3,878 Reviews
 (3,106)

Published 6 months ago by aaron

3.0 out of 5 stars Superficial ending to an otherwise decent movie.
Warning - Spoilers ahead.

Published 3 months ago by John B. Connor

5.0 out of 5 stars Gods Not Dead, a good film, but couldve spent some more time in the Classroom., June 7, 2014
This review is from: God's Not Dead (Amazon Instant Video)
Before i get into my review of the film itself, i first fell the need to address many of the negative comments people have raised about this film being to one sided/biased. To those people all I have to say is this, why the heck are you so shocked that a film entitled, Gods Not Dead, is Biased towards the existence of god, seriously its like if someone went to a Jewish cultural center and got angry that most of the people their were in favor of the state of Israel!

With that out of the way I genuinely enjoyed this film and the arguments it made while debating the existence of god, although I think one of the major problems of the film was how it constantly jumped around from various characters points of view as opposed to spending more time inside of the classroom. To put it simply, I wish that they had spent more time on the debate inside of the classroom as opposed to focusing on several of the periphery characters which, while interesting, lacked relevance to the central storyline of the film itself.

In conclusion, while the film is in no way perfect, I came out of the theater's intellectually satisfied and would recommend both this films, as well as the book of the same name which addresses other arguments for the existence of god, to anyone who is interested in this increasingly important discussion.

And in case anyone is interested on my own feelings on the matter, it could be summed up in the following statement.

"The more I study science the more I believe in God" - Dr. Albert Einstein

3.0 out of 5 stars Superficial ending to an otherwise decent movie., September 10, 2014
This review is from: God's Not Dead (DVD)
Warning - Spoilers ahead.

This is a decent enough movie for most of its runtime and would normally have earned a 4 out of 5 from me. In case you do not already know, it is about a boy defending his Christian faith against a college professor who is an atheist and essentially wants to impose that view on his philosophy class. During the course of the movie, there are subplots involving others dealing with the struggles of their faith, or lack thereof.

What lowers the rating for me is the ending, where all the Christians of the story end up at a Christian rock concert, as if that is the end all be all of what it is to be a Christian. I believe a montage of video clips, depicting the various characters supporting each other and taking strength from their faith (some new found) while facing their difficulties (one dying from cancer, one abandoned by her family, one losing his fiance, and one death) would have been a much more touching and powerful ending. The concert was weak and superficial, with a bunch of text messages sent all over, that does not in any way capture the true value of the Faith. (In fact, one character is a new convert, newly expressing his desire to be a Christian, and the concert is the first place he is taken.)
It just seems to cheapen all the struggles experienced beforehand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good movie, June 2, 2014
This review is from: God's Not Dead (Amazon Instant Video)
I took someone with me who is "not religious at all" and who did not expect to like the movie... he went for the popcorn and soda. He essentially thought, "It has superman and Kevin Sorbo, how bad could it be?" He not only watched it, he liked it. He said it wasn't preachy and the arguments in the classroom were interesting. So, well done, people.

I am waiting for the dvd to come out, and will purchase it as a gift for several families/individuals who are unlikely to have seen the movie. I also ordered the t-shirt, hat, and "bracelet", and cup. The last two items have been given as gifts already, one to a friend going through a challenge, and the other to someone entering a hospital.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something worth watching, August 9, 2014
Dad (Heber City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
Restores my hope in humanity. It is encouraging to see that there are still many believers, including the producers of this show. With so much smut and garbage in the media it is refreshing to watch an uplifting and wholesome show. Great watch and great message.

5.0 out of 5 stars not in dumps any more, August 8, 2014
This review is from: God's Not Dead (DVD)
Bus driver asked how christmas was. Said stayed home watching dvd andromeda. He never heard of it. Told him about it & said kevin sorbo at that he told me about this film which he just saw. Sounded good & i pre ordered it.
Just saw it. Wow. It hit home. I cried about amy cancer & has no one. Nov age 60 had just been diagnosed with myotonic dystropy. Cause of things & my heart have less than 10 yrs to live. Everybody left me. I have nobody. Went into the dumps.
Most important thing i got out of the film is-the reminder ive still got God & Jesus they are my strengh & will help me get through it. In dumps no more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, April 16, 2014
Multiple plot lines winding together towards a satisfying conclusion is, to me, the best straightforward storytelling a movie can offer. This movie does that very well, and each character is interesting, if sometimes a little stereotypical. There is a strong Christian message, everyone should know that from the title, but it is not preachy in a eye-rolling or cheesy way. The diverse experiences of Americans, immigrants, and a diverse cross section of society portrayed in the movie, as they react to a "living" God is inspiring and thought provoking.

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this movie, August 19, 2014
I enjoyed this movie. I thought the premise of the movie has needed to be done. It is a "make a statement movie" no doubt about that. A bit rushed in reality timeline 3 weeks to accomplish this task ... maybe a school year ... but what does that matter... a bit corny at times but again ok with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Movie, April 14, 2014
This review is from: God's Not Dead (Amazon Instant Video)
This was the most inspiring movie my husband and I have seen in years!!! We are going again and again and taking others! The crowd in the theater ranged from teenagers to elderly and the positive comments that were expressed during the movie were fantastic! I have never heard a movie audience respond (positive response) like they did at this movie. Even the young people younger than teenagers that we know brought up points they picked from the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make your own mind up, September 30, 2014
John Airey (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God's Not Dead (DVD)
I have already seen this movie 4 times and will be buying the DVD although I might have to wait until the European release later this year.

Those that criticise it and call themselves Christians should ask themselves why they are being so critical. It is after all a dramatisation of events, it might not tick all your boxes but this movie made money at the Box Office whilst Noah remains a Box Office flop. The production quality is high and it should receive awards for cinematography. The story is dramatically told and I would also recommend the book that accompanies the movie.

Don't let other people decide on your opinion of this movie, see it for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Each of the issues could have easily taken whole time to fully explore, September 12, 2014
This review is from: God's Not Dead (DVD)
There was a lot of moral issues packed into this movie for its short length. Each of the issues could have easily taken whole time to fully explore. Instead glimpses of the different personalities and lifestyles were given to show their perspective on the issue which Professor wanted his students to sign acceptance contracts with him that God is nonexistent. The story is primarily about the one student who refused to sign that statement and is challenged by the professor to prove that God exists. From the very beginning, the student acknowledges that Christians cannot PROVE God exists anymore than non-christians can prove He does not exist or never existed. The question is how much "proof" is necessary for people to "BELIEVE" by choice, and the class acts as the jury examining both the case presented by the Professor and the Christian Student. I did not particularly focus on the background stories of the voting students as I only needed a sketch to see from where there perspective was coming. Each of those students could have had their own story in a saga. I found the arguments presented by the Christian student very interesting and enlightening for any young Christian being challenged in the world today, especially in schools, to take note. The ending of the movie was not particularly beneficial except to point out that the decision is personal one and never too late, but in all honesty my interest in the movie was the "jury trial" and arguments. I think young people watching this movie may well find some facts to research and ammunition to use in defending their faith when necessary, especially in the halls of higher learning. Then ending could have been much more realistic in informing that presence of a Pastor is not necessary to accept the gift of salvation. However, in my opinion, it certainly did make the point that ministers are not necessarily more reverent than members of their congregation--they are only human just like everyone else, and we should not expect them to be perfect. I find this an excellent teaching tool for young adults who may be challenged by the world they live in and intimidated by having different opinions from highly educated persons around them It does not deal with all the questions people pose about Virgin Birth, parting of the Red Sea, etc. It simply deals with reasons to believe in God and reasons why we should not allow the highly educated teaching staff dictate such decisions in our life. There is a lot for family or classroom discussion.

God's Not Dead