loved the pagan undertones. All that is gone from this book plus it ended so poorly and it was pretty much a copy of Goddess of the Sea. I too don't think I'll be wasting any more time or money on her books. Also, if you can't stand the game show Jeopardy, don't buy this book. The characters play this came through much of the last half of the book and it drives you nuts!

1.0 out of 5 stars Epic Failure!, January 12, 2011
This review is from: Goddess of Legend (Goddess Summoning) (Paperback)
I have read P.C. Cast's books for a long time now and her earlier Goddess Summoning books were absolutely first rate. The first book I read was Goddess of Spring. I was enchanted with this book. This was in my opinion one of her best. I agree with another reviewer that her books started to go downhill when she published Goddess of Love. Being a fan I stuck with her and continued to purchase books as they published. I waited to write a review because I wanted to get others opinions on the book before I wrote mine because I could not believe how someone who wrote Goddess of Spring could write this trash. The earlier books were hard to put down until you finished it, and I re-read many of them. This book I could not finish reading because it is so bad. It has become obvious that Ms. Cast is no longer interested in writing for her "adult" fans. I think this Goddess of Legend is or should be an embarrasment to her that she actually put her name on such a terrible book. Her heart is not in it anymore people. I have purchased my last book from her.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst PC Cast book yet, January 3, 2011
This review is from: Goddess of Legend (Goddess Summoning) (Paperback)
If you wish to retain any good will for PC Cast, whose other Goddess Summoning series books have proven enjoyable, then skip Goddess of Legend. Absolutely disappointing- a cliche strewn, shallow and ridiculous plot with one dimensional characters that you grow to despise by the end of the book. Sincerely hoping that Cast's next will be on par with her previous writing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, December 30, 2010
This review is from: Goddess of Legend (Goddess Summoning) (Paperback)
This is the first review I am doing for a book. First I want to say that I absolutely love Cast's Goddess Summoning Series. My favorite is the Goddess of Spring. Her books are always fun and sexy, with characters that you can relate to and love.

This, unfortunately, was not like the others. I agree with the other posts on many things. First, the use of all the slang, was just obnoxious. I tried to like Isabel and could not get over her use of language. The whole "I'll take blah blah blah for a thousand Alex" got old very quickly.

The second thing I didn't like about this book was Cast's characters. Isabel gets thrown into a world where she is in the presence of the great King Arthur of Camelot. Instead of being humbled in the slightest, she acts as if she already owns the place. Have some humility. Mordred, a total bad apple (bad enough to wound a defenseless horse), is shown the error of his ways simply by being kicked in the leg by Isabel? I doubt it. Gwen was also all over the place. One day she's the nicest person in the world, the next she's a conniving, whining, manipulator. It was very hard to care about most of the characters.

The writing of the book itself is sloppy, jagged, and thrown together. I think this book was rushed. The ending of the book was a total let down as well. I won't go into what happens, but nothing like I would have thought, and once again, just thrown together.

I'm also not usually a stickler for editing, but when it is just thrown in your face throughout the book, it also devalues the writing. (Ex: First line of Chapter 8)

Ok, so good points...I really liked the characters of Mary and James. They were my favorite throughout the book. You saw glimpses of Cast's earlier writing when she wrote of the interaction between Mary and Isabel. But when Mary left the room, so did the story. I also liked King Arthur, to an extent. When I think of King Arthur, however, I would have made him much more masculine than he was. He let Isabel walk all over him at points, which if history has taught us anything, with a king, that would NEVER happen.

Overall, I wish this book would have been held onto until it was at its best. It was so rushed that it ruined the story. I was so excited to read this book, as the tale of "Gwen and Lance" was one of my favorites. But, sadly, in the end, it left me utterly disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Drug out, December 24, 2010
This review is from: Goddess of Legend (Goddess Summoning) (Paperback)
Although the books of the Goddess series generated an up and down feel for me. I did find this book enjoyable, however, it appeared rushed in certain parts and drug out in other. Sometimes series just need to come to an end.

1.0 out of 5 stars astonished, December 8, 2010
chessiest writing. the leading lady is in her 40s and acts as if shes 16 in the worst way. cannot even compete with her pervious goddes books. started out fine but became consideribly worse as it progressed.

Goddess of Legend (Goddess Summoning)
Goddess of Legend (Goddess Summoning) by P. C. Cast (Paperback - December 7, 2010)
$15.00 $12.50