5.0 out of 5 stars Healing for the mind and soul
Published on August 26, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars God's Psychiatry
I could not really connect with all the stories the author relates, the analogies are good, it is well written in simple-today English.
Published 11 months ago by Irma L. Petersen

5.0 out of 5 stars Healing for the mind and soul, August 26, 2000
By A Customer
The book "God's Psychiatry" is the most empowering book I have ever read. Through the understading of the 23rd Psalm, The Ten Commandents, The Lord's prayer, and the Beatitudes I found a much clearer understanding of who God is and my relationship with him. I am much more confident and happy for having read this book and I believe that any Christian who has ever been wounded in mind or spirit would benefit from this book. I have ordered three more copies of this book which I am sending to family and friends because I think it will be so helpful.
I recommend this book wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Couch of God, September 3, 1999
This review is from: God's Psychiatry (Mass Market Paperback)
I recommend "God's Psychiatry" to all people, and especially to high school students.
EXCERPT FROM BOOK: "Temptation most often comes first as thoughts. In the secret places of our minds we dramatize and act out the thoughts. We read books that describe wickedness, we play with emotional dynamite as if it were a harmless toy. We get ourselves into dangerous situations and enjoy being there. We keep the wrong company."
This book was copyrighted in 1953 and is still relative today; school violence. We can add television shows, movies, video games, internet sites, music videos, and more to the list of misused media outlets. We keep the wrong company and sometimes don't even realize the lust for temptation in our hearts. "God's Psychiatry" is a plain written companion to the reading of the scriptures. Thank you God for enabeling Charles L. Allen to produce this work. Amen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Prozac, God's Psychiatry is the right prescription., May 14, 2001
This review is from: God's Psychiatry (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a simple book that outlines the Bible's rules for mental health. It starts with an enlightened interpretation of Psalm 23 (The lord is my sheperd...)and moves on to the Ten Commandments, The Lord's Prayer, and the Beatitudes found in Matthew.
What is most impressive about this book is that it sticks to the true meaning of the scriptures without getting too caught up in the author's own opinion. The author's insights and examples shed light on how these writings apply to today's problems. This book was written in 1953 and is still fresh, today. This short, practical book is the most useful self-help book that I've ever read (and I've read a bunch). You'll marvel at how these simple truths can really change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspiring insight into life as God intended it !, May 10, 1997
This review is from: God's Psychiatry (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read this book over and over and have continued to be inspired and uplifted in my Christian walk. I have taken notes and probably copied down a third of the text and committed it to heart. I highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in psychiatry or desiring a closer relationship with God and your fellow man. After all, we were created by God, so it's not surprising that life changing rules come from Him and His Word. I believe all successful psychiatry could be traced to the principles found in the Bible

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and Healing!, October 30, 2003
We're reminded that as Christians, God is with us and "There is power in His presence." God is active in the lives of believers. He told us He would be. "Ability, talents, opportunity, material resources are really not ours. They are God's investments in us. And like any wise investor, God expects dividends," the author tell us. What He expects, we're told, for one thing, is to serve others. Bernard Shaw is quoted as saying, "A gentleman is one who puts more into life than he takes out."
The next time you're unjustly criticized, consider what he says about the source of such comments. "It is a sure sign of an inferiority complex when a person tells of the faults of another."
On significance, he tells us that no one was born apart from the will of God, that we existed in the mind of God before we were physically formed in the womb.
Faith is a necessary component of the Christian life. William Carey is quoted from a sermon he gave in 1992, "Expect great things from God, attempt great things for God."
Examples of Jesus meeting practical daily needs are presented. The author couples this with inner longings and desires and writes, "...He (Jesus) knows we have desires and wants beyond our bare necessities. We are not wild beasts."
Near the conclusion he has a quote worth pondering. It helps a person see beyond self. Allen writes, "No person ever really lives until he has found something worth dying for."
This book will improve you life. It will help you to connect with everlasting realities. Its truths will transform your perceptions. You thoughts will be healthy as you medidate on its precepts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, October 17, 2010
This review is from: God's Psychiatry (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a Licensed Professional Counselor. I first bought this book about 15 years ago. I am still buying it and giving it to my clients. My favorite part is the section on The 23 Psalm. It takes the psalm and breaks it into sections and explains what this means to the sheep. It shows the care that the Shepherd, Jesus, takes of His sheep and what effects it has on the sheep. I take the images of the Shepherd and how these actions would make the sheep feel cared for and protected and relaxed and comforted and put them into a mental picture or movie. Then when I am afraid or upset, I recite in my mind the 23 Psalm and picture the green pastures, and the still waters and the valley of the shadow of death where His rod and staff comfort me, and I am able to relax and rest in the assurance that God is in control and He is watching over me.
The other sections are very good too. Explaining in laymen's terms what each section means. Very well written and thought out. Excellent book and a great therapy for the mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book to be Shared!, January 18, 2007
This review is from: God's Psychiatry (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by a friend. I had her book first and loved the feeling I had when I read it so I bought one for myself. I gave mine to my sis and bought me another. If you have a heavy heart, you need this book and if you want to FEEL GOD present in your life. Keep it close to you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enlightened selflessness?, April 9, 2010
This review is from: God's Psychiatry (Mass Market Paperback)
Mr. Allen, with the title, and the book, promotes the notion that God offers us mental health. We wouldn't be surprised he holds that view, he is, or was, a pastor and the son of a pastor; he's long had an opportunity to consider faith.
Although there are relatively few and relatively inexhaustive reviews here, the greatest majority are enthusiastic; the book has gone through numerous editions in its nearly 60 years.
If one were to try to boil down what would be helpful to know about the God we can know through the Bible, perhaps covering the 23rd Psalm, the 10 Commandments, The Lord's Prayer and the Beatitudes, as he does here, couldn't be improved upon. God as loving caretaker, as commander, as Creator Father and ultimate lover covers a lot of ground beautifully.
I think the missing ingredient here is the dark side. Since Jesus himself, the opinion of non-Christians has been the impression not of mental health but insanity. Jesus had God, but he also had the cross. Paul rejoiced in suffering for God. For Him to increase, we must decrease.
This book was not designed to rock the congregation's boat.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIFE SAVER!!!, February 19, 2014
This book was loaned to me. It had duct tape holding it together. I was in intense pain due to RA. Reading this book, literally saved my life! I was ready to call it quits!! And now, if I run into someone having a rough time, I give them a copy of this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Meat and potaoes for the soul, February 14, 2014
This review is from: God's Psychiatry (Mass Market Paperback)
A friend loaned me her 1960's copy of this book and I had to have one for my library. This is a good basic primer for anyone who wants to go deeper into four basics of our Christian faith, the 23rd Psalm, the Ten Commandments, the Lord's Prayer, and the Beatitudes. It is written for the lay person and easily understood but it is filled with meat and potatoes for the soul.

God's Psychiatry
God's Psychiatry by Charles Livingstone Allen (Mass Market Paperback - May 1, 1997)
$5.99