5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary reading
Coincidences? Sure, they happen.
Picture this. I planned a 2500 mile 4-day ride through sUtah, Arizona, and New Mexico. Needed something to read and Ron"s book had just shown up from the publisher, so I threw it in the saddlebag without even opening it.
Published on February 6, 2003 by Tom Murphy, author

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid advice for the long distance rider
Published on March 30, 2007 by Craig Libuse

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary reading, February 6, 2003
Tom Murphy, author (Gardnerville, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Going the Extra Mile: Insider Tips for Long-Distance Motorcycling and Endurance Rallies (Paperback)
Coincidences? Sure, they happen.
I finally got to it while parked for the night in a dirty motel in a seedy town in southern Utah. Imagine my surprise when I saw Ron on the cover traveling the same sort of roads I had just been on.
After reading this book, my advice to you is buy it, read it and follow it. If you plan on covering a lot of superslab on your rides, you need this book.
My only complaint (small) is that Dan Kennedy at Whitehorse Press needs to use more color in these books. Some of the scenery in Ron's book deserves to be seen in glorious 4-color.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid advice for the long distance rider, March 30, 2007
Although most of what the author tells you here should be common sense, I still gathered enough good tips to make the price of the book well worthwhile. If you plan to do any long distance riding, even if you are an experienced rider, you will no doubt learn something too. The author has done a lot more touring than most of us, and his experience is worth listening to. For me, the most important chapter is on proper gear for riding, as being comfortable is the key to being able to stay on a bike a long time. It doesn't matter how soft the seat is, if you are freezing or too hot you are not going to last long. Other tips on gear to carry for various types of trips can save you a lot of time making checklists. It may even inspire you to take a long trip if you have never done so. When you are properly prepared and comfortable the miles go by a lot easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Grows in Value as you increase your L:ong Distance Riding, April 4, 2008
As an additioal post comment to my review. As I have begun to get more involved in Long Distance Riding this book has increased in value to me. It is a common book that I carry with me on all my trips to open and reread areas to remind me of things I need to improve and ideas on better approaches. If I could I would bump my rating to a 5 star now for those that want to get serious about Long Distance Riding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get IT If You Are New or Interested on Long Distance Riding, August 12, 2009
I'm a self taught motorcycle rider that's been riding for over 15 years. Long distance to me meant riding from Los Angeles to San Francisco. A friend decided that it was time to go cross-country and during my planning I came across this book. It is a must read for novices like me. The book is full of valuable advice, insight, and recommendations.

What it offers...

1. Riding a motorcycle for many hours does not have to be an uncomfortable affair. Ron dedicates a whole chapter on 'comfort'. After reading this chapter I became aware of how grossly unprepared I was. He discusses in great detail what experienced long distance riders wear and modifications they do to their bikes. For example, I would never have consider wearing ear plugs or buying a seat cushion. The benefits of both of these items are now very apparent to me. This was the most valuable chapter in the whole book for me.

2. The next chapter is all about 'safety'. A lot of it is good old common sense, like stop if you are drowsy, wear reflective gear, stay hydrated, etc.

3.The third chapter is about planning and maybe the most out-dated chapter of the book. It is not his fault. It's the nature of technology. He discusses the use of GPS and mapping software, and a few other electronic devices that can make your trip safer and easier. It is a good chapter if you have never used a GPS device or computer software, but most people have been exposed to them by now. The last part of the chapter is very useful. Here, he proves a rudimentary packing list, the importance of following your motorcycle's carrying capacity guidelines, and some organizations you can count on if you should get in trouble on the road (worth the price of the book).

4. The next chapter is called "Building Mileage". The title is a bit deceiving. For example, it isn't a program designed to help you build your stamina and endurance on the bike, but a list of associations that give out long distance awards. The most famous is the Iron Butt Association Award(for more info do a quick search). The members of this association are a very exclusive bunch. Tips are given at the end of the chapter for long-distance riders. The most valuable advice in my opinion deals with riding at night. This is something I 'never' do. You never know what creatures will cross your path. Here, Ron provides tips if you should encounter deer on the road.

5. The last two chapter are of no interest to me. For example, I don't intend to compete on endurance rallies and I won't be traversing the country on unpaved roads. Furthermore, I won't be traveling to undeveloped countries on my motorcycle any time in the future. If these are of interest to you, then you will find these chapters useful.

Last Note...

The book is filled with practical advice, commentary from 'professionals', websites, gear reviews and recommendations, and a page full of additional reading material. It reads fast and easy. The pictures are not color, but it didn't matter to me. Get it before you go on your next trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good read for LD motorcyclists, February 4, 2013
Bill Card (United States) - See all my reviews
Not satisfied with dragging main to impress other wanna-be's? Bored with riding for an hour to eat someplace and then riding home. Not satisfied with a ride unless you throw a leg over, start her up, and then ride until your rig's fuel gauge is blinking at you? If I just described you, then you're probably an endurance rider and that means you'll like Ron's second book on the sport.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not great, May 29, 2007
Most of this information was pretty basic and common sense, some of it is outdated due to technology advancements too. Still, it had some good tips for planning long distance trips / competition. Most info can be found online on various long distance sources if you want to put in extra time at the computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a great book, March 12, 2009
I'm not wanting to participate in long distant rallies, I purchased this book for the value of others opinions on traveling long distance, and what a wealth of knowledge it is. This is a book to reference over and over again. If you just want some ideas from the pro's for long distance rallies or just how to handle a long trip this book is invaluable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the read, May 29, 2014
Entertaining, a bit dated and lacks focus. I bought the book as a new rider and I feel that I learned from the book a basic understanding of motorcycling.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, October 24, 2013
The author covered his ride in his first Ironbutt quite well - plenty of detail without being too much, and he weaved in other information that filled in the details. He writes well and the book held my interest to the last page. Definitely a motorcyclist's book, probably not that interesting to non-riders, but if you ever thought about doing some long rides or doing an Ironbutt I'd recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Good Book, October 17, 2013
Info is slightly dated. This is a good book, but a new edition is needed. I would still buy this edition and a newer edition. The new clothing that is available should be covered.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›