1,540 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Sarah shoots from the hip (usually with a bazooka)
Published 5 months ago by LP Quagmire

3.0 out of 5 stars a somewhat entertaining book about a not-too-likable person
Since I don't have any idea whether Sarah Palin (1) actually wrote this, (2) actually read this, or (3) is telling the truth about all the incidents she discusses, I'm going to take it at face value: that is, to assume that (1) and (2) are correct, and that Palin at least believes her version of the truth. A few thoughts:

*Generally, I thought this was an...
Published on November 19, 2012 by Michael Lewyn

4.0 out of 5 stars Sarah shoots from the hip (usually with a bazooka), June 28, 2014
Sarah Palin is not merely the funniest woman in America, she may be the funniest woman on the planet! From her outrageous videos of gleefully hunting down wildlife from high atop her helicopter perch to her hysterical, bombastic pronouncement that "The only thing that stops a BAD guy with a nuke is a GOOD guy with a nuke!," the woman clearly has a way with a punchline.

A conservative icon from here to Hanoi, Sarah knows that humor is an absolute necessity for anyone with their finger on the armageddon button. For proof of that, one need look no further than GOING ROGUE, her latest humdinger of a page turner, which breezily demonstrates two great truths: 1) Sarah is a natural, deadpan comedienne without peer and 2) anti-psychotic drugs don't always work.

3.0 out of 5 stars a somewhat entertaining book about a not-too-likable person, November 19, 2012

*Generally, I thought this was an easy, light read- just entertaining enough that I was willing to finish it, not so entertaining that I couldn't put it down. Mostly it is about Palin's adventures rather than her ideology.
*Palin comes across as a pragmatic, status-quo conservative rather than an ideologue. She recites her allegiance to the usual conservative bromides, but doesn't attack Social Security or any other longstanding government program, and in fact goes out of her way to praise Title IX (a statute mandating equal treatment of male and female school athletes) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (which gets the federal government involved with educating disabled children)- two statutes I doubt a principled libertarian like Ron Paul would support. The only major government programs she seems to oppose are those proposed by President Obama.
*As a religious person, I was interested in her discussion of the collapse of her mother's Catholic faith. She grew up Catholic, but in small-town Alaska, far from the bonds of an urban Catholic community, she found an evangelical church more fulfilling, as did Sarah. I gathered from this that Catholicism, like Judaism, is a team sport, and dies when it is just one of many churches on the frontier.
*Palin comes across as energetic, and bright enough to handle issues intelligently when she focuses on them (e.g. energy). However, she doesn't seem to have educated herself deeply on national issues other than those relevant to Alaska politics.
*Palin seems to be a person who makes lots of enemies wherever she goes. From Wasilla to Anchorage to the McCain campaign, she dishes about the many people she does not like, and/or who do not like her (all of whom seem to be corrupt or at least jerks, or, as she calls John Kerry, "an elitist loon"). Generally, I sensed very little respect for adversaries in this book.
By comparison, I read President Obama's books a few years ago, and (if my memory serves me correctly, which it might not) he tends to be much gentler in his treatment of politicians he disagrees with. The notion that negative speech or gossip is a bad thing doesn't seem to be part of Palin's makeup.
As a person, Palin sounds like the person who could be a devoted friend, but who is also capable of being pretty vicious. She doesn't come across (to me) as very likeable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sarah Palin in her own write, January 6, 2010
Review by a liberal

While I disagree with a lot of Palins Political beliefs I read this book with interest. Admittedly in the beginning I wasn't sure If I could make it through the book because of that but the way that she chronicled her life it really makes it an interesting read.

The book really covers the decisions she has made in her life both political and personal. The reader gets to know her as a person and a politician, her motivations in life.

She was fairly unknown outside of Alaska, thrust into the middle of a Presidential campaign that was already floundering. While she did breathe some life into the McCain campaign it wasn't enough. She was put in a tough situation. Clearly she felt that she didn't receive the kind of support that she needed to be an effective Vice Presidential candidate and she discussed that in this book. We get to read about all of the things we suspected were going on in the McCain camp that she wasn't able to talk about during the race.

She sacrificed a lot and her family sacrificed a lot from the demands of campaign from criticism on her political beliefs, the innuendo that the only reason McCain selected her as a running mate is because she is attractive, to the personal attacks about her decision to have her challenged son. She was criticized a lot during the campaign of nearly everything. She talks about the criticisms in the book in detail. She loves her State and tried to make it a better place. She loved it enough to resign thinking that someone else could do a better job running it with out all of the distraction that was heaped upon her by media following her every move both on the local and national front.

Palin talks about life under the media microscope, how it effects to this day her and her family. While most of us including me can't imagine the pressure she was under during the campaign, she lays it out on paper.

This is Sarah Palin speaking her mind, She talks about everything. While she didn't change my mind on the political issues that I disagree with her on. She did change my mind about the type of person she is. In her personal life. In writing this book she has subjected herself to more criticism. I applaud her for her strength and conviction. Regardless of your political beliefs you should read this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, July 3, 2013
I was extremely disappointed in this book. The title caused me to believe that it was going to address Sarah Palin's actual going rogue in regard to politics. After reading the first 3 chapters that were more of a bio on her and her personal life throughout the years I became bored with it. I personally wanted to read about what she is doing in the arena of politics since "Going Rogue". The book probably got around to it towards the end but I bored with it early on. I put it down and never picked it up again. After thumbing through it to see when I would reach any part that addressed my interest I became disappointed in it. Before purchasing it, I would encourage any potential buyer to run their cursor across the book & pick out certain pages to read beforehand.

5.0 out of 5 stars A British perspective on a controversial American, December 26, 2009
Prior to reading this book, I knew little about either Sarah Palin or Alaska and I was interested to learn more about both, especially the book's author. Brits normally only take any notice of American politicians if they become president. There are exceptions such as Al Gore and Hillary Clinton, but they are rare. Contrast the number of reviews of this book posted in Amazon USA with the number posted in Amazon UK for confirmation of the lack of British interest.

I realized early on in this book that I was going to enjoy reading it because Mrs Palin's story is both interesting and well-written. She makes summer in Alaska sound wonderful, although acknowledging that the winters are long and harsh. She discusses many aspects of her life and it is clear that she has strong views on a number of issues.

Although not directly relevant to her political career, perhaps the most intriguing question about her beliefs concerns her stance on the origin of species. At first glance, Mrs Palin appears to be a full-blooded creationist, but she denies this. Apparently, she accepts what she calls microevolution, in which species change and evolve over time, but not that people are related to apes or monkeys. Her stance is interesting, but I prefer to accept Darwin's theory, despite the proof of it still being incomplete.

Not having studied the American political scene closely, I'll leave others to judge the accuracy of the main story, but the politics as described here is explosive stuff. Corruption in Alaska, tales of in-fighting within the Republican party and dirty tricks played by some Democrats - all rather sad, but I'll say straight away that similar things happen elsewhere in the world including Britain. Hey, the summer of 2009 was dominated by the expenses scandal at Westminster, while all British political parties of any significance have had their internal fights at one time or another, in between playing dirty tricks on each other. So in one form or another, most of the political stuff here doesn't surprise me, but some of it is shocking nevertheless.

An unconventional politician in many ways, Mrs Palin nevertheless appears to have brought about significant changes in a number of areas in her home state of Alaska, which may seem to many people (especially in my country) like a frozen wasteland, but which is rich in natural resources and occupies a vast land area, approximately equivalent to France, Spain, Italy and the UK combined. So being governor of Alaska is not equivalent to running a small local council in Britain even though it is sparsely populated (fewer people live there than in the county of Leicestershire in which I live). I suspect that the position of state governor may be equivalent to being leader of the Welsh assembly. The biggest Alaskan story by far in my adult lifetime was the 1989 Exxon Valdez disaster, which Mrs Palin covers briefly; she later had plenty of political fights with the oil companies (including BP as well as ExxonMobil and others) in her time as state governor.

Mrs Palin has drawn plenty of criticism from a variety of sources and uses the opportunity that this book affords to hit back at those critics, often explaining how things have been distorted by the media. Having had my own relatively minor experience of being in British national newspapers, I have sympathy with victims of media distortion, so I don't blame Mrs Palin for hitting back via this book, but I can see that others will react badly. At least my story was a one-day wonder with no lasting consequences, but things are different for those who go into politics, sport or showbiz.

Mrs Palin clearly isn't impressed by the way the Republican presidential campaign was handled, and clearly feels that she wasn't able to contribute effectively to the campaign, but the aftermath was even worse. While some Republicans were happy to cast her as the scapegoat, some Democrats launched a sustained campaign against her that exploited freedom of information laws. Ultimately, this created problems for the legislative process as well as personal difficulties for the Palin family, all described in detail, causing Mrs Palin to decide that she had to quit as governor with a year still to run, even though she was never found guilty of anything. As she acknowledges, that decision to quit may kill her political career, but Mrs Palin says that she did what she felt was right for Alaska. Inevitably in such situations, people will believe whatever they choose to.

I expect Mrs Palin will return to public life in some capacity eventually. That might be as a presidential candidate, but it might alternatively be as champion of a cause dear to her heart. Her vice-presidential campaign generated enormous hope among disabled people, while her love of Alaska makes her passionate about environmental issues. So there's two obvious issues, but I'm sure there are others.

Would I vote for Mrs Palin, given the chance? I don't know because I'd need to know more about issues not discussed in this book, but I'd like the option.

I can see why this book - and the author - are so controversial. Fans of Mrs Palin will love this book, while critics will be furious. Both are likely to have their opinions reinforced by reading this book. Coming from a position of ignorance, I'll just say that I found this book to be compulsive reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars A review of the book, not the person., December 15, 2009
I'll admit to being a fan of Sarah Palin, but that does not compel me to write a glowing review of this book. So, here's a try at a quick review of the book without venting my personal politics.

Reading this book is like having Sarah Palin over for coffee and having her tell you stories from her life, starting with her childhood and through her resignation from the governorship of Alaska.

That might be a pleasant and fun experience, but with a book you can't ask follow-up questions and get more information about a subject that particularly interests you, and with a conversation you can't expect it to be tightly organized.

So, I found myself wanting some more detail about some parts of her life, like what it was like during the campaign (although I got a good idea of why McCain's campaign failed, and I think he deserved to.) And, I wanted a bit more organization. I wanted the material divided into smaller, more focused chapters with a tighter chronology. And I wanted an index, so I find that exact page where she wrote about holding still-warm moose eyeballs in her hands.

The most revealing chapter to me was at the end where she described the use of what I can best describe as "terrorism by lawsuit" to bankrupt her personally and keep her from doing her job as governor. I got the impression that she had been rendered incapable of doing her job as governor before she actually resigned, so what her resignation accomplished was to free her up to do what she thought was important, and it got the state of Alaska a functioning governor again. And finally, this chapter made me glad I bought this book if just a bit of my money went to pay off her legal bills.

Somehow I doubt this will be the last biography of Sarah Palin.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Boring, January 6, 2010
I got the book from the library and read it so I could get a sense of why this woman is so popular. I was bored to pieces with the book, but muscled through it, and really didn't find anything appealing in there. Sure, it's nice that she's just like everyone else out there, but what else is there to her?

What I did find was that she is not responsible for anything that's gone wrong in her life. She and McCain lost the campaign because the McCain staffers kept too tight of a lid on her. They fed her BS non-answers to use instead of letting her answer her own way. They didn't let her talk to the press. They didn't let her jog.

Then after the campaign her office was flooded with ethics violation complaints, enough so that her staff could no longer perform their duties, and she could no longer perform as Governor. I found the book a bit on the whiny side.

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't get it, December 3, 2009
I'm really not "getting" this book. Was Sarah Palin intent to put her best foot forward with an eye on future opportunity, or charm the already charmed? I think it must be the latter. Am I the only one who is finding these escalating contentions that is dividing America frightening? If it was her intent to put her best foot forward, I would think she would have showcased herself as a wise leader and lay off the retaliation politics.

Her lack of empathy in the fears of anyone other than her base makes me uncomfortable and makes her look extreme. Her fans feel she stands for America, but we are a pluralistic nation and I'm surprised she doesn't see the danger in escalating hatred between Americans. She is not the only one who understands conservative fiscal responsibility but why does she never asks herself what might motivate the opposing views? Are all her critics just wicked, wicked people? Or maybe oil barons or welfare queen? A little insight goes a long way. And yet, I believe she really does think this hated that is consuming us good for the country. I, for one, do not share this view, but it's good to know where she stands.

Okay, I read most of it but, I admit I skimmed through some pages before I had to return it to the library. And her early life was interesting enough, with that bubbly, can-I-be-any-more-clever attitude, although some of her motivations made me scratch my head, it was readable. And, as to the truth of her accounts, well, Google them yourself. Everyone will see what they want to see. The last part of the book is what everyone is talking about, the McCain campaign. I personally think she comes off as naive. What was she expecting in her run for vice president? Of course you would be handled by strategists who coordinate the campaign. It was their job to keep the candidates in synch, tell them what to wear, what issue to emphasize. Her job was to listen, work hard, and be prepared. Not every situation calls for a rogue. This I-got-to-be me stuff can be abrasive to many. And while she doesn't directly criticize him, I think a little more loyalty to the man who gave her chance would have been gracious.

So, I gave it three stars, not because I became a fan of SP, but because the book was revealing, has solid contents and is well enough written. I see most the reviewers here are offering their opinions on SP, slinging little nasties at their neighbors, and side tracking issues. On that note, let me say, obviously she does connect with some, but I found her voice to be whiney, rather snarky, and paranoid, with an inability to listen well to others. In the end, OMG, she's no rogue, she is just like us! So, to her fans, call me all the names you want, I just don't see what you see. These qualities make her neither hero nor a villain, they just make her common.

1.0 out of 5 stars We liked her a lot more before she started talking., January 26, 2010
Alan Seegert (Denali Park, AK) - See all my reviews
When she was first elected Gov., and especially when she seemed to be capable of pushback against the trans-national oil companies that practically run Alaska, Alaskans loved Sarah. She lost a lot of popularity during the Presidential election, and then of course when she prematurely resigned.

This book is more than anything a revisionist attempt to vent frustrations and to get even. Sarah herself has nothing of interest to say on the national stage, and this book accurately reflects that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unqualified & Bitter...Bitter & Unqualified, May 31, 2011
I cheated on the first of the Palin books. Instead of reading "Going Rogue", I listened to the audiobook as read by the author. After 8 hours of Sarah Palin in my ears...My head is about to explode :-)

One thing that I sort of agree on her with is that the solution to our energy concerns is "All of the Above". I would qualify my "All of the Above"to the extent that more drilling and more digging would be limited to that which is necessary to provide a "strategic bridge" to renewable energy sources such as wind, wave and solar.

Beyond that, I feel that she painted the portrait of someone who is/was "shockingly naive", who has a serious victim complex and who is intellectually & culturally unremarkable.

She talked glowingly about her small town, homey roots, but was clearly disconnected from and unprepared for the breadth and complexity of government, politics and media, as played in the "Lower 48"...though, she has seemed to pick up on the incessant whining from the Right about the so-called, left-leaning / main stream media. She complained relentlessly about how "staffers" from the "senior staff" as well as her "B" team "failed" her which seems to betray the spirit of "can-do" and "taking responsibility" that she promoted so well as being the Alaskan, if not, American way. Finally, from her "ho-hum" early life to her undistinguished & questionable college years to leaving her governorship without completing her term, she seems to bring little to the table to make her a compelling figure...much less presidential timber.

Harsh review I'm sure, but I'm going to pick up "America By Heart" and give her another try :-)

Going Rogue: An American Life
Going Rogue: An American Life by Sarah Palin (Hardcover - November 17, 2009)
$28.99 $4.89