5.0 out of 5 stars Pageantry and danger in ancient Judah...
Published on October 21, 2006 by Ruth Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but tons of typos
Published on July 4, 2011 by Tx mama

5.0 out of 5 stars Pageantry and danger in ancient Judah..., October 21, 2006
Hezekiah, prince of Judah, lives in a kingdom under siege from hostile forces within and without. His father, King Ahaz, has abandoned the worship of Yahweh and led his nation into idolatry. Gods & Kings chronicles Hezekiah's coming of age, detailing his turbulent childhood when he saw his father sacrifice his older brother Eliab to the pagan god Molech. Overwhelmed by fear, Hezekiah first encounters the life-changing touch of God through the love and teaching of his grandfather, Zechariah, a Levitical priest. These seeds of faith are all that Hezekiah has to guide him in a kingdom threatened by invasion and corrupted by idolatry. But surrounded by threats to his very existance, can he hope to survive and be given the chance to change the future of his country?

This is one of the best biblical fiction series out there, easily on par with Angela Hunt's Legacies of the Ancient River series. I don't feel that Austin's writing is as strong or her characters quite as well-developed as is evident in her later books (such as the Christy award-winning novels Candle in the Darkness and Fire By Night), but that's a very minor issue. Austin does an excellent job bringing the world of ancient Judah to life in all of its color, pageantry, danger, and intrigue. She breathes fresh life into the character of Hezekiah, creating a flesh-and-blood man whose struggles and weaknesses make his triumphs as one of Judah's greatest kings all the more inspiring. And the book lives up to perhaps the best measure of whether or not biblical fiction succeeds or fails - it inspires study of the actual biblical text.

When reading this book (incidentally this was my second time), I was struck by how timely the story felt. Hezekiah was one small drop in an overwhelming sea of danger and false gods, but God used his life to literally change the course of an entire nation and people. So read, study, and be inspired as Austin helps to bring to life the truth of 2 Chronicles 7:14 -- "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Better Christian Fiction Books, April 6, 2012
This review is from: Gods and Kings: Chronicles of the Kings #1: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
In my opinion, most religious fiction is not very good as everyone is just too nice or the scenes just aren't realistic as it's not "Christian" to write about how people really are. Lynn Austin, on the other hand, does a really nice job of fictionalizing a brief passage of the Bible into a full-length novel, and gets you into the heads of the characters. The imagery and scenery are very realistic and, for example, I could imagine me walking the dusty streets of the Middle Ages. The thing that struck me the most was this book really got me thinking and getting more out of the story than a random section of the 28th chapter of the book of Second Chronicles and makes me want to read the next one in the series: with the volume of books I read on a monthly basis, having one stick with me and recalling various sections of the book long after I read it (about a month ago) is, to me, impressive and tells me this was really a good book.

I initially got this book during a Kindle free promotion and, as I write this review, the price is now $5.38 in the Amazon Kindle store - you will certainly get a lot more than $5.38 in entertainment value if you get this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars This series really bring situations in the Bible "to life", May 18, 2007
Every now and then, I enjoy "escaping reality" by reading a good Scriptural (and historical) based novel. I purchased the first book, "Gods and Kings" at a discount store, not even knowing that it was part of a series, and could not wait until I found it's sequels! I have read all 5 of the "Chronicles of the Kings" series and I hope that Lynn Austin writes more sequels to this particular series.

I did get a bit confused at Amazon's website while looking for the rest of this series, so I am going to list them here in order for the convenience of future buyers:

book 1 "Gods And Kings"

book 2 "Songs Of Redemption"

book 3 "The Strength Of His Hand"

book 4 "Faith Of My Fathers"

book 5 "Among The Gods"

Another author whose sequel I am eagerly awaiting is Ellen Gunderson Traylor's "Jerusalem The City Of God - Part Two", also set in Old Testament times. These types of books really "take you back in time" to the way that things really were.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want the Bible to come alive, this is the book for you!, October 18, 2005
I loved this book (series) because not only was it a very interesting read, but more importantly because it gave me such a good insight into life during the Old Testament. The stories of Kings Ahaz, Hezekiah, and Manassah have never been so real to me as when I read that book. I will never again read the Biblical accounts the same way!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Historical Read!, November 20, 2004
Ms. Austin has taken the reader on a journey back into time weaving truth with fiction in such a way that she has managed to pen a read that is not only descriptive but good as well.

This is the story of Hezekiah who will eventually assume the role of king as a descendent of King David. This story opens with Hezekiah as a young boy and we grow with him as he faces many challenges to both his life, and his faith. His father is King Ahaz, and he has plotted to sacrifice Hezekiah in order to gain the favor of the gods, and win the war that has currently decimated his army and killed his own brother. Hezekiah's mother Abijah will do all that she can to spare her last son from his father's evil machinations. She has only two men that she can rely on, but can she trust them to save her beloved son?

Hezekiah is destined for great things and manages to survive his childhood but he is now a man and the dangers to him have not dissipated. He is now King, and his mother and his wife, two women that love Hezekiah, must now stand back, and wait to see if his faith is strong enough to help him survive the treachery and violence that surrounds him. Will he be strong enough to stand by his beliefs and save his country?

This was a very moving read as well as being very descriptive. Fans of Christian novels will find no fault with this vivid story and characters. Ms. Austin has managed to bring the Old Testament to life in a way that is not only entertaining, but educational as well.

Official Reviewer for [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Gods and Kings, January 2, 2006
I couldn't put this book down. Went out a few days later to purchase the next one. I am now on Book 5. My husband is now reading them. He loves them too. I hope the series continues. The story that I have heard before in the Old Testament comes to life. The characters are wonderful. Start reading you will not be dissappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but tons of typos, July 4, 2011
This book is really interesting and well written but there are so many typos. Some are just missing punctuation that are easy to over look but there are also words missing in some paragraphs that are really frustrating and confusing. It really disrupts the flow of the book. I'd love to read the rest of the series but I hesitate to pay money for such poor quality. I'm glad this one was free. I reported the errors so hopefully they will look into it because this is a really good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Captivating Read!, July 29, 2007
The Chronicles of the Kings series are THE BEST Biblical novels I have ever read. Lynn Austin's writing is so captivating, you won't be able to put the book down! While reading this series, I actually had to make myself not even touch the book before I went to work - because several times I did just that, lost all track of time and wound up arriving late to work!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it. It really fleshes out certain Biblical characters and events, enabling you to really feel involved with the Biblical accounts. They become more than just words on a page in a history book - they become living, breathing people that really walked this earth. I was pleased that the author stayed very true to the Bible. I have read novels in this genre before that took great liberties with the facts as presented in the Bible. I did not feel that this was one of those. In fact, the author uses direct quotes from the Bible at all times when the prophets delivered their prophecies! At the front of the book, the author lists the scriptures used to write the story and encourages you to study it more deeply.

This is a well-written, page-turning, true-to-the-Word book that will keep you reading for hours and deepen your appreciation for God's love and grace. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe inspiring!, June 18, 2011
K. Molloy "mamaof3girls" (Virginia, United States) - See all my reviews
This book was awesome, in the truest sense of the word. The writing was so fantastic, I was unable to put it down and stayed up half the night for 2 consecutive days to finish it. It brought the Old Testament to life in a way that you don't find often. Despite the fact that I try to limit my Kindle reading to the free stuff, I have already bought book 2 and can't wait to start!

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful Story and Timeless Biblical Truths, March 6, 2008
I have always been very skeptical of "biblical fiction" because creative license can border on heresy if the writer is not careful, so I reluctantly purchased Gods & Kings the first book in Lynn Austin's Chronicles of the Kings series. Wow, was I pleasantly surprised! Ms. Austin has taken a few meaningful lines of old testament Scripture and brought them to life with believeable dialogue and suspenseful plots that although speculative, do not contradict biblical truths and bring honor and glory to our GOD. The way she describes how the Israelites under the rule of King Ahaz slowly and steadily turned from the one and true GOD and allowed idol worship to appease other nations, it is very easy to see parallels with our society today and it is very sobering! However, instead of leaving us with a feeling of doom and despare, Lynn gives us hope through the young Prince Hezekiah and a handful of faithful prophets of GOD -- it is not too late to wake up America!

I look forward to reading all the books in the Chronicals of the Kings series, and hope she continues to write stories about the old and new testament.