5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For All Naturals
A fantastic reference guide to caring for natural hair and full of good advice and natural hair "recipes." I've fallen in love with the recipe for moisturizing spray. It utilizes inexpensive ingredients, (distilled water, vegetable glycerin, and aloe vera juice) but it works much better on my hair than most commercial products.

The book also shows the variety...
Published on November 16, 2005 by S. D. Bledsoe

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on February 27, 2006 by Meredith Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For All Naturals, November 16, 2005

The book also shows the variety of hair styling options available to naturals; too many of us think we are limited to a TWA or locks.

Finally, it is refreshing to find a book on natural hair care in which the models are truly "natural," and not sporting weaves and/or texturizers. This allowed me to make a realistic assessment of how a finished style will look on my hair. I only wish that I had this book while I was transitioning.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration!, August 6, 2007
This book is a great starting point for anyone considering going natural. It gives you a realistic view of what to expect when making a transition from relaxed hair to natural hair. It also suggests some styles and hair care techniques for that rough period of hair breakage and the times when you just want to give in and get a relaxer. Additionally, the author suggests other references, including websites, that will provide further information and inspiration.

After reading this book (in an hour or so) I learned how to care for my hair in ways that prevent it from drying out and breaking. The book also includes recipes for conditioning treatements that acutually work WELL and good information on what to look for in the ingredient lists when buying off-the-shelf products. I never realized how much damage I was doing to my hair (and my daughter's hair) by yanking at it and pulling the blow dryer comb through it. And how drying shampoo really is. I had come to accept that I would have a comb full of hair that I would pull out whenever I shampooed and blow-dried. After using the techniques suggested here for "no-pooing" (a method of cleansing the hair with instant conditioner rather than shampoo) and keeping the hair tangle free during no-pooing, I have experienced significantly less breakage (almost no breakage) and my hair is softer than ever. Even if you decide not to transition to your natural texture, this book will help you stretch the time between relaxers and achieve a more healthy head of hair.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants more information on how to take care of naturally kinky hair.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, February 27, 2006
I was hoping to find new information here that I did not find off the internet from websites like Nappturality, Motown girl, and other nappy sites. I have been transitioning for 4 months. I have relaxed my hair for most of my life. I must be honest, it makes me think that I could have written this book. It is nothing more than a pamphlet with an advertising plug to the writers' website to buy products. Much too expensive for the "information" provided. I could have given it 1 star but I do not have the heart.

4.0 out of 5 stars Total hair care..., July 17, 2005
The RAWSISTAZ Reviewers (RAWSISTAZ.com and BlackBookReviews.net) - See all my reviews
Black women go through various methods of curling, combing, perming, and styling their hair in order to get the right "do" to represent their style and personality. Though geared to those wanting to go natural, this book is an excellent resource for those wanting to know the basics of haircare and key information on growing, grooming, and taking care of healthy hair. It covers areas such as what causes hair breakage, the different types of hair products, and how to transition from chemically processed hair to natural styles. Most importantly, Mirielle Liong-A-Kong showcases the joy and benefits of going the natural hair route and leads the reader through the necessary steps for reaching his or her goals.

Though there are some editorial flaws throughout GOING NATURAL and some portions are a bit repetitive, it does not distract from the message. While I may not have fully decided to go natural, the book has definitely given me a lot to think about regarding how I tend to my own hair. GOING NATURAL is an excellent resource for those contemplating the move to natural hair as it provides step-by-step procedures, illustrations, and other tools and resources. It's also a teaching aid for those who want to know how to care for and maintain their own styles. It teaches the importance of debunking the myth that natural hair can't be beautiful and easy to maintain, and also celebrates individual beauty. I thoroughly enjoyed this educational read and hope to share it with family, friends, and my hairstylist. (RAW Rating: 4.5)

Reviewed by Tee C. Royal

of The RAWSISTAZ™ Reviewers

3.0 out of 5 stars EDITORS ARE YOUR FRIENDS, October 17, 2007
Estro_generation (Brooklyn, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
Now, I'm pretty obsessed with discovering my hair and find a lot of these books have varying/ conflicting advice. I bought this book along tith two others while looking for some answers after having gone fully natural.

First off, this book is too expensive for something that is obviously self published given the typos (there are sections that actually have her inner thoughts) and bad binding. Though I admire the author's hustle, I advise you to get it used because it's like a pamphlet.

I find that the author gives a pretty solid scientific explaination as to why our naps are the way they are and what chemicals do to them.This info could probably help natural Nazis out there convert others, and help you understand how your hair's chemical history fits together. However, it's only useful if you are deeply interested in something other then hair styles. Perhaps most jarring is the section on why the natural hair is so crunchy when growing out of a scalp that has seen relaxer.The book reminded me of a term paper; an academic study on the process of going natural. It was no real use to me in terms of making home made products as motowngirl.com has the same, if not more info.

This is not a must book for naturals but there are some things that are better said by the author then I've found in some other books. Still, get it used girl.
* before anyone comments on my editorial mistakes in here, remember I'm not getting paid to do this honeys !

1.0 out of 5 stars This book offers false advertising in many ways, April 14, 2010
If you want a book that will devote most of its time to telling you why an author made the choices she did about wearing natural hair, then this is the book for you. If you want a book that actually teaches you how to STYLE natural hair, this is not a good book. There are a few pictures with no illustrations on how to create the styles that are pictured. Generic instructions are given for say, an Afro, but no picture of what the result will look like once you follow the instructions. The style she says is her favorite pictured on the cover (soft, curly afro), NO INSTRUCTIONS AT ALL!!! I was very disappointed with its dated pictures and typeface. Try one of the others...let me know. I wish I could get my money back on this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Toni, July 24, 2006
Good things come in small packages! This is the best little book on natural hair care that I have ever read, and believe me I have read quite a few. Most others talk about "healthy" weave care and "healthy" perm care, and other products and processes that have no health value at all, but are, in reality, the root cause of hair breakage and other Black hair care problems. This book succintly lists hair care ingredients to avoid and those to incorporate. It explains in plain and simple language why various products are damaging to Black hair and Black health. Websites are also provided for updated information and to further the discussion on health and hair. Kudos to Mirielle! Never before has anyone de-mystified and simplified Black hair care from perspective of health and natural beauty.

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay book, July 17, 2009
I enjoyed this book for some of the photos of hairstyles, however, the information contained in this book can be found on sites like [...] for free. In fact, when you visit the author's website you are required to pay a subscription fee to access information (this, even after you've already purchased her book.)

Some of the recipes she lists for natural hair care don't have measurements so you're left trying to figure out how much of an ingredient you should use. "Have I put in too much rosemary?" "How much spring water does she mean?" "What's the ratio of coconut oil to honey?" I was left asking myself these very questions.

I wouldn't recommend this book to a friend only because you can find the same information (and better) elsewhere for free.

1.0 out of 5 stars Keep your Money, July 1, 2010
The pictures were nice, but all of this information in this book is already widely available. I wish I didn't spend my money on it. Just go check the book out of the library if you must.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Naturals Need To Know, August 14, 2010
My relaxed sisters, raise your hand if you knew that natural black hair was actually easier to style than it's relaxed counterpart. Not many hands, are there?

Which hair type takes less time to care for? Natural hair or relaxed? Give yourself a checkmark if you answered natural.

One last question. Are natural sisters happy with their so-called unkempt, wild and yes, nappy hair? Yes, we are!

Myriads of black women have been programmed to believe that good, beautiful hair must be straight. So we relax it, fry it, burn it and do whatever it takes to rid ourselves of our pre-relaxed mane. We are convinced that we can't get a job or a man with a head full of naps. This is far from the truth.

Ms. Mireille Liong-A-Kong not only inspires black women to give their curls and coils a chance to break free from chemicals, but also educates the new natural to the styling options available to a fresh head of "NAPPtural" hair in her book "Going Natural - How to Fall in Love With Nappy Hair."

The black power afro is not the only styling option. Ms. Liong-A-Kong herself is pictured with more than a dozen different natural styles, not to mention describes and shows models with a plethora of others. Bantu knots, cornrows, twists, twist-outs and braids are just a few choices for the natural girl.

But you might reason that you could do those very styles on your relaxed hair. What's so special about going natural? Ms. Liong-A-Kong tells her own story. No more "hair-aches." No more chemical burns. No more bald scalp. No more breakage. Natural hair isn't just nappy; it is healthy.

This healthy hair can grow long with the right tender loving care. Locs are a testament to this fact. This book teaches you how to find the right products for your unique hair texture. You won't find an exhaustive product list, though, because all nappy hair is not created equally. Some strands and scalps react differently than others. Instead, you will learn which ingredients help and harm a natural.

You will also learn the completely different way of caring for fresh naps, from how to transition from relaxed hair with style to the art of detangling to the meaning of a trim. Ms. Liong-A-Kong doesn't just tell you what to do, but also tells how to do it and why it is important. This is how she cares for her hair, and it works, as shown by her luscious, healthy hair.

This book caters to the natural newbie. However, its thorough examination of natural hair will appeal to the natural with years of experience. Such veteran naturals will rediscover their hair's beauty, learn a new step in their hair care routine and may even be inspired to try some fresh hairstyles.

This book serves as a thorough guide for natural hair care. It motivates women to be confident just the way they are. New naturals, old naturals and wanna-be naturals alike will fall in love with their nappy hair.