5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful DVD
Published on March 4, 2007 by Brian Xee

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative, but overacted
This tells the account of a remarkable man. I was not pleased with the lead actor. The emotional level was not varied enough to make his performance as good as it could have been. The supporting cast was better and they make the film as good as it is. The direction was good, and the scenes of translation of the Bible into English are very well done
Published on December 15, 2008 by Sgt. Bilko

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful DVD, March 4, 2007
Brian Xee (EAST HANOVER, NJ, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God's Outlaw: The Story of William Tyndale (DVD)
I got this DVD without much expectation. I like to learn, but that usually means tolerating bad films, especially when talking about a film about the 1500's. To my surprize the acting was wonderful, also the scenery was done so well. Everything about this film was great, and I found it to be accurate. I am very surprized how well they did this DVD. It is also very eye opening to see how the translation of the Bible to English came about, and who tried to supress it. With things like the Internet, and DVD technology, the real truth of History is coming to the surface.

5.0 out of 5 stars Church History, April 6, 2004
"par4him" (MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God's Outlaw: The Story of William Tyndale (DVD)
This movie acurately tells the story of how the Bible came to the english speaking world. Today so many of us own a Bible written in english yet seldom read it. Here you will see the passion of William Tyndale a linguistic scholar whose heart drove him forward with out regard for his own personal safety in the face of cruel persecution. A must see for anyone interested in knowing the truth of how God's word came to us in english!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you appreciate the Bible and the God who inspired it., February 1, 2007
H. Rosario "hectoros" (Wichita, the air capital) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God's Outlaw: The Story of William Tyndale (DVD)
This dvd is probably one of the best among the historical Christian figures dvd out there (i.e. Wycliffe; Candle in the Dark; etc...). I thought the other ones were of lower quality and script. This one has some fewer cheesy scenes and is more engaging. Better scripted and truer to how this historical characters were perceived at the time. It was inspiring to see this young man struggling through this nightmare without missing his passion for God and others. His purpose was for us being able to read God inspiring text for our own personal liberation but church wanted to keep its monopoly of their own controlling interpretation. To me faith is not a mental thought but rather this kind of perseverance. Furthermore it inspires me to see a Creator that wants to be known beyond religion, church, or our own human inventions in order to benefit us with true Life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, inspiring movie- a must see!, September 18, 2007
This review is from: God's Outlaw: The Story of William Tyndale (DVD)
I watched this with my children to supplement our study of history and the Reformation. This film is well-done, and historically gets you into the time period. What stood out most to me was the superb characterization of the man William Tyndale. The acting was top-notch, riveting! I was impacted by the passion of Tyndale for common people to have the Word of God in their own language- he was martyred for this passion and stood firmly and joyfully to the end. I was deeply moved. Great for discussion with your family. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Missing Link for the King James Version, January 10, 2011
G. Max Gooding (Miami, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God's Outlaw (DVD)
Historical Overview:

Most Bible believers are familiar with the King James Version of the Bible as their main source when it comes to the scriptures. Some even would speak in old English in order to sound holy, using a lot of 'thee', 'thy' and 'thou' when they speak. However, little if any mention is ever made of William Tyndale (1494 - 1536).

Mr Tyndale was a scholar and translator, using Greek, Latin and Hebrew texts and dictionaries; he was the second person (after John Wycliffe and his associates, who used the Vulgate) to translate considerable portions of the Bible into English. He gained some of his inspiration from Martin Luther, who had translated the Bible into German.

The scholars, who eventually were responsible for the production of the King James Version of the Bible, relied heavily upon Tyndale's work.

Film Production:

This film takes you back in time. The music, costumes, buildings and backgrounds all ring of the 16th century. This film was carefully produced and the care and attention to details must be noted. At that time, it was illegal to recite portions of scripture in English, and to have a portion of the Bible in English in your possession was a serious crime. I am so glad that we live in a time and age where you can freely own and read a Bible... Thank God!

Strangely enough, there is only one scene where Tyndale is seen preaching to a small crowd, the focus is really on the translating and distribution efforts. Additionally, of interest is the maneuverings of the religious and state leaders of that day, as they tried to keep the English people in ignorance of God's Word.

Conclusion:

I thank God for Mr Tyndale's work, and I know that he has a martyr's crown for laying down his life for the Gospel's sake. This is a very significant part of Church history that must not be forgotten, I recommend this film, very strongly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tyndale and the English Bible, March 24, 2007
Oecolampadius (Marion, Arkansas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God's Outlaw: The Story of William Tyndale (DVD)
This one is well done and deserves a place in the Christian's library. The history is nicely set forth. The action shifts from England to Antwerp. Interactive scenes between Henry VIII and Thomas More are interesting. Thomas More is older and less a convincing figure of contention than in A Man for All Seasons.

Very well, but THIS movie is about John Tyndale [1492-1536] and the writing of the Bible in English. The English church, then Roman Catholic, opposed this with the excuse that the common people couldn't handle the scriptural intricacies. They are depicted by some very nasty looking and evil acting characters. This all soon changed when Henry VIII needed a male heir to the throne and perhaps a new wife as well. Hence, the Anglican Church -

This production is a high recommendation. It is nicely handled. Historically, it is significant and worthy for instruction of the times. By the way, I will also recommend the book, The Bible in English by David Daniell. This one is straight scholarship by a non-Christian academic but worthy for the data.

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative, but overacted, December 15, 2008

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, June 2, 2008
This review is from: God's Outlaw: The Story of William Tyndale (DVD)
After reading all the great reviews, I was anxious to receive this DVD. I love religious history, especially of the reformation. I love the stories of Wycliffe and Tyndale, and the books I have read about them I couldn't put down. This DVD lacks the intrigue and suspense of the story. I fell asleep about two-thirds of the way through it. The date says 2004, but it appears to be much older. I think that must be the date that the DVD was released, and probably it was actually filmed in the 80s (just my guess). The background music is very annoying. (An attempt, I think at using period music, but it doesn't work for setting the tone and emotional feel of the film.) Maybe my expectations were too high, but I thought this would be of the same caliber as the recent Luther DVD starring Fiennes. Unfortunately it wasn't even close.

4.0 out of 5 stars god's outlaw, February 13, 2009
This review is from: God's Outlaw: The Story of William Tyndale (DVD)
The problem with this movie is simple.This man was such an important man to God's work that the makers should have not cut corners in the telling. Too much left out! I would still recommend it to anyone who doesn't know the story behind the English bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Church History, June 1, 2007
This review is from: God's Outlaw: The Story of William Tyndale (DVD)
The history of the church comes alive in this DVD. There are many stories that need to be told in context of traditions and customs. This DVD will assist Bible Study classes.

God's Outlaw: The Story of William Tyndale