Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on June 9, 2003
This book is a real find. The illustrations are so boyish yet sweet. The print, at 4 lines and rhyming, will keep their attention. With 3 boys, we can relate to it and will enjoy it for years to come. Geared to younger boys, probably younger than 8. Scripture used is very easy to understand. Covers qualities such as obedience, cheerfulness, being kind, brave and diligent, thankful and responsible, among others.
0Comment|145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2009
This was given as a gift to son on his first birthday. He's almost two now and has invariably brought this book to me when to read. He has many books (secular and spiritual) but this one is THE book for him.
The authors pick out a character trait that they see is very godly and good, and then they make a rhyme out of it. They then find a verse to support this (or maybe they did this the other way 'round?). Each page has a different trait.

The illustrations are wonderful - capturing many things you see boys doing and quite possibly encourges little boys to be like-minded. The pictures have a lot of detail, unlike many modern children's books where the artists often settle for simplified drawings with little or no interesting ambience. I really appreciate that they keep a more traditional method of book-writing for children.
The rhymes are very cute and the idea of encouraging character in children, right from the beginning, may have far-reaching effects! I hope this is so.
Also, my son likes to help and he beams ear to ear when I say, "Thank you, Isaac, you're beeing Helpful - God's little boy is helpful! (Just like one scene in the book)"

I would change two things - for my preferences, however, and those are:

1. I would have quoted from the KJV - the version that the authors use is very watered down and when I compared it with KJV, NIV, or even NASB, the meaning almost changes completely. The ideas are cute, but sometimes is is almost unbiblical.

2. I would have liked to see various little boys of different ethnicicites being "God's little boy". I can imagine some darker-skinned and dark-haired children possibly not being able to identify with this boy. Then again, I was not a little boy, etiher. But you often hear about adults saying that they wondered, "Where's me?" in the literature.
I think the illustrator would not have lost anything by making each picture with a different little boy or alternatively, used a little boy with medium-brown skin and brown hair.

I give this book a four-star rating because of the lack of these two elements, otherwise it would be a five-star.
Thus:
Content: FIVE
Illustration quality: FIVE
Relevenace: FOUR
Biblical accuracy: Three to four.
11 comment|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2003
This is such a nice little book. It is a good book to read when studying character traits with little boys and discussing what kind of boy God wants them to be. The illustrations are beautiful. My children really like this book!
on August 2, 2005
This book is most wonderful. My little son and I enjoy both the exquisite illustrations and the words which inspire us to reach to new heights. Elizabeth George is one of my favorite authors. I read her devotional series, as well as her other books, over and over. Nonetheless, I was rather surprised to find that her children's books live up to her other work. My son and I enjoy looking for the gentle puppy and frog in each picture. We aspire to live according to the truths of Proverbs as found in this gem.
on January 9, 2007
My son and I LOVE to read this book together. We have read it since he was two (he is now 4 and I think we will read it for a LONG time). What a great way to encourage godly character traits in your child. The scripture that goes along each page is great too. I actually made an encouragement chart that is based on the characteristics listed in the book. When he displays responsibility, courage, generosity...he gets a star. When he gets to 5 stars he gets a special time with mom or he can do a craft. He loves it and it helps me to remember to encourage him.
on January 29, 2007
Although these are "character-building truths" taken from Proverbs, this book is great guidance for any little boy anywhere, no matter what religion or lack of. The book is so beautifully done with lovely illustrations, it will appeal to all children and their parents. It isn't preachy at all, but tells each virtue in just four short lines with a proverb to match. My 6-year old grandson was immediately attracted to the book, and read portions of it to me. Another nice thing is that 14 new words to a child are given with their meanings at the back of the book for easy understanding. I highly recommend this book as a gift for your child, grandchild, or your friends with young sons.
on January 22, 2007
Every little boy should have this book. It's awesome. It's a great visual for them to learn to be their best and helps them to really see and understand what the scriptures mean. Don't know what we'd do without this book.
on July 14, 2006
This book is quite fun with all of it's vivid pictures. It makes it's points, which are great ones!, but it doesn't overwhelm the listener/reader! Which I find is very important when reading to boys of different ages. It also starts a lot of great conversations! :D
on February 24, 2013
This is a good starting place to have conversations with my boys about what God expects of them, but each chapter is so very short. The pictures are adorable. I just wish it had a little bit more meat to it. More of a "gift" type book to give to new parent.
on July 17, 2006
I bought this for my 4 and 6 year old boys as a short devotion time in the morning. The boys loved it and actually asked to keep the book up in their rooms now that we have finished it. My 4 year old will say, "mom, I am God's litte boy because I am ...". It has sweet illustrations and takes just a minute to read in the morning. I bought another copy of the book recently to give it to my 4 year old's close friend.