4.0 out of 5 stars A new kind of relationship with God
Published on June 20, 2005 by Karen Potts

3.0 out of 5 stars a letdown from secret life of bees!
ok, definitely not what i was expecting but some food for thought...i like joel olsteen's a better life now, much better!
Published on July 11, 2007 by Lori E. Goodman

4.0 out of 5 stars A new kind of relationship with God, June 20, 2005
Karen Potts (Lake Jackson, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God's Joyful Surprise: Finding Yourself Loved (Paperback)
Having read Sue Monk Kidd's two novels, "The Secret Life of Bees" and "The Mermaid Chair" and having enjoyed them a lot, I was eager to know more about the author herself. This is her first book which was published in 1987, and it tells about a portion of her spiritual journey. She was a young woman who was all too typical of today, a person who tried to be perfect in every aspect of her life. She rushed around baking homemade cookies for every event imaginable, being in charge of several events and ministries in her church, and trying to be the perfect wife and mother. She tried to earn God's love by being the best that she could be and by constantly doing good works. As a result, she wore herself out and began having physical symptoms of the stress she was under. She learned the hard way that it was better to be in fellowship with God rather than rush around earning his favor by works. This is the story of her metamorphosis from an over-stressed wife, mother, and church worker to a true daughter of God who learned to slow down, accept God's love and revel in his presence. There is much to be learned in this book by all Christians who wish to have a closer walk with God.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Timing, March 20, 2000
This review is from: God's Joyful Surprise: Finding Yourself Loved (Paperback)
Sue Monk Kidd has a knack of stating in precise, clear language the words you want to hear about your relationship with God. Not only that, everything in the book is instantly recognizable as some point in your own life. Her style is easy to read, much like a chat over tea, and you will find yourself wishing for more pages. Highly recommended for anyone looking to deepen their relationship with the Creator.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, January 11, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: God's Joyful Surprise: Finding Yourself Loved (Paperback)
Despite Atomic's rather unfair review, this book serves its purpose - to help the reader search his/her soul, encourage spirituality & provoke thinking in a direction possibly not taken prior to reading the book. I enjoyed every page and found myself a better person for having read it. I laughed out loud, I cried, I had "light bulb" moments - what a book!

5.0 out of 5 stars the right book at the right time, November 5, 2005
This review is from: God's Joyful Surprise: Finding Yourself Loved (Paperback)
I read this book years ago and have re-read it many times since. Not only did Sue Monk Kidd's experience resonate with me, but she introduced me to some fantastic writers. I highly recommend this book for anyone searching to know God better.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Never Let You Down!, August 4, 2009
This review is from: God's Joyful Surprise: Finding Yourself Loved (Paperback)
After reading other fiction works by Sue Monk Kidd and enjoying them very much, I have decided to read some of her spiritual works. What really sealed the deal was reading some of the reviews listed here from so-called Christians, spewing their venom and self-righteousness. They never let you down! I could never understand how someone could proclaim to be Christian and then start in with the hate mongering when it comes to something that they don't believe in. "Judge not lest ye be judged" anyone? People like these are exactly why I left the Christian church and it's patriarchal narrow-mindedness behind long ago to study all religions. What passes for Christianity today is but a shadow of what it was meant to be. Now it's become "Hate thy neighbor if he doesn't agree with you, do unto others because they don't believe what you do,and everyone who doesn't agree with us is going to Hell! Our church is the One and Only Church! All others are wrong!
It's a sad world that we live in today, filled with so much hate and violence towards others, I'm glad that I have books like this. They give me hope and fill my heart with peace. They move me to start communing with our Heavenly Mother and Father again when I have become slack. They make me want to worship nature and take a look with new eyes at the beauty in the world that They created all around us.
It breaks my heart to see so many people that have no tolerance for people that don't believe what they do. Just like some reader wrote, wondering what God was going to say to Sue Monk Kidd, I couldn't help but wonder the same thing about them. Will God ask them why they were filled with so much hate, so much judgement, and so much intolerance for others? If so, I wonder what their answers will be. "We were just doing it for you, God!" He's crying for them already because they just don't get what Christianity was meant to be.
I LOVE Sue Monk Kidd books and will continue to read them. I'm so happy that she has found such a wonderful spiritual place for herself in this universe! I also hope that she continues to write about her feelings and comes through with a few more inspired fiction works as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, July 26, 2011
This review is from: God's Joyful Surprise: Finding Yourself Loved (Paperback)
I wanted to enhance my daily walk with God and once again, Sue has been extremely helpful with that. She writes so down to earth. She writes about the emptiness that comes before our surrender and then how joy filled and wonderful the journey can be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book!, June 9, 2014
This review is from: God's Joyful Surprise: Finding Yourself Loved (Paperback)
This book is full of joy!!! Sue Monk Kidd has given me so much to think about! I would love to sit down and have a conversation with her at my kitchen table. What a comforting, comfortable book.

5.0 out of 5 stars God's Joyful Surprise, September 29, 2012
This review is from: God's Joyful Surprise: Finding Yourself Loved (Paperback)
We are reading this together in my book club and we are all being touched very deeply by her insights.

3.0 out of 5 stars a letdown from secret life of bees!, July 11, 2007

4.0 out of 5 stars Oddly Interesting, September 12, 2008
This review is from: God's Joyful Surprise: Finding Yourself Loved (Paperback)
This book was written while the author was still a traditional Christian. It is my understanding that she has gone on to write things that conflict with the Bible and the teachings of Jesus. Consequently, this book can serve as a warning because at the time this book came out her insights were quite good.

She has some helpful insight on praying continually. In essence it has to do with being conscious of God's presence all the time and sharing life as it is lived with Him. Chronologically she begins her journey by describing that she was overwhelmed with busyness, trying to please people and "earn" points with God. She took time to reflect on life in a spiritual community and initially was challenged in living out the peace she experienced there in the hectic world to which she returned.

If she had maintained orthodox Christian beliefs she could have be used greatly in helping people to connect with God. However when one reads of the anti Christian vain philosophies of man she has advocated it is sad to see how such a gifted communicator could be deceived.

God's Joyful Surprise: Finding Yourself Loved
God's Joyful Surprise: Finding Yourself Loved by Sue Monk Kidd (Paperback - February 28, 1989)
$13.99 $11.82