Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now HTL

on June 9, 1998
I have read many dead-related books, but this is by far the most interesting and well written. It's worth buying for many reasons, but the highlight for me is the chapter on Donna. If it were not for this book, I would have continued to believe all the narrow minded comments I heard about her over the years. This interview may have actually started the Donna rennaissance which culminated with the emotional welcome she received at the Philharmonia benefit in December 1997. Even if you think you know everything about the Dead you'll be surprised by this book. As we always say at our house, "it's all about the music." P.S. - Look for new Blair Jackson title scheduled for publication Fall '98!
on December 9, 2011
When Blair Jackson published this book in 1992 the Grateful Dead were still an active touring band and Jerry Garcia was still on this planet. Today as 2011 is almost gone I have my battered copy of this li'l blue book here with me and it now seems as a weird curio from some era in time so long ago that will never come floating by ever again.

From 1984 through to 1991 Blair's magazine/fanzine had a run of 35 issues to an audience of about 12,000 readers that were just plain Dead-crazy. This 322 page volume digs into those issues and gives you an insiders view into the world of all things Grateful Dead. The Golden Road grabbed interviews with Jerry, Bobby, Phil, Billy, Mickey, Donna and Robert Hunter. Blair, was the ultimate fan that we would want to be as he could approach Jerry and get some real good stuff from him in conversation that a journalist from Time magazine wouldn't know anything about.

The information found here is about the songs, touring and what goes on behind the scenes (Donna destroying hotel rooms!) and things never covered elsewhere as the band felt at home with Mr. Jackson and were not afraid to be candid with him about their world. A large section about Dead cover songs is very informative and useful to keepers of GD shows as to why and where the band found tunes to expand the stage show. Another section about what tapes to collect is less important as the tape-trading days are now a long-forgotten thing of the past replaced by: "Dick's Picks" and the "Road Series" CD's that we now spend our cash on.

I only came upon copies of The Golden Road on three occasions and grabbed up those newspaper lookin' things and I thought they were pretty darn cool. But, the eighties are long gone and so is The Golden Road, so this is your chance to take a peek into the workings of a band and read the stories as only they can tell them. This is one of the best books about the Grateful Dead ever published and if you can find this at a reasonable price (cheap) grab up a copy.
Four Stars!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2011
there is really no writer, besides possibly David Gans, that got this close to the band. Excellent articles, and Blair took fans suggestions for articles. A MUST HAVE for any Grateful Dead fan! Speedy service,excellent quality.
on February 13, 2013
Okay, as I said in my review of the Relix compendium, there are a few books every deadhead should really have, because you'll always be reading at least one at any given time - whether from the start, just revisiting a favorite section, or simply keeping on the bathroom shelf to open randomly as...well, you know...

It's Blair Jackson for cryin' out loud, professor emeritus and chronicler extraordinairre of dead historia. More specifically, you get chapters containing interviews with Jerry/Weir/Hunter/Billy/and Hart, as well as "Donna: The Greatest Story Never Told"; "Who was Cowboy Neal"; "The Best of The Dead" (a profile of standout shows from every era); and "Roots" (a musical family tree of the Dead's music from country, western, jazz, classical, gospel, blues, and early rock'n'roll).

on October 18, 2013
There's no doubt that Blair Jackson has a gift for describing the Dead. Too bad they don't just bind and release the entire "Golden Road" run. Oh well... until then, this "greatest excerpts" is the next best thing.
on August 14, 2013
Interesting collection of essays and interviews related to the Grateful Dead and the early counterculture scene. Also includes an annotated section devoted to "cover tunes" and a brief rundown of outstanding Grateful Dead tapes.
on September 11, 2011
If I could have the 7 years of The Golden Road bound, I would read every magazine without stop! I missed the 80s - in fact I didn't start down that road until '93 - and have been a scholar catching up ever since. Goin' Down The Road: A Grateful Dead Traveling Companion is an excellent road map and companion and I thank Jackson for everything!

Also, the book was in excellent condition. I hate buying 2nd hand books but these guys produce the BEST! Shipping speed even surprised me!