Customer Discussions > The Evolution of God forum

Gods of the majority of humans

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 27, 2009 5:15:43 PM PDT
XRayD says:
If there is evolution, there has to be an origin. What about the God[s], very much with us, of the peoples of Asia for example - that predate the God of the three faiths the book discusses?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2009 4:05:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2009 4:06:36 PM PDT
Wright is wrong about the "evolution" of God, for precisely this reason. Anthropologists have found that peoples around the world (including many cultures in Asia, such as the Chinese) are often aware of a God who resembles the Christian God in detail -- Creator, "father" or "parent" or "mother," righteous, judges evil, cannot be worshipped with idols. This awareness PREDATES the evolution Wright speaks of, and the social structures he attempts to trace that evolution to. Therefore, his thesis is wrong.

The odd thing is, Wright even makes slight mention of this phenomena, then proceeds to ignore it. Karen Armstrong did the same thing in her History of God.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2009 7:03:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 17, 2009 7:07:48 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2009 4:12:22 PM PDT
God originated in the mind of humans. Man made god in his image, with the qualities that man wants in a god. That is why he is different for different cultures.

Posted on Jul 27, 2009 9:01:24 PM PDT
M. Perk says:
The Sun was worshipped from the beginning of man. Different cultures worshipped the Sun by Anthropomorphism, the attribution of uniquely human characteristics to non-human creatures and beings. The Zodiac is an excellent example. Remember, without the Sun, we do not exist. God's Sun.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2009 9:00:49 PM PDT
Shane Smith says:
"Anthropologists have found that peoples around the world (including many cultures in Asia, such as the Chinese) are often aware of a God who resembles the Christian God in detail"

Really? And yet in all the years I have studied philosophy and religion I have never heard of such a thing? Despite looking for it since others have made this claim? I don't suppose you can back that up for me. I would be forever grateful.

Or do you mean only the "shallow" similarities? "Parent" gods? Really? Imagine that! And do they have king gods as well! Fancy! I wonder where that idea could have come from. After all parents are so rare....

Posted on Aug 29, 2009 6:57:50 AM PDT
XRayD says:
Since the subject is the evolution of God, this necessarily must happen in the context of a time line.

If a "Chrstian God" resembled in detail, the gods of other humans (Asian, ancient Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Hebrew, etc. etc.), then clearly, the god of Christianity must have imitated or copied the attributes of these other earlier gods because, How could there be a Chrisian God before Christianity? Or is the earlier world irrelevant?

If the "latest" god is the true god, then did not the Muslim god come after the Christian god? Obviously, only the believer decides who the true god is. Or if there is a god to evolve in the first place!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2009 5:29:51 PM PDT
The Christian god is based on the god of Judaism, as is the Islamic god. Jewish god has several similarities with the other gods of the local area.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jun 27, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 16, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Evolution of God
The Evolution of God by Robert Wright (Paperback - 2009)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (161)