on September 25, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I purchased this book for my mother. This is her review of the book: Very encouraging and insightful- as expected when reading Max Lucado books. He gives the reader hope that being "ordinary" matters to God and that he can use us for greater things, even though we sometimes feel insignificant. I hope this is one of many more Max Lucado books.
on October 9, 2011
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
The masterful Max Lucado clearly touches hearts and souls as he seeks to make God's story my own. The power of the Gospel comes through clearly, lovingly and forcefully in every chapter. Some chapters took longer to read, however, because I was wiping tears from my eyes. An amazingly powerful book that draws one into the heart of God.
on October 27, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I bought the ebook and read it, now I am going to buy the regular book because there are many things I want to underline for future reference. It is an excellent book and it explains some things that I probably knew, but never thought about. I would recommend this book for anyone.
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
"Make his story your story, and your story takes on a happy ending."

Max Lucado excels at descriptive writing and has a real talent for recreating Bible stories so they have a much more human appeal. In this book he begins gently with a cozy story of his grandmother sharing her stories and pictures with him as a child. He them makes the point that we all need to know where we come from and explains how we can't find out our story from just looking inside ourselves.

While Satan gets one chapter - mostly a warning to Christians, Jesus gets the rest of the book. Max Lucado writes with such love and respect you can't help loving Jesus even more.

While this book is mostly serious there were a few moments when Max got a giggle out of me. The stories he tells also made me long to be, as he says, "a conduit of extraordinary grace."

What a beautiful book. This is by far my favorite Max Lucado book and I've read quite a few. This book has a comforting message that will give Christians hope and a longing for their real home in heaven.

~The Rebecca Review
Format: Hardcover
GOD'S STORY YOUR STORY

When His Becomes Yours

By Max Lucado

When I open my heart to God He will rewrite the story of my life. Everyone wants to know where they came from and that is why God gave us His story - the Bible. The key message to the entire Bible is found in John 3:16 - God loved and He gave to the world, He loved and gave to us, His Son so that we could experience Him. He gave us a way out the sinful life if we choose to make His story ours.

Jesus was born into our everyday world so that we would be able to relate to Him. The Bible is His story but Satan wants to keep us from reading it. The devil is a divider and he divided humanity from God with the temptation in Eden. But God in His love planned a way to bridge this divide - His Son Jesus Christ.

When we face times of trial and testing by Satan we are being strengthened and purified for our life with God. Satan attacks our weaknesses so we must take them before God for strengthening. He has given us His Word - the Bible to strengthen and protect us in our battle against Satan.

Everyone longs for home, but our home is not earthly it is heavenly and our life is our journey home to our Father. But often times we try to change the route that God has given us to get there. We sin and try to make up for it by creating a "work system". The cross and forgiveness are the way, but instead we take the detour of work over God and His story of redemption. Jesus took our sins on Himself so we have no need to look for detours of works, we just need to believe and accept what God has given us - redemption, forgiveness, and His righteousness.

What the world views as our final chapter - death is but the introduction to our life when we've made God's story our story! Jesus' victory over death is our victory and our path to everlasting life.

When we believe God shares His power with us, but there are times when we don't draw on His Spirit. When we are drawing on His Spirit we are filled with the Fruit of the Spirit found in Galatians 5:22-23. We must wait for the Spirit's leading when we go blindly on our own way we run into blocked paths and closed doors. God is telling us, "No!" and when He says no it is for our good protecting us from something we can't see or so that we may do something greater.

Through every difficulty or challenge we face God is working it to our betterment. We must remember that when we reach our home - Heaven sin will be no more, pain and sickness will be a forgotten memory as we are made new!

Book includes a discussion guide which will help the reader to delve deeper into the topic discussed in God's Story Your Story.

Advanced Reader Copy provided in Digital Format by the publisher for reviewing purposes.
on December 2, 2011
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Each of us is living out our own story. For most of us, the characters have been revealed, the theme is pretty evident, and the setting, while it may change from time to time, is established. The plot, however, can leave us bewildered and wondering if there is a reason for the chaos and confusion that surround us. Who would write such a story? What kind of writer would leave their main characters in such turmoil, facing one trial after another and dealing with insurmountable odds? A good one!

We all know what makes up a good story. Good versus evil. Danger around every turn. Tragedy and triumph. Scenes that leave us wiping our tears or perched on the edge of our seats. These traits merge together to form the perfect story -- that is, until we find ourselves as the main characters. But never fear, for the Author of our story knows exactly how everything will work out in the end. He has the story planned out, and it's not over until He writes, "The End".

I've never picked up a Max Lucado book that I didn't like, and this one was certainly no exception. From page one until the final chapter, I was enthralled by the web of hope and encouragement Lucado weaves. He equates our lives to a story and God as its author. Each page demonstrates God's love and grace in helping us to live out our stories even when we don't understand the twists and turns. Through the Scripture, and with his unrivaled wit, Lucado reminds us that God is in control. He is not writing out our story; it's already written. He knows the outcome and every trial we may face along the journey. He knows and understands each character, and He has placed each one in the proper setting. With every word, I was encouraged that not only does God know what I'm going through, but He also cares.

If I had to pick out one negative in the book it would be the way that Lucado blurs the rapture and the second coming of the Lord into one event instead of two distinct events. I prefer a clearer distinction between the two, but the important fact was made quite clear: Jesus is coming back, and those who are saved will rise up to meet Him in the air, and that is only the beginning of our eternal lives with Him.

If you're looking for the perfect gift for a loved one, offer them this item of hope, encouragement and comfort. It's a must-read for Christians at any stage in their Christian walk.
on October 6, 2011
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Max Lucado's smooth teaching style and personal stories make this book readable and relevant. This book teaches the reader that your story is God's story! God cares about every detail of your life and your life matters!

If you are looking for the purpose and sustaining drive to do something for God, this book is a good read. It tugs on your heartstrings and convicts the reader to do more than just read it,but also to act! Once you know that you are significant, you must do something: "with great power comes great resposibility."

listed on Spirit Filled Kindle
on January 2, 2012
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Do yourself a favor and read this book. I tried for a while to think of a word to describe how it made me feel and triumphant is one word that comes to mind. This book is so hopeful and uplifting. I was in tears through much of the book, but they were tears of gratitude to my Savior & Creator, tears of joy and tears of feeling like maybe I understand the big picture a little bit better. Honestly I did not used to like Max Lucado so much. His books felt a bit too "fluffy" for my taste, although I always thought they had nice messages. This book is a home run. Mr. Lucado really brought the Gospel to life for me and used much scripture reference (which I like). He is becoming, in my mind, one of the great theologians of our time.
on January 31, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I don't normally read religious books, but from the very beginning this book grabbed me. I moved me in ways that I could not have imagined and was often brought to tears. Well worth reading.
on December 30, 2011
Format: Kindle Edition
I was completely engrossed in this book from start to finish. This is Max Lucado's best book to date. I appreciated each and every story that was shared in the book, and I found myself near tears many times.

I think the thing that struck me the most is that the emphasis of the book is that God is there in every single circumstance, and He is guiding you through the hard times. All of us go through struggles. Some of us live a life fraught with struggles. Does that mean that God is not in control? Absolutely not!

There was a time I did not like Max Lucado. I used to feel that he did not dig deeply into the wisdom of the Scriptures. I am happy to report that is not longer the case! In recent years, Lucado has delved so deeply into the Word of God, and he always brings encouragement even in the midst of utter chaos. Everything happens for a reason, and everyone is here for a purpose.

This is an easy read written in Lucado's fantastically readable style. You will find true encouragement as you surrender your will to the Lord of the universe!

This book was provided to me free of charge in exchange for my honest review. I was not financially compensated in any way, and all opinions are 100 percent mine.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations