Godfather Collection Blu-ray Packaging Damages Discs.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 6, 2010 9:59:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2010 10:01:41 AM PDT
Has anyone with this disc collection taken a look at the play surfaces of the discs? Has anyone with this disc collection received a Blu-ray box with lockup hubs and a waxy coating?

Last month, I purchased The Godfather Blu-ray version of the Coppola Restoration and discovered that the disc case had damaged two of the discs. Two of the discs were nearly impossible to remove from their spindles and a lot of effort involving rotating and pulling was necessary in order to pry them loose.

After finally getting the first disc out of the box, I turned it over and saw that it had several large cloudy areas on the play surface. This turned out to be some kind of wax that was transferred to the disc from the case during the ordeal of removing it. After removing the wax coating from the disc, I could see that there were a number of circular scratches in the play surface of the disc that were obviously caused by the play surface of the disc being rubbed against the bottom of the box during the disc extraction procedure.

The second disc required the same difficult removal procedure as the first and it had the same waxy coating and circular scratches as the first disc. Discs three and four were easier to remove and they only had the wax contamination without the scratches.

All of the discs played without problems, but I can only imagine the strain they put on my player's error correction system. If the discs had been kept in the Paramount Destro-pack, the damage would only get worse each time the discs were pried out of the box. The special features disc contained only a couple of additional items not found in my five-disc Godfather DVD collection, so I decided this Paramount Blu-ray garbage package would need to be returned.

Now, I have received The Sapphire Series, Blu-ray versions of The Godfather and The Godfather Part II and both of them are packaged in traditional, wax-free Blu-ray cases, without the lockup hubs. This is not the work-around that I would have preferred, but I am of the opinion that The Godfather Part III was a lousy movie that I can live without on Blu-ray and the additional Blu-ray extra features are not worth the steep price of the destructive packaging used for the Godfather Blu-ray collection.

Is anyone else disgusted with Paramount's Blu-ray Godfather Collection box?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Jul 6, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 6, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Godfather Collection (The Coppola Restoration) [Blu-ray]
The Godfather Collection (The Coppola Restoration) [Blu-ray] by Marlon Brando (Blu-ray - 2008)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (2,191)