5.0 out of 5 stars Godspell for the New Millennium
Published on February 14, 2012 by M. Schleck

3.0 out of 5 stars Godspell for the Idol Generation
Maybe my title is mean: this is certainly not a bad recording of this wonderful show, it's just ... tidy.

Published on August 8, 2012 by J. Drayton

5.0 out of 5 stars Godspell for the New Millennium, February 14, 2012
M. Schleck (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Godspell (Audio CD)
I am bias in my review, as I am a huge Godspell fan having seen it over 50 times in every venue you can imagine. I saw the New Broadway cast last week and they are the best of the best. They are all charming, fresh, charismatic, young actors with amazing voices. The new cast album captures the life and energy of the live experience. Of the eight Godspell cast albums that I own this is one of favorites in that the new cast and arrangements has made this album as relevant today as the original was to the protest filled early 70's. Now instead of Hippy Clowns we have I-phone addicted yuppies transformed into vibrant urban street performers. If you are in New York see this show before it is gone, as in an age of heartless high tech shows I am not sure if the modern theatergoer is too jaded to sit back take in the joy and energy of the show which is so much more than a sum of its parts. If your not in New York get this CD. Its a great way to take a little piece of this timeless theatrical miracle home.

3.0 out of 5 stars Godspell for the Idol Generation, August 8, 2012
J. Drayton (Brisbane QLD Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Godspell (Audio CD)

Case in point: "By My Side". Any admirer of "Godspell" knows how haunting this can be. In this recording, unfortunately, the singers have decided that the music and lyrics are too under-stated: they overwhelm the song with that awful fake emotion that is rife on shows like the international "Idol" talent contests and "Glee". You know, never be content with one note when a syllable can be drawn out to allow three, make sure the audience knows they are supposed to be moved by adopting a caricature of sadness in your voice.

I could go on, but no recording of "Godspell" leaves me in an overly nasty mood, and there are certainly good things here. The new arrangement of "All Good Things" is the best I've heard, "Learn Your Lessons" and "All for the Best" are as exuberant and cheeky as they should be, and the new lyrics of "Beautiful City" make moving and tasteful reference to the terrorist attacks on New York without interrupting the flow.

If, like me, you have a few recordings of this show, then this one is certainly a worthy addition to your collection. For what it's worth, I think that on CD the film soundtrack Godspell: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (now available here: Godspell: 40th Anniversary Celebration is the best of the lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Divinely Inspired, February 24, 2012
This review is from: Godspell (Audio CD)
While no CD can encapsulate the spectacle and phenomenon that is a Broadway show, the Godspell CD surely captures the spirit, joy, reverance, and excitement of this musical. The orchestrations are wondrous. The cast is amazing--they truly make you feel the emotion of Godspell, and their voices are second to none. To top it all off, you can hear and understand every word, so the story comes through almost as if the actors were transporting you to the Circle in the Square Theater. In fact, upon listening to this fabulous music (over and over, I'm sure)--that's just where you'll want to be!

4.0 out of 5 stars A new Godspell to add to your collection, January 3, 2012
Tom (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Godspell (MP3 Music)
I enjoyed the recent Broadway revival. I found it high in entertainment value, but a bit hollow. It entertained me without moving me. I feel the same about this recording. It is well sung, but a little over done for my liking. The vocal arrangements are harmonically fuller and more difficult than the original 1970's versions. The arrangements sound too much like "Glee" for my taste. The vocalese arrangement of The Prologue (Tower of Babble) is fun to listen to, but is it Godspell? I prefer Godspell to be simpler and more straight forward.

You cannot fault the cast. They sing the stuffing out of the score. I am particularly fond of Telly's "All Good Gifts" and his Entre Acte version of "Learn Your Lessons Well" Although, I wish the recording would have kept Telly's live performance introduction where he starts out with the opening vamp of" Magic to Do" from Pippin and a quick seque to Wicked before finally arriving at "Learn Your Lessons Well".

Hunter Parrish acquits himself well on this recording. Onstage I found him to be a little bland and a bit of a "pretty boy front man" (to borrow a phrase from another Broadway Rock Musical). Live, he gets a little lost amidst the entire cast, but on the new cast recording he makes a very sweet and earnest Jesus. His "Beautiful City" is one of the standout songs on the disc.

Overall, this version should be a part of your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it now., May 16, 2012
This review is from: Godspell (Audio CD)
This is a great recording of new arrangements from the 2011 Broadway revival of Godspell by the Original revival cast. If you wore out your 1970's LP's and tapes of the seminal Godspell, you will love this - really! None what you loved is destroyed - and amazing new lyrics and arrangements will interest and hook you. Beautiful City alone is reason enough to buy this - don't think of the cheery movie version - there are newish words and a great performance by Hunter Parrish that take this song somewhere special. So buy it! Also, go see the show while you can - it's the most fun you'll ever have in a theater.

5.0 out of 5 stars Newer version of old classic is incredible, April 6, 2014
Eddie "Mobfit" (Sellersville, Pa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Godspell (Audio CD)
The singers were amazing. Harmonies brought the songs to new levels. Best part is the songs did not lose there original vibe or melody. Love it !

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Version, Same Message & Feel as original!, January 24, 2014
This review is from: Godspell (Audio CD)
I grew up on the soundtrack from the Motion Picture (Victor Garber as Jesus). I've seen the show many times over the years, and was bummed I never made it to NYC to see it on Broadway in 2011, from which this recording comes.

I did see the national tour (2013-2014), which has the same updated score as the 2011 Broadway production; the national tour is fantastic and it stayed with me long after I left the theater -- then I stumbled upon THIS version/recording online and ordered it, to reconnect with the music and feeling I had from the national tour production.

I was NOT disappointed. Certain songs like "God Save the People" and "Day by Day" are quite similar to the original motion picture soundtrack, but have different timing and beat. However - by far the biggest (AND BEST!) departure from the original is Beautiful City; this version is Jesus singing alone, and is extremely moving. The message it carries in this manner is remarkable. Additionally, the finale of this production is equally as moving as the original - but different, too.

If you are a die-hard Godspell fan from the 70's and have never seen a modernized version, this may sound slightly foreign to you (I imagine it's like being French and listening to a French Canadian speak) .. however if you have an open mind to embrace Godspell in modern times, and/or have seen a modern version; I highly recommend this album.

Stephen Schwartz is both the original composer, and composed the updated score - and I appreciate both his respect to the original, while carrying us forward in time.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Godspell" is Revived!, January 11, 2013
Steven L. (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Godspell (Audio CD)
From the first lyrics of the new Broadway recording of "Godspell," you know that the target audience has shifted from the tie-dye, Vietnam generation of the original to the "Glee" and "American Idol" groupies of today. Co-creator and composer Stephen Schwartz ("Wicked") has taken the 1971 score and given it a new vitality with both new vocal and instrumental arrangements, creating a recording that would easily be at home on Nicktoons or the Disney Channel.

The performers are top notch, ranging from the experienced to the Broadway newbies. Hunter Parrish (Showtime's "Weeds," "Spring Awakening") gives an enjoyable performance as Jesus, but it's his supporting cast that deserves the listening. Celisse Henderson makes her Great White Way debut with this production, and her performance of "Learn Your Lessons Well" doesn't require the approval of Randy Jackson or Simon Cowell to get our vote. Veteran Morgan James ("The Addams Family," "Wonderland") earns her badge in the now James Bond-flavored "Turn Back O'Man," and Telly Leung ("Glee") has them melting in the aisles with the earnestness he brings to "All Good Gifts." Parrish spends most of his stage interaction with Wallace Smith ("Lion King," "American Idiot") who has the most opportunity to impress with "Prepare Ye" and "All For The Best."

Besides the aural updating, you can now follow every performer on all the requisite sites (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube), and for the first time, the Liner Notes include all the original lyric sources that Schwartz did not provide, from the Bible to St. Richard of Chichester, (1197-1253, "Day by Day") and Jane M. Campbell (1817-1878, "All Good Gifts"). There's even a testimonial for the fans of the original production by Paul Shaffer (David Letterman's musical director), who was one of the first Musical Directors for the show.

If you are not familiar with this piece of Schwartz's canon, this recording provides a timely opportunity to share a listening experience across generations. And much more affordable than going to a theme park.

5.0 out of 5 stars WE BESEECH THEE TO BUY THIS ALBUM !, February 24, 2012
This review is from: Godspell (Audio CD)
"We Beseech Thee" to buy this album, you won't regret it! After my wife and I saw the recent Broadway 40th anniversary revival production on our birthdays (yes, same birthday - month day and year) we had to have the new cast album. They were sold out ! (but got some in the next day) The new orchestrations and arrangements by Michael Holland and some new music by Stephen Schwartz complemented the absolutely wonderful voices by this talented new group of "20 somethings" in the vibrant and high energy solos and group numbers. I promise you, this is something you will listen to multiple times, in your car, at work or at home. I won't start to mention favorite songs or names in the cast because they are all so talented and have unique vocal qualities. Seriously, I'm buying more now as gifts for later (birthday, anniversary, Christmas)! Thanks Danny Goldstein, Michael Holland, Ken Davenport, and the entire cast (and Christopher Gattelli)!
John & Michelle

5.0 out of 5 stars GODSPELL Well Sung, February 24, 2012
This review is from: Godspell (Audio CD)
The current Broadway production of GODSPELL is well sung with orchestrations and arrangements that reflect a contemporary approach to the score. The talent displayed in the recording is extraordinary.

Godspell
Godspell by New Broadway Cast (Audio CD - 2012)