5.0 out of 5 stars Buy, Rent, or Steal this book...well not really, but you get th'idea., November 19, 2010
This review is from: The Goetia of Dr. Rudd (Sourceworks of Ceremonial Magic) (Hardcover)
I know there are copious versions of the Goetia out there--almost as many as there are kitschy Tarot decks--but this edition actually "splits the atom". It gives a history of the manuscript(which was the main feature I bought it for). The absolute reason to buy this book, however, is over the technique of binding the angels of the 72-fold name to the 72 demons of the Goetia in such a way so as to get a balanced affect in a given exorcism. It also explains and contains the other texts that comprise Solomon's Key. This supplemental information goes into the casting the circle according to the time of year (or attracting the right pitch in correspondence with the zodiac).

If anything else, let me just say that I wish I could go back in time and make this book my first experience working with the Goetia. It is different from the Crowley edition in that it replaces, as it were, the use of the Invocation of HGA. (Which makes sense b/c the Dr. Rudd manuscript is Old Aeon, as it were.)But this difference, to me, actually spoke to what I didn't know about the Shem-ha-Mephorasch. Reading this book made me think on everything I thought I already knew and understood to be accurate about the Goetia. Of course, this union of demon with angel technique is sympathetic to "Spark Rehab" rhetoric in popular Lurianic Kabbalah--which, to me, speaks to what I don't know about my HGA AND the Shem-ha-Mephorasch. In the end, the least of which the reader needs to know about this writer's experience with this book is that, my idea of what Demons are just got a quite a bit more useful and even Holier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy for.., January 29, 2011
What I asked myself before buying this item was, do I need another goetia after I bought the Mathers/Crowley goetia? The answer is this is not just another edition. Skinner and Rankine far surpass Mathers/Crowley's edition.

The introduction to this work is amazing. I would pay the money just for the introduction. It seems that Dr. Rudd actually used the book as a grimiore and not just to collect dust. The adding of the angels together with the demons seems to fit perfectly and is a great addition. This book also contains the other 3 books: Theurgia Goetia, Ars Paulina, Ars Almadel unfortunately leaving out the last book because it is incomplete and therefore would be a waste. Crowley to me is part of the past. Skinner and Rankine have taken the throne. If you are interested in old grimiores whether it be to practice(good luck getting the supplies) or just to add to your collection of occult; this book is for you. This is now my favorite book in my library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete, March 20, 2011
This book is full of Geotia history. Good stuff. It is by far the most complete and understandable edition on the market. If you want to really master the Geotia this book is a must have. I recommend Poke Runyan book after reading this one. Also The training of Franz Bardon's book is a must to master this stuff. This book is a complete work. It is a lifetime of magick. This work will take you farther then anything I know of on the market today. But you must be a magician. I would not recommend reading this and jumping in with these forces cause they will eat you alive. But the book is a classic. If you just want to understand this stuff read it. I have nothing negitive to say about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete curriculum in goetic magic., September 11, 2014
The first question that comes to mind when one sees yet another "Goetia" on the market, is obviously, "Why should I consider this edition?"
In this case the answer is a little too complex to sum up in a single tag-line.

The first thing I want to make clear is, this isn't just the Goetia, as the title would suggest, but rather the entire Lemegeton! Further, it is based on the previously unpublished manuscript version compiled by Dr. Thomas Rudd. (Harley MS 6483)

While Joseph Peterson's Lemegeton is clearly the definitive version, Skinner and Rankine use this book as an operating table on which to discect how this material was used by actual working magicians of the 16th and 17th centuries. The process, according to the authors, is one of dualism, where the magician controls base entities by use of their matching divine counterparts. That is a concept that is alluded to, but never fleshed out in the Lemegeton itself. This volume goes into a great deal of detail on the use of the 72 Names of the Shemhamphorash to bind and control the 72 "demons" of the Goetia. This concept is not only spelled out, there are illustrated in these pages, the actual double-sided seals as employed by Dr. Rudd and presumably his contemporaries.

Other details that have not been previously published such as the proper use of the brass vessle and the breastplate, will be enough to get even armchair Goetic theorists off the fence, to make this purchase.

Enochian magicians may be interested in seeing Dr. Rudd's verion of Dee's Tabula Sancta cum Tabulis Enochi.

This massive 448 page work is heavily footnoted, and the student of Solomonic Magick will enjoy the ample back matter.

The contents are broken down as follows:

Front matter - 14 pages, including the introduction.

History and origins - 43 pages of it.

Evocation Methods - 24 pages exploring bindings, names, adversarial angels, invocations, equipment, and ceremony.

The Manuscripts - 241 page treatment of Dr. Rudd's full Lemegeton, which he himself called the Goetia for reasons that escape me. It should be understood that in actuality the Goetia is just one of the books of the full Lemegeton.

Appendices are broken up as follows:

Appendix 1 - Theugia-Goetia in Sloane 3824

Appendix 2 - Tables of demons from the Lemegeton (24 pages of tables!)This is a dream work of comparitive study on the Goetic entities, and their rank. Also included are Hebrew spellings of the names, alternate spellings, what if any stead ridden, other qualities, ruling angel, number of legions, planet (based on the metal associated with the spirit's rank) evoked appearance, and attributed powers.

Appendix 3 - Thomas Rudd's synthesis of Goetia and Enochia

Appendix 4 - Rudd describes 61 demons.

Appendix 5 - Sources for the material in the Lemegeton.

Appendix 6 - Seals from Sibley's Goetia.

Appendix 7 - Shem ha-Mephorash Angels

Appendix 8 - Ecclesiastical Planetary Hours

Appendix 9 - This is an odd piece but it really speaks to the 16th century mindset of Goetia and self justification. It is an explanation of names used in the Goetia, with some other random Kabalah thrown in. But if you ever need say, the consecrating prayer of Venus, well, there you go.

Appendix 10 - A study of some of the words used in evocation. This section is a Greek and Hebrew list of derivations of words used in Goetic evocations.

Appendix 11 - Narrative of Dr. Rudd, Sir John Heydon and a spirit "How a man may have the continual Society of a Guardian Genius"

Appendix 12 - Variant forms of Heptameron style circles.

Appendix 13 - Observations of metals and times of bindings.

Appendix 14 - Equipment diagrams. I was hoping for more here, but it serves its purpose.

Appendix 15 - Scot's form of commanding spirits

If you want to have a complete curriculum of Solomonic study, I suggest that you purchase this volume along with Joseph Peterson's Lemegeton. The Peterson edition is a scholerly comparitive work, while the present work is a snapshot of Solomonic Magick being put to practical work. These two volumes not only complement each other, but they are both equally vital to building an accurate picture of the scope and impact of this cycle of magick.

Mr. Skinner and I have discussed the theory of Goetic workings in the past. It should be noted that the authors not only report the dualistic model of Goetic workings, they champion the theory behind it. I myself have a different view, seeing the Lemegeton as a "Book of the Dead" for the living, moving High Shamanism into 16th century Europe (not to mention 21st Century Americas). Consider how many of these beings start out as a spirit-animal, only putting on a comely human form after a battle of wills with the exorcist of the Art. Never the less, I could hardly put this volume down. There are many pearls in these pages for any student of Solomon.

On a final note, the author pulls back the veil a bit on why there are no Goetic spirits associated with Mars, and raises the question as to there being a single demon attributed to Saturn. I had made a similar comment in my review of Runyon's reworking of the Goetia some time ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, December 28, 2014
I'd been hesitant to buy this after being disappointed in every way with the Skinner/Rankine "Cyprian" book, but I'd seen enough good reviews of this I decided to get it. Glad I did! Full of valuable information and has lovely, clear pictures.
A few days after getting this book, by total chance I bought A Treatise on Angel Magic: Magnum Opus Hermetic Sourceworks at a bookstore without realizing they're related books. I'm kind of surprised they weren't printed together in one volume because the Angel Magic book has a bunch of info that relates to matters in this one. I recommend they be bought together.

The Goetia of Dr. Rudd (Sourceworks of Ceremonial Magic)
The Goetia of Dr. Rudd (Sourceworks of Ceremonial Magic) by Stephen Skinner (Hardcover - September 8, 2010)
$72.00 $52.89