4.0 out of 5 stars Who is on God's guest list for you?
With a title like "God's Guest List" one is drawn to discover just who might be on that list. Debbie Macomber, in another non-fiction work assists readers in contemplating who might be on God's guest list for their lives.

Published on November 17, 2010 by KBagato

3.0 out of 5 stars Enriching, with a caveat
Published on March 31, 2011 by L. Forrest

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Who is on God's guest list for you?, November 17, 2010
This review is from: God's Guest List: Welcoming Those Who Influence Our Lives (Hardcover)

The author shares stories of those whose lives have intertwined with hers and retells uplifting tales of others. She helps us see that although we may have our own ideas about why certain people are in our lives, God sees the broader view of what and who we really need in our lives.

I appreciate how she included not just her own family members, friends and folks she liked but also the strangers, prickly personalities and difficult people. Her perspective on the necessity of these folks' impact on our lives is sometimes more vital than those who are more agreeable.

God knows us better than we know ourselves, and like a good father he makes sure we get what we need not just what we want. He really is looking out for us and we in turn are to look after others and notice when he might be inviting us to be on his guest list in someone else's life to fulfill his purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that is capital-letter Inspirational, December 2, 2010
FaithfulReader.com (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
Debbie Macomber's fiction is consistently on secular bestseller lists. She knows how to tell a good story with a women's audience in mind. In recent years, she has broadened her scope, turning now and then to inspirational nonfiction titles. GOD'S GUEST LIST invites readers into her life, introducing people who have inspired and encouraged her, tested and tried her in ways that God has used to strengthen her in character and faith.

The book's premise is interesting. Admitting that she's a list maker, Macomber took the advice of Jack Canfield and made a list of 30 people --- famous ones --- who she wanted to meet in her lifetime. (It seems she has met them all.) Being disappointed with some of these unnamed characters, she sensed God asking her to start a new list of 30 people, not necessarily notables: "put down thirty more spaces, but leave them open for the people I want to send into your life." This she calls an "unfinished guest list," or a list of the guests God sends into her life. A page at the end of Chapter One gives 30 empty lines, for the reader to fill in, with her own future God-sent "guests."

The "list" setup is hardly mentioned again, the subsequent chapters covering by category people who have influenced her (similar categories of people having influenced most of us): wisdom givers, strangers, ancestors, mothers, fathers, extended families, boyfriends and husbands, children, childhood friends, and business associates. Each chapter features a piece of Macomber's own life; you are introduced to her family circle, her ancestry, her professional network. She also includes more generic vignettes, for example, about John Wesley's mother and Abraham Lincoln's, about an Olympian runner's wise high school track coach, about the "unforgettable story" of the father of motivational speaker Tom Krause, about the grandmother of Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

Chapters end with a section marked "RSVP," in which readers are asked to consider how to examine "our own potential influence in the lives of others." Just as God brings people into our lives, God sets us among others; we become part of their life "guest list."

Macomber has given us a book that is capital-letter Inspirational, of greatest interest to readers who know and like her previous work. If you've enjoyed her fiction, which she admits has changed over the years, I think you'll like the person "behind the pen." The final chapter introduces one's best guest, Christ himself, in a way that invites readers to welcome Him into their lives.

--- Reviewed by Evelyn Bence

5.0 out of 5 stars Listing Inspiring People as Way of Journaling Seemingly Serendipitous Encounters, December 9, 2010
L. C. Henderson (Velddrift, South Africa) - See all my reviews
In common with many other Type A personalities, the internationally renowned author of more than 100 novels, Debbie Macomber, who has more than 100 million books currently in print, is an inveterate list maker. In the past, she confesses, she drew up a list of all those people whom she had long admired and whom she wished to meet. However, by trial and error she came to realize that the guest list that she had drawn up for herself was much inferior to that which God had for her life. Now Macomber also invites us to keep ourselves open to all those people whom we encounter along the way who unexpectedly bring us closer to Him in our daily path. She assures us that if we anticipate that each one of those whom we meet might be a person whom God has sent into our lives to teach us more about how best we can serve Him, we open ourselves up to a world of possibility.

For our lives to be fulfilling, we need to examine each aspect of our existence with a God focus. According to Macomber, "[t]he key to accomplishing any discipline in life, whether it is setting goals, losing weight, changing behavior, or discovering God's guest list, is to be intentional, to be aware, and to be able to chart our findings." She, therefore, encourages us to journal God's guest list, even if it is merely recording the names of those whom we meet who really bring the presence of God on Earth into our lives. Though we might not be as gifted with the ability to write as Macomber undoubtedly is, we, too, all have our own gifts to present to the world. The spirit of being able to receive gracefully, as well as to give plenteously, is what the Christian life is all about.

Each of the fifteen chapters of God's Guest List: Welcoming Those Who Influence Our Lives starts with a Bible verse that focuses on the central concern of that section of the text. Macomber then explores her own experiences, as well as those of others, related to the issue at stake, ending with a few lines on what we can take from the encounter. The author's writing is fluent, warm and highly accessible. Although she is very much Christ-focused, Macomber's approach is so welcoming and gentle that I would not hesitate to recommend this book, even to those who are, as yet, still rather uncertain about their faith. Not only is God's Guest List truly a work worth investing in, but most likely, if you haven't yet had the pleasure of reading Macomber's other works, don't be surprised if you feel the call to read others of her works once you have finished this--I know I have. [Reviewer for BookPleasures.com]

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK! REAL THINKER!, December 30, 2010
I am a big Debbie Macomber fan, but this book was very unlike her fiction books. It made me think about the everyday things that happen to us and the people we meet. It was very inspirational. DEFINITELY a favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-Changing, February 11, 2011
Jazzy Jeanne (Merced, California) - See all my reviews
Debbie Macomber is a delight, whether you read her work or listen to her talk. So I knew I would love "God's Guest List." How happily surprised I was to find in the book the story of someone I know in my town; his and my Christian organizations have often worked together to help homeless persons. I saw him soon after I began reading the book and enjoyed telling him I'd read his story in it.
Debbie's work is easy to read and soul-filling. "God's Guest List," after most of her numerous books have been fiction, shows what a multi-faceted and inspiring person she is. The book gives inspiration to live on purpose and get more out of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching, January 22, 2011
Famed fiction writer, Debbie Macomber, again hits a homerun with this non-fiction book. God's Guest List is all about paying attention to who God brings into your life so you don't miss the lessons He's trying to teach or the blessings He's trying to give. It is also about realizing the influence you have on others, even when you don't realize it. The book is well-written and reads really fast. The author uses stories from her life and the lives of others to show God's hand at work in our everyday world. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritually uplifting and very practical book!, April 27, 2011
Joyce Jordan "book lover" (Arkansas City, KS United States) - See all my reviews
This book was very inspiring and encouraging. It caused me to reflect on how God has used so many people in my life to bless me in various ways and all kinds of situations. The writing is down-to-earth and easy to read but there were many practical applications to use in my life to be a blessing to others in my day to day life. Would highly recommend this book to others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enriching, with a caveat, March 31, 2011
L. Forrest (Outside Atlanta, US) - See all my reviews
Debbie Macomber is a well-known author, and I have read several of her fiction books before. She has branched out into nonfiction, and I thought it would be nice to read something personal by her and about her. This book is meant to lead you through a written process of recognizing the precious people God has placed in one's life. Of course Mrs. Macomber is a gifted writer. The book flows well, and has some wonderful stories. The book is essentially a Christian witness, bits of the author's spiritual journey. It becomes obvious early on in the book that she is a former Roman Catholic Christian. Near the very end, Mrs. Macomber shares some of her perspective of coming to know Christ. As a practicing Catholic, it saddened me to see how how legalistic her view of the Church was. What concerned me is that anyone who reads this book may believe that her point of view about the Roman Catholic church is an accurate presentation of the Church's official view of Christ and redemption, which it is not. Otherwise, I thought it was a fine book which will be beneficial to many women in their faith lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Christmas Gift, March 19, 2014
Gave this all my girlfriends for Christmas. Best gift for everyone who love reading, Debbie Macomber books, I love her books and wanted to share it with my friends, who believe's in our Lord. Great read,love it!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, January 7, 2014
This book really makes you think about all the people in your life.
Looking back at past relationships I realized how they may have changed me ...
it was all in God's plan.
I loved the book so much I bought several copies as Christmas gifts for my best friends.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

God's Guest List: Welcoming Those Who Influence Our Lives
God's Guest List: Welcoming Those Who Influence Our Lives by Debbie Macomber (Hardcover - November 2, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.01