5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best
As usual, I savored the humor, the music and the performances. I particularly enjoyed the Mary Poppins, the Equus and the Young Frankenstein, but my favorite is "My Musical Comedy Smile." The adroid lyrics are a pleasure.
Published on January 17, 2009 by Elden Buck

3.0 out of 5 stars Likeable, but not great
Published on March 23, 2009 by Hoc Stercus

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best, January 17, 2009
Elden Buck (reading, pa United States) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Likeable, but not great, March 23, 2009
This review is from: Goes to Rehab (Audio CD)
I have about four or five previously published Forbidden Broadway albums. I like the fun and wit they convey; and on first hearing I found myself anticipating each oncoming track of this edition. But once the CD was finished, I had no desire to hear it again. Why? Because it was just like hearing a rehash of earlier outings. The singers are very talented, and the production values are just fine; but overall I felt I was listening to an "also-ran" production rather than to a masterpiece.

4.0 out of 5 stars Alessandrini does it again, March 3, 2009
J. Lane (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goes to Rehab (Audio CD)
The Forbidden Broadway CDs are among the jewels of my collection (I'm missing one, but that's about to be rectified), and this latest one is a worthy addition. Gerard Alessandrini, the mastermind behind the long-running show, has proved himself the best song parodist in America, and his show is the stage equivalent of Mad Magazine in its heyday. The ever-changing performers, too, are gifted mimics, as good at lampooning the performers as Alessandrini is at spoofing the songs. Of course, it helps to get the jokes if you're familiar with the Broadway shows under discussion, but the CDs are funny even if you've never seen the plays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hysterical and ingenious! Can't stop listening to it., August 3, 2010
T. Romito "secondadonna" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goes to Rehab (Audio CD)
My friend gave me this last week, and I can't stop listening to it. It is brilliant and hysterical. Not just spoof. And the more you listen to it, the more you pick up. My "favorite" changes daily. But the South Pacific and Gypsy "skits" are so funny and clever. (My friend and I keep reciting bits of them to each other...and we are too old for that). The Sondheim and Kurt Weil bits are simply brilliant. Actually I love it all. This may be a little more "insider" (personality-driven) humor than some of the other CDs, so maybe that's why some people don't like it as much. If you are a "broadway-holic", "celebrity addict", or "sondheim-ite" you will LOVE it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Forbidden broadway, May 26, 2009
Mimi (Baltimore, Md. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goes to Rehab (Audio CD)
Lots of fun to listen to, excellent voice mimics. It's a shame they are closing down Forbidden Broadway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as always but the revue has lost some of it's sharp edge, April 18, 2009
This review is from: Goes to Rehab (Audio CD)
This version of the show is excellent with many amazing performances and writing but too many insider jokes (which I just didn't get. I understand the show is closing soon and is going to take a breather which might be a good thing. I have been a follower of FB since the first recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Cd, November 16, 2013
This review is from: Goes To Rehab (MP3 Music)
If you are a musical theatre fan, I know you will enjoy these Forbidden Broadway Cd. Very clever. Very fun

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, July 6, 2013
This review is from: Goes to Rehab (Audio CD)
Forbidden Broadway is typically a reliable institution, skewering Broadway with silliness and cutting jokes. This isn't their strongest entry. It isn't unnecessarily mean or anything like that, but the jokes aren't as sharp as you'd find in Volume 2, 2001, or SVU. It probably has more to do with the quality of shows available for parody (Young Frankenstein), but one gets the feeling there's a lot of missed opportunities here (again, Young Frankenstein). That said, there are some gems: South Pacific, Glitter & Be Glib, not to mention the bonus tracks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hysterical As Always!, April 9, 2013
This review is from: Goes to Rehab (Audio CD)
Gerard Alessendrini and company have done it again. Hysterical, nasty, acerbic, witty and riotuosly funny. I had tears in my eyes as I was driving listening to this cd. The take on the revival of South Pacific is brilliant. The impersonation of La Lupone is priceless as are the rest. A must have to add to the FB collection!

4.0 out of 5 stars Alessandrini strikes again!, January 3, 2012
honey "honey" (philadelphia, pa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goes to Rehab (Audio CD)
Many's the time I have been at a performance of Forbidden Broadway over the years.
And as many times I have been laughing so hard that it was difficult to remain in my seat. I Sleep with Everyone, the mockery of Aspects of Love was so spot on it was hilarious and scary at the same time. He read my mind! The Mandy Patinken version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow in Alessandrini's hands was just too perfect for words. And Into the Words - Wow!

This version has a couple of tracks that got me going. I didn't get to see this show, only listened to it. Two of my favorites were the Bernadette Peters one and the one about the musical of A Tale of Two Cities. I especially loved the ending of the album which displayed reverence for Sondheim.
Surely Alessandrini is one of our national treasures. How does he come up with these perfect blends of the familiar and the new to make his amazing spoofs? I think he is a genius.

Goes to Rehab
Goes to Rehab by Forbidden Broadway: Goes to Rehab (Audio CD - 2009)
Rate and Discover Movies